• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I build another MRAP? Need your advice/criticism, please.

scyros35

Hi All;

I’ve been on this site for a few years, but have never posted (purchased a few classified listings and read a lot of great advice, thank you!!). But I have a question that probably only this group can really answer so I am ending my lurker status;-).

I recently built an MRAP replica (cross between a South African Casspir and a Force Protection, Inc. Cougar) for a film project, and now that we have that one under our belt, I’m real curious to see if anyone thinks we should build another.

It’s built on an M35A2 (hence posting to this thread) for the reliability and capability, but would people rather see it on a 5-ton?

Is there a market for something like this? And should we make any changes, scrap the design althoghter, or do you have any suggestions for improvements in general?

Is it too big? Should I do it on one of our Bob 2-1/2 tons?

So don’t be afraid to be honest and let me know what you really think – I can take any and all criticism, and would actually welcome it, as these are not cheap to build.

Thanks,

-Steve Cyros

PorscheHPIM0049.jpg PorscheHPIM0055Gallery2.jpg ViewHPIM0002OverG1.jpg

ViewHPIM0006OverG2.jpg OtherHPIM0038G3.jpg InsideHPIM0145.jpg

OtherHPIM0041.jpg BackHPIM0106Gallery.jpg BackHPIM0114.jpg

UnderHPIM0177Gallery1.jpg

kennys@wi.rr.com

That's a very interesting build you have. I would think if you start with a 5 ton you might have a better over all platform to start with. You would have power steering, the HEMTT wheels bolt right on, larger tires for even more ground clearance. But no matter what you have a pretty cool looking truck there already.

jaxsof

Nice Truck! I have thought about making a replica (of a different, foreign, vehicle), but havent followed through, yet.

tomcata3

That thing looks cool, I saw it on ebay. You should have sealed the floor in the back( I can see daylight from pics of under truck). How are you suppossed to get the spare tire down, it must take 3 guys . You also should have fold down seats in back
If you were going to build another I would do it on a 5ton with automatic trans and have some kind of device to lower spare tire
You make nice trucks[thumbzup]

exbrown

Nice looking truck. M35A3 would be a good truck to use if you want to stay with the Deuce. I would also think a 5 ton would work great.

Boarding ladder
Troop seats
Fans or cooling
2 bucket seats in the front so you can move from front to back
Top hatch / gun ring / lookout perch
racks or lockers for equipment in the back

Good luck and keep us up to date on your new build.[thumbzup]

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How is the frame flex on the body? I don't see any separation between the cab and rear. For a prop it is kool, but my guess is it would be pretty in side of it. Please start an album in your user CP of the build if possible.

Last edited:

KsM715

Nicely done for a parade/carshow vehicle. The only thing that bugs me about it (as fars a asthetics) is the hood/front end. Its to blocky. You have angles on the cab and box, it should have matching angles on the hood sides and front.

Is that spare mount braced at all? It looks like if you swung it out it would rip right off the box.

Varyag

it looks really fun, and awesome to make an RV out of, but I agree that frame flex would be an issue looking at just the pics.

I agree with the 5 ton Idea but make it out of a 818 so it isn't a block long.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The National Training Center at Fort Irwin uses visually modified (vismod) M923 5 tons as substitutes for MRAPs. Most of the actual MRAPs have gone to OEF/OIF so they came up with some pretty good mockups for training. I've got some pictures of 'em from my last rotation earlier this year.

scyros35

That's a very interesting build you have. I would think if you start with a 5 ton you might have a better over all platform to start with. You would have power steering, the HEMTT wheels bolt right on, larger tires for even more ground clearance. But no matter what you have a pretty cool looking truck there already.
Excellent advice - that's exactly what I was hoping for. I've got a 5-ton in stock that we were going to Bob in the next week or two, but maybe a better idea is a bigger MRAP.

I do like the idea of power steering, and the 53" 16.00-20's would make it an absolute monster - although shipping it would probably be a problem because of the height. I'll put some pen to paper and see if I can work a design for a 5-ton.

Appreciate the kind words on this one too, thank you Kenny!! [thumbzup]

KsM715

Do you have any pics of how the pintle and shackles are attatched?

Criticism? Well you asked for it. After reading your ebay ad and all the bragging at the end about you and your shop I would atleast expect straight panels. The ebay photos really show how badly the sides and angled roof panels are. If Im going to do business with a multi-million dollar shop I would want million dollar results. Those panels look like something I would do in my driveway.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jeff, I noticed those as well and they are really prominent on the Ebay listing. I would think that the angled panel dimples were caused by welding without accounting for the heat transfer in the thinner steel.

If this was built for a movie then I suspect it didn't matter.

It still looks good, not perfect but good.

scyros35

Nice Truck! I have thought about making a replica (of a different, foreign, vehicle), but havent followed through, yet.
Thanks jaxsof, I appreciate it! Kind of been a dream of mine as well. Especially love the South African APC's used in the movie District 9. Would love to put a fleet of them together... Kind of partial to the Saracen as well, but that would be a lot more difficult.

-Steve

chicklin

Do you have any pics of how the pintle and shackles are attatched?

Criticism? Well you asked for it. After reading your ebay ad and all the bragging at the end about you and your shop I would atleast expect straight panels. The ebay photos really show how badly the sides and angled roof panels are. If Im going to do business with a multi-million dollar shop I would want million dollar results. Those panels look like something I would do in my driveway.
In his defense, the ad does say "Looks Bad From Any Angle" :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks