• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cracked frame by steering box

notsosanestan

So since my shackles were broken guess it cracked the frame too. The top left and Bottom right holes where the bolts go through to the steering box pulled through and left holes. Anyone ever fix this problem? i already ordered the reinforcement plates but still amd kinda of worried.. might just find a new truck and swap over all my parts if i can find a m1009 with a blown motor or something.

dstang97

I guess you have a m1009. They are more prone to breaking there than the 08's. If it happened to me i would go to ORD and by the brace and the weld on patch kit and find a good welder.

TGP (IL)

Have repaired many. Common problem if the bolts are allowed to work loose.
Use your kit bolt securely and your good to go.
If unsure of your welding ability find someone.
TGP

john wilson3

has anybody had a problem with the steering box on an m1008 i have a 6" inch lft and 37" tires when the wheel is turned it makes a snaping noise and the box moves slightly and the bolts are tight im going to unbolt it tomorrow and check frame just wanted to know if any one else has had a simular problem

sweetk30

yep big tires and off road use = cracked frame.

look here and get 1 bolt in brace and 1 weld in brace if you have a cracked frame . and fix the frame first then weld in kit and last is bolt in. thay WORK ! !

all my chevys have the bolt in kit as my frames are not cracked.

also check for stripped threads on the 4 box holes were the bolts go.

part place for your needs : ORD Chevy GM Steering Box Brace and Bolt-in Frame Repair

Hot Duck

I had a 1989 Blazer lifted 11" and running 39" tires. Needless to say it developed the same problem that you have. I installed a repair kit and then put it back together and never had any more problems with it.

jethrobyte

m1009_broken_frame.jpgGlad I found this thread. This is what happens when you never check your steering gearbox bolts.

Has anyone here repaired a hole this big in your frame? Any pointers or suggestions on the best way to fill up that hole?

Chaski

Impressive!

Click on the link in post 6 and scroll down to the weld in frame repair. That is where you need to start, along with someone who is skilled at welding.

jethrobyte

Thanks! I already got the plates and bracket from ORD, now for the prep work... I'm most concerned with getting that raised part (what is now missing/the hole) on the same level as the other 3 holes. A few angles there...

honda

Thanks! I already got the plates and bracket from ORD.

Lots of folks, including myself, have successfully made this repair with the ORD parts. Suggestion......read the ORD directions very well and follow them. If you use an outside welder, discuss the ORD instructions with the welder in advance and agree with the welder upon how he will apply those beads.

For a better understanding of why ORD provided specific instructions they sent with the gear, consider calling ORD before proceeding. They have a story to tell about over-heating the frame. This is not a difficult fix. You may need to hog out those bolt holes after the repair. I always check hardware tightness at each oil change. Just my 2 cents.

russojap

I'm glad this interesting subject came up.Is this type of damage preventable just by checking the tightness of the bolts? Is there some way to permanently tighten the bolts? Is there some kind of additional reinforcement that can be added before damage occurs?

This is the first I've heard of this issue and have never looked at mine, so I'll definitely be checking it.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

Last edited:

chevymike

I'm glad this interesting subject came up.Is this type of damage preventable just by checking the tightness of the bolts? Is there some way to permanently tighten the bolts? Is there some kind of additional reinforcement that can be added before damage occurs?

This is the first I've heard of this issue and have never looked at mine, so I'll definitely be checking it.

Thanks in advance for any additional information.
If your frame is not already cracked, then ORD offers a steering brace kit to prevent it. If it is, they offer a frame repair piece too. I put the brace on my last M1010 and will on my current one.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used Lock Tite on these bolts? If I knew they were prone to loosening on their own, I would use Lock Tite. In fact, I use this stuff on almost everything if I know I'm not going to have remove the bolt on a regular basis. I also use nyloc nuts on almost everything for the same reason. I only buy grade 8 hardware too. I know it might be overkill but I don't have a lot of hardware failure issues.

jethrobyte

I finally got the hole in the frame plugged. I used an old lawnmower blade as repair material. My welding is terrible, but better than nothing (I hope).

I also noticed the power steering bracket was broken, so I had to fix that too. Maybe that's why I could never get the power steering belt to tighten..

20191024_144313.jpg20191020_171647.jpg20191021_170712.jpgi20191020_102415.jpg20191020_132702.jpg20191020_162734.jpgs20191024_163727.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks