• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m105 at Ft stewart pick-up

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won a M105 at Ft Stewart and the EUC has cleared. Is there anyone in the area who can get it off post ?

chuck

3dAngus

I just towed two M105s to Florida on back to back weekends in a pickup.

No problem at all. You just need the pintle that has an elevated adjustment to it to raise it a bit. Towed great. Braking was not a problem, but of course, would have been better with air. It just never pushed me like I thought it would after hearing about it on line. I was driving a new Chevy 4wd Z-71.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have plenty of equipment to move a iddy biddy m105 trailer. I don't have the time to run down there during the week. Wayne has been kind enough to offer his services.

mdmorganwife

Iddy biddy, that's funny. But really, people think these things are so huge and that you have to use a deuce to pull one, I just got rid of my m101 cause I never used it. Since I got the m105, I prefer it. Behind my Dodge Ram 2500 that is.

3dAngus

I have plenty of equipment to move a iddy biddy m105 trailer. I don't have the time to run down there during the week. Wayne has been kind enough to offer his services.
I know that. I was talking to Strynine. He seems to think you need a Deuce.

olewhiskey

You probably got tied up with some no account hauling his M35a3 to the middle of nowhere,...[thumbzup]

Jimma

I pulled mine home from Waynes place with my Dodge 1500 Crew Cab and did not even know it was back there. The only indication was the reduction in my fuel mileage as indicated on my digital information center on the truck. Trip down 25 mpg, trip home 13 mpg and that was attributed to weight and wind resistance because of the heigth of the trailer. Pulled great and a lot less tiring than driving 200 miles each way in my deuce, oh faster too.

3dAngus

I pulled mine home from Waynes place with my Dodge 1500 Crew Cab and did not even know it was back there. The only indication was the reduction in my fuel mileage as indicated on my digital information center on the truck. Trip down 25 mpg, trip home 13 mpg and that was attributed to weight and wind resistance because of the heigth of the trailer. Pulled great and a lot less tiring than driving 200 miles each way in my deuce, oh faster too.

Yeah, there are dozens of threads on this board about how you need something bigger than a pickup for a M-105. So much so, that it is misleading.

A pickup works fine with a M-105, provided it is "no-load", or empty. At 2600 pounds, not a problem at all. Kinda like towing a 18' boat. Just take it easy in town with a lot of lights.

Now if it was loaded to the hilt, another situation entirely. 5000 pounds is a lot of weight behind a 1/2 ton pickup. Especially without brakes. That would be a NO-GO!

So the unsaid word in all these threads on towing the M-105 is, is it empty, or is it loaded?

There is no way I'm going to pull a M-105 with a Deuce 2-300 miles empty, when a pickup has all the creature comforts, is safe, and you get much better gas mileage. If I was taking the Deuce anyways, totally different story.

strycnine

Ok, you guys convinced me to give it a try.

I think I need a taller pintle hitch than what I have now? Well, it's a borrowed hitch and I need one of my own, so who has a good deal on the 12 inch ones?

What temp should my transmission be running while towing something like a M105? Running light it stays around 151 and pulling my M101 it stays around 182.

poppop

I have a pintle I used to bring mine home and a couple more. it is raised some but the trailer still rides low in the front. My one ton truck handled it like it was not back there.

3dAngus

Ok, you guys convinced me to give it a try.

I think I need a taller pintle hitch than what I have now? Well, it's a borrowed hitch and I need one of my own, so who has a good deal on the 12 inch ones?

What temp should my transmission be running while towing something like a M105? Running light it stays around 151 and pulling my M101 it stays around 182.
If you're talking about a pickup transmission temp, it will vary from truck to truck, but a difference of 30 degrees doesn't sound right. Outside temp makes all the difference in the world.

On my Chevy Z-71, with nothing towed, it reads 165 degrees on cool mornings, 180 on a hot afternoon. Pulling a M105 it goes up to 188-190 pulling on the 97 degree days.

strycnine

I drove for two hours on the way back from Juliette puling a M101 and it stayed around 182. Today going to work not towing it stayed around 151. I wil check into this more when I go pick up the other M101.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks