• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ammo Can Tent/Space/Enviroment heater...

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ammo Can, Tent/Space/Heater...

I had twa@ezdn.net Build me a few Ammo Can Heaters, Yesterday I received the heaters and decided to check out how well they worked. Pictured is a heater sprayed with Hi Heat flat black paint on the exterior. The Front door has a quality hinge system with over sized rivets, a slide vent for intake air and a latch to keep it shut. The Top has a baffled 4" reducer to 3" exhaust stove pipe coupler to attach the main pipe to exhaust up and outside the tent or environment. The Bottom has 4-6" Carriage bolts drilled and properly mounted inside for sturdy construction. The inside bottom has a raised Stainless Steel grate the same as the grill for ash. Also on top near the front Tim installed a secondary 6" Hot plate to set a coffee pot or small cooking pan on. Check this out. The Bottom is the Top which latches to drop the ash out. Ingenious construction I thought.

Tonight outside on the deck I am going to burn some Oak and a few small chunks of coal to get the heat up and try to warp the sucker. I have a laser beam thermostat I will check the temps and report my findings.

So far this Heaters Quality Construction meets or exceeds the Ammo Box Grill sturdy and well thought out.

If you find this heater interesting and want one, please support your fellow Steel Soldiers member and contact twa@ezdn.net

Thanks for looking. Don

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE ON HEATER 8-20-2011

I fired up the heater for testing purposes, this what I found so far. I used a wad of dried oak leafs under some small pieces of good seasoned firewood. I also added about 8 charcoal brickets. After 2 hours I added 3 small chunks of coal. My mission was to heat up the unit as hot as I could with every scenario I could think of.

I was going to use a laser beam temperature device to get exact measurements and report my findings. The problem is I CANT FIND IT, GRRRRRRRRRRR. So I took a a picture of my hand as close as I can get without extreme discomfort. I will update tomorrow my findings after the coal burns all night, I have a feeling there will be no warping but we will have to wait and see.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size can? how much does he charge?

Thanks for the response, contact twa@ezdn.net for prices.

The Manufactures name is TIM, I bought 4 heaters and 2 BBQ Grills, The shipping was reasonable and Tim is a good man to deal with.

I dropped off my second grill and 1 heater at our local Military Supply store. The owner Steve was so impressed at the quality of construction he cleared off a space on the counter for a display and put a $125.00 price tag on each. Steve also ordered 10 Grills and 10 Heaters. If you want to order one I would recommend getting one of each, saves on shipping costs.

I know for a fact Tim will do way better on a price, remember the store has to turn a buck.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE 8-21-2011

It has been 20 Hours since I heated up this heater, I got the coals stoked and threw in 3 base ball size chunks of coal to heat up the unit for testing purposes and so far so good.Coal burns way hotter than wood so it is a good reference source for testing. The Ammo can has not warped as I thought it might and is still extremely hot 1' to touch. I expect the coal to burn out by the end of the day, if there is any change I will post it. I must say I am impressed. Good radiant heat and no smell what so ever.

mdmorganwife

Is the rubber gasket still in the lid? I wouldn't think so but I am curious. We have quite a few 40mm ammo cans that we can't seem to get rid of so we are looking at other things to do with them, and this looks like a really good idea.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
islandguydon,

How did the coal work out? I am also working on a mod for the stove if it works like I hope I will send you one.

Thanks Tim
The coal burned out in a day and a half. The inser paint was seasond well and the exterior hi heat black is still new looking. The top, side and bottom did not warp as I expected it to so THUMBS UP TIM, Your good to go.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the rubber gasket still in the lid? I wouldn't think so but I am curious. We have quite a few 40mm ammo cans that we can't seem to get rid of so we are looking at other things to do with them, and this looks like a really good idea.

The rubber is gone on mine. Contact Tim he will hook you up. Thanks for lookin.

Don

twa@ezdn.net

mdmorganwife,
Yes you need to take out the rubber seal. The lid will not snap shut anymore so you will need to drill a hole install a bolt and wing nut to keep handle in the closed position . Works fine.
I traded a stove to combatmech for some 20mm cans and I am working on a stove design for it, and a center console for my CUCV.

Tim

twa@ezdn.net

I love that I need to put one in my deuce I dont have a heater
I am in the process of a M101a2 hard top build, and plan to install one of the stoves in it. It will have some design changes such as an opening to the outside with a valve for combustion air and heat sheilding. Find a safe way to rout the stove pipe and I think you would be fine. Warm it up before you go to bed and then in the morning with a coffee pot on it and getting in and out of bed just got more comfortable.
Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks