• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Truck

VFF19

What county are you from? Judging from the pictures I would guess eastern OK. The truck's looking good so far, keep up the good work!
Thank you, your the first real positive post. lol. south central ok, near the ada area if you know where thats at:beer:

Engine5

Good looking truck. There was one in a few towns over when I was going through District 7 Fire training. It was in the process of being built a few years back in Uxbridge MA. Not sure how it turned out, but it looks just like yours. Nice job.

VFF19

Good looking truck. There was one in a few towns over when I was going through District 7 Fire training. It was in the process of being built a few years back in Uxbridge MA. Not sure how it turned out, but it looks just like yours. Nice job.
Thanks! Good to see we have some hose draggers on this site. How you enjoying the fire service?

Engine5

By the way, welcome to SS. It is a great site, but like anything there is always someone who is gonna pi$$ you off. None the less, it is still a great site.

VFF19

Theres a volunteer fire station in Taloga OK that has quite the MV collection like yours. Not as pretty though lol
Thank you. Like I said, there's alot of them used here. Yea I thought just cause we couldn't afford a new 100k$ tanker(tender) doesn't mean we can have a bad ass looking truck lol

Engine5

Not so much, I got hurt at a fire in 09, tore 3 rotator cuff tendons and severed a bicep tendon. Had 3 operations on it so far, and maybe #4 coming up. Now I just listen to the scanner and wait for the calls from guys at the station to tell me about a stucture fire I missed.

VFF19

By the way, welcome to SS. It is a great site, but like anything there is always someone who is gonna pi$$ you off. None the less, it is still a great site.
Yea I figured that just didn't think it would happen so soon lol. I think I will stick around, id like to learn more about the deuce

VFF19

Not so much, I got hurt at a fire in 09, tore 3 rotator cuff tendons and severed a bicep tendon. Had 3 operations on it so far, and maybe #4 coming up. Now I just listen to the scanner and wait for the calls from guys at the station to tell me about a stucture fire I missed.
Im sorry to hear that. Most people don't understand how dangerous it can be. We put our lifes on the line for anyone. My life has definatly changed since I've been a firefighter/Emt. It makes you look at life differently and I would never trade that for anything. Only thing I hate is the political aspect. Were having a huge debate over territorial problems with a different dept in a different county. I hope your next surgery goes Excelent and you have a great recovery. Its not what we do, its who we are. May God bless you and your family in your time of need

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not lecturing anyone, Im stating the facts. Just about every NFPA reg has a dead firefighter's name behind the reason it came into being. Listen to any seminar that Chief Billy Goldfeder gives, you'll hear the stories.

If your governing body doesnt have enough $ for the right equipment, tell your lawmakers and get them to give you the funding you need. If they dont, vote them out and get in people who will give you the funding. It's funny how the $ you ask for starts arriving in an election year. Apply for every grant out there. Have fund drives, bake sales, whatever it takes.

If I go inside, I wear my gear, breathe from a SCBA, use hose and ladders, and have a radio on me that have all been built, tested, repaired and used as per the NFPA standards. I see no reason why getting to the scene and back to the station is any different. It should be done in a NFPA 1901 apparatus. My voluneteer dept is not swimming in $, but we have the right gear we need to do our jobs to keep us and the public safe.

Im sorry it's your first day here and that I jumped on you. I mean no disrespect to your truck building skills. We have tons of info availible on MV's of every size and shape. I welcome you aboard. I'm also a FF who belives safety is Job #1 and rates right next to going home in one piece from the last call.

The problem with home brew stuff is that lawmakers see that you can "make due" with home brew, and they think it is OK, and give $ to other entities, as your "doing OK with what you have". Show them your not, and get the $ for the right tools.

Engine5

God has blessed me with patience for dealing with it. And blessed my family with the same. Only God knows how this woman deals with me lol. The toughest thing is being bored, I was used to working 12 hrs days, then going on calls at night. Fishing, scuba, hunting and major yard work has all been put aside for now. But the killer is...I cant drive my Deuce.
But I do have some fun, I always go out trolling for Ins investigators. They are not the brightest bunch. I take them for long rides then i come home for lunch. I invited 1 out for coffee because he was sitting in the same spot for hours.
Getting hurt is alway a possibilty with the job, but I was injured because somebody else was screwing off.
And a good insurance policy makes a world of difference. Not sure if I will ever be able to go back to the FD when its over, I was told not to expect any overhead work with that arm again. But I am also the Asst. Director of the Emergency Management Agency in town (another vol position) but I love that and I dont have to use my left arm much. But I would love to get back into a pc of heavy equipment again, that was my reg job. I miss the smell of diesel fuel, dirt and coffee every morning.

VFF19

Im not lecturing anyone, Im stating the facts. Just about every NFPA reg has a dead firefighter's name behind the reason it came into being. Listen to any seminar that Chief Billy Goldfeder gives, you'll hear the stories.

If your governing body doesnt have enough $ for the right equipment, tell your lawmakers and get them to give you the funding you need. If they dont, vote them out and get in people who will give you the funding. It's funny how the $ you ask for starts arriving in an election year. Apply for every grant out there. Have fund drives, bake sales, whatever it takes.

If I go inside, I wear my gear, breathe from a SCBA, use hose and ladders, and have a radio on me that have all been built, tested, repaired and used as per the NFPA standards. I see no reason why getting to the scene and back to the station is any different. It should be done in a NFPA 1901 apparatus. My voluneteer dept is not swimming in $, but we have the right gear we need to do our jobs to keep us and the public safe.

Im sorry it's your first day here and that I jumped on you. I mean no disrespect to your truck building skills. We have tons of info availible on MV's of every size and shape. I welcome you aboard. I'm also a FF who belives safety is Job #1 and rates right next to going home in one piece from the last call.

The problem with home brew stuff is that lawmakers see that you can "make due" with home brew, and they think it is OK, and give $ to other entities, as your "doing OK with what you have". Show them your not, and get the $ for the right tools.
Well said. Its not so easy in my area to get what we need. In fact my dept is in the more higher up dept( most of our trucks are good and we have the right gear) most can't get anything they need. Moneys tight everywhere. We apply for tons of grants and only get a few for things we need. We can't get our law makers to do anything really. Its not that we don't try, they just think other things are more important. I've been to many states and most volunteer dept are pretty good because the city helps out. We don't have that. Our only new nice trucks are our brush trucks.
Safety is always number one. That is taught in the millions of classes I've taken lol, and extremely stressed in the advanced fire a ademy I went through. Vehicle accidents not only can happen but will happen. We just have to do our best to be as safe as possible. As a fellow ff I wish you the safest career and may God protect you

VFF19

God has blessed me with patience for dealing with it. And blessed my family with the same. Only God knows how this woman deals with me lol. The toughest thing is being bored, I was used to working 12 hrs days, then going on calls at night. Fishing, scuba, hunting and major yard work has all been put aside for now. But the killer is...I cant drive my Deuce.
But I do have some fun, I always go out trolling for Ins investigators. They are not the brightest bunch. I take them for long rides then i come home for lunch. I invited 1 out for coffee because he was sitting in the same spot for hours.
Getting hurt is alway a possibilty with the job, but I was injured because somebody else was screwing off.
And a good insurance policy makes a world of difference. Not sure if I will ever be able to go back to the FD when its over, I was told not to expect any overhead work with that arm again. But I am also the Asst. Director of the Emergency Management Agency in town (another vol position) but I love that and I dont have to use my left arm much. But I would love to get back into a pc of heavy equipment again, that was my reg job. I miss the smell of diesel fuel, dirt and coffee every morning.
Lifes tuff, but everything happens for a reason and God has a plan. Hopefully your recovery is better than expected and you can go about living your life the way you want. Its sad to hear that your injury is from a mistake from a fellow ff. I wish all ff could have the best of training and knowledge of safety.
Emergency managing can be fun also depending on how involved they are in what you do. We have one paid EM and a few volys. Our paid EM does an excellent job and is very active in our depts. He is good at what he does and helps everyone tremendously.
But hey it could be worse(not saying your injury isn't bad) you could be paralyzed eating from a tube. I would imagine your family is very greatfull you made it out alive. Its hard to see a fellow ff hurt, it doesn't matter who you are. Goodluck and get better.

Atomic

Well I'm not a FF but well done. Welcome to the site and enjoy it.

I tempted to go off on a rant on standards, rules, codes, and the like but I won't. I believe that given enough time there will be standard for the icecream scoop and people will rejoice and sing praises, then go out and turn in the people with the old scoop.

Yes there maybe a good intention behind it but usaully that makes it that much harder to do or obtain.

If it works then use it. Be safe and welcome to the site.

Respectfully,

R. Harper

Hopefully you only let guys with CDL's drive that. My scariest time driving a fire truck was driving a tanker by myself no one to read the map book wasnt sure where I was going and our heavy rescue was hauling ass I was trying to keep up and I came really close to sliding it into a ditch and most likely flipping it making a hard right hand turn. Thank god it got traction before I got to the ditch or I probably wouldn't be here right now.

In my own defense I was a newb never should have been allowed any where near the **** truck. All I wanted to do was ride backwards LOL

M715VFD405

First off nice truck you have done a great service to your community and dept building it. Welcome to the site from not only someone that spent most of there life in a small vol dept but also from a fellow Oklahoman. I grew up in central tx and know full well the difficulties in getting funding for new equipment. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't gone looking for info on my depts old grass rigs which happen to be converted MV's M715s and are prolly far from NFPA standards. Before I left for OK we had gotten a shiny new FS Grass rig it was declared a lemon within a year so don't listen to everyone that thinks they know everything on this or any site. My first question to someone that thinks that trying to get grants and raising money for high $$$ equipment is this "How many lives and property will be destroyed while we wait for help to come?" We small dept make do with what we have and what we can get. Trust me if it was easy to get that kinda funding there isn't a dept out there that wouldn't have the "newest and best". One of the departments I was in in Tx lost a firefighter to a tanker roll over and it wasn't a deuce, any tanker can roll no matter if it's NFPA or not. If I heard it once I heard it 1000 times if you don't make it to the scene safely you can't help and you'll pull those that can away to help you so don't drive like a fool. But that's my 2cents take it for what it's worth. Personally I think you have done a great job and thank you for it and good luck on your own deuce when you get it. there are a lot out there and Tinker sells some every now and then. Feel free to join in on some of the Oklahoma SS events also. We would be glad to have you.

VFF19

First off nice truck you have done a great service to your community and dept building it. Welcome to the site from not only someone that spent most of there life in a small vol dept but also from a fellow Oklahoman. I grew up in central tx and know full well the difficulties in getting funding for new equipment. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't gone looking for info on my depts old grass rigs which happen to be converted MV's M715s and are prolly far from NFPA standards. Before I left for OK we had gotten a shiny new FS Grass rig it was declared a lemon within a year so don't listen to everyone that thinks they know everything on this or any site. My first question to someone that thinks that trying to get grants and raising money for high $$$ equipment is this "How many lives and property will be destroyed while we wait for help to come?" We small dept make do with what we have and what we can get. Trust me if it was easy to get that kinda funding there isn't a dept out there that wouldn't have the "newest and best". One of the departments I was in in Tx lost a firefighter to a tanker roll over and it wasn't a deuce, any tanker can roll no matter if it's NFPA or not. If I heard it once I heard it 1000 times if you don't make it to the scene safely you can't help and you'll pull those that can away to help you so don't drive like a fool. But that's my 2cents take it for what it's worth. Personally I think you have done a great job and thank you for it and good luck on your own deuce when you get it. there are a lot out there and Tinker sells some every now and then. Feel free to join in on some of the Oklahoma SS events also. We would be glad to have you.
Thank you very much sir, and well said. Im glad there is someone locally that can understand how it is. Just because its NFPA, doesnt mean someone cant get hurt. Just have to be safe. We get wrote up for driving to fast, or wreckless. So its not like were just a bunch of idiots not having any business in doing this. People have to understand that. The fire service is almost completely changed from several years ago. I plan to find me a deuce soon, does tinker auction or straight out sell? Im glad to see a bunch of firefighters and Oklahomans on this site. Starting to feel more like home lol. Stay safe.

VFF19

Hopefully you only let guys with CDL's drive that. My scariest time driving a fire truck was driving a tanker by myself no one to read the map book wasnt sure where I was going and our heavy rescue was hauling ass I was trying to keep up and I came really close to sliding it into a ditch and most likely flipping it making a hard right hand turn. Thank god it got traction before I got to the ditch or I probably wouldn't be here right now.

In my own defense I was a newb never should have been allowed any where near the **** truck. All I wanted to do was ride backwards LOL
CDLs no, must of our guys are older, the younger guys only wanna drive Brush trucks. Our guys are tested and if they dont pass then they cant drive it

quickfarms

Nice truck

You are using a low profile tank that will keep the CG low and reduce the chance of rollover.

Your department appear to have a driver training requirement in place which is good.

You should be appauded for helping your community

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks