• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I build another MRAP? Need your advice/criticism, please.

scyros35

Man, you guys are GOOD! You're seeing just one of our shops, and it is only about a mile and a half from our warehouses for MREdepot and MREwholesalers. Probably 40 or so trucks at that location in various stages of assembly at any given time. Then about 8 miles north in San Juan Capistrano we have another bonded facility where all the military work comes in and goes out - you can probably find that if you look closely on Google Maps. We are about 25 miles north of the flightline at Camp Pendleton, and it's funny to see how many military helicopters fly over, double back and circle a couple of times. You know they're scratching their heads trying to figure out why so many military trucks in one place outside of the base...

scyros35

i dont know if this was a concept truck or if it was used for training...but here is a m923a2 converted to look like a Buffalo..
Crap, these are AWESOME Derrickl112, THANK YOU foe posting them! I see the 923 in it, and think maybe you found our next idea. Gonna give these to the guys and see what they think.

-Steve[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

peecook

i think its cool, shows creativity and something most average welders could create in their bed if they wanted. sounds like you didn't have control over the design, so that's not on you. i think its cool seeing something out of the box, even if it isn't for the purest m35 owner.

whats the ebay link? or whats it listed under?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m touched by your concern, thank you!

He said "Touched" ! Can't wait for the rebuttal and redirect. Where you at NDT?

Pass the popcorn!:D
OK, I was busy at jury duty.

Mr Steve:

I am not in the compliance business, but being a manufacturer, it annoys me to no end to see employees being abused. Can't you drop $15 on a chemical cartridge respirator for your poor painter? A particle mask don't cut it. We the public bear the brunt of these abuses when the guy shows up at the county hospital with black lung. Where is your $200K paint booth? You should picture it in your ads, rather than your in-shop painting operation which is in violation of:
IFC: Section 1504.2.5, Section 1504.1.2.6, Section 1.2.5, Section 1504.2.6, NFPA 33, and 29CFR 1910.107.b.5.IV. (as a start)

As far as you not being a vehicle manufacturer, I stated you were acting as a "completion manufacturer", which under 49CFR 500 series requires a host of certifications for your completed (final stage) vehicle. Did you think legitimate companies like Collins, Wheeled Coach and the like just throw vehicles on the market without going through the agony of compliance? Who excused MRE Depot?

Oh, and what was your CAGE code again? Missed that in your response.

A

A/C Cages

Meowwwww
Sorry, I thought I heard a cat fight going on in here. lolrofl

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a couple of the 5-ton MRAP trainers from Ft Irwin when I was instructing out there last year. They are based on 939-series trucks.
I have painted out a few pieces of equipment on them before posting, sorry. Those would make no difference to what you are doing anyway. :)
For those who might be concerned, most of the electronic gear on the roof in the pictures is Miles gear, it is not sensitive.

The interior is somewhat similar to what you have built, heavy square tubing frame with metal on the outside (actually, so is my V100). In the case of these vehicles, the skin steel is much thicker.
Since there is gear inside that might be considered sensitive, I won't post pictures of the interior. The troop seats are standard buckets from the Caiman, and are hung from the sides.
There is A/C, but it is still hot, stuffy and dusty in there!

Note at the rear the hull is shorter than the frame, allowing the large hinged ladder to be attached.

You asked for comments on your project, so here are mine, meant as positive critique-
The air conditioner vents on the front and sides look like that, a/c vents, same for the outlet covers. I'm guessing they are 'texture'?
Using standard US military clearance lights and reflectors would add authenticity.
On the front grill, perhaps use fewer, but heavier, slats.

For what its worth, I actually like the slab sided look of the front on yours.

Cheers

PS- you can't really read it in the pictures, but the lettering over the center window on each side of the passenger compartment reads "For training use only".

Attachments

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

I did read me through some seven pages of posts and replies, of which some are applausing to the job scyros35 did and some others found some differnecies in comparission with some government/local requirements.
As a motor vehicle inspector (of course not in the US, and not in Clalifornia), to my knowledge and experiance, the power train and the frame is original. Therefor it is NOT neccessarily a new vehicle, for the basic truck was NOT delivered as a incomplete vehicle (as found from the statements). Therefor scyros35 can not be the manufacturer according to US FMVSS. And must not fullfill the lateste exhaust emmission requirements.
So much to my informations about the US system of automotive registration requirements.
Next I have to say, beside the built up is a very nice try of a APMR truck, there are some, lets call it, design errors. How you want the get the blast of a mine directed from the struckture of the truck. At laest the platform of the rear body outside the frame must be V-shaped. The floor of the truck cab must be, as far as possilbele, be V-STM-500 or better. Side stepps without blast openings are not realistic, engine hoods (not side pannels) sould be as weak as possilbele to allow the blast of a mine to explode without major dammage to the engine. Side pannels should be armourd to withstand a RPG 7 attack without engine dammage.
So your next project should be based an a 5 ton 6x6, just to cover the the theoretical weight, even you built the truck not APMR.
The APMP trucks as a 4x4 have a gross weight of 18 to 19 tons (metric), the Buffalo 6 x 6 is arround 26 tons (metric). Below this weight the required protection level of STANG 3 is not possible. (look at the Canadian Actros with a CAB weight of 6.7 metric tons).
hope this makes not too much confusion!
Wolf

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
no you should not..

if so it should be boldly marked that it is a fake. Sort of misrepresents what a real vehicle is much in the same way as the fake HMMWvs do

It looks like alot of work went into it but in the end it looks very silly to me. kind of like a bread truck and landrover got together.

Last edited:

RDUKW

"Should I build another MRAP" NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the moderators should delete this thread due to it is purely here to draw attention to his Ebay ad in a indirect way in violation to the forum rules. He became a member last month to just promote his B.S. business.:deadhorse:

ALFA2

This is really a cool build, as for additions, it would work well on a 5ton, firing port on sides and back door that are live or look like they would be, a smoother transition between cab and cargo box, a large 5ton ? winch in front, remove that square bracket on back of frame around the pintle hitch.... wider grill slats out of heavy gauge steel angled to provide indirect air access to radiator. Also I believe the comments by exbrown here above are all good and helpful as well. Other than that great project you have put together. Thank you for sharing.
ALFA2

KsM715

"Should I build another MRAP" NO!!!!!!!!!!!! I think the moderators should delete this thread due to it is purely here to draw attention to his Ebay ad in a indirect way in violation to the forum rules. He became a member last month to just promote his B.S. business.:deadhorse:
His Profile says he joined Apr. 2010

I dont think this thread is doing anything positive for his ebay ad or business.

He has taken the criticism well and responded well. (Didn't get mad and defensive right away) I can appreciate that.

Edit: I do think the ebay ad is slightly misleading. It should state in the heading that it was built as a movie prop. But, I bet 90% of ebay ads are mis represented.

Last edited:

B3.3T

I disagree completely. There has been an extensive and dedicated discussion here on the merits of this truck and building more. Its exactly what this site is about. As for his eBay ads, OTHERS brought that up, not him. He stuck totally to his topic. From what I understand, this site is dedicated to all aspects of MVs, and not just hobbyists. There are a lot of folks on this site that are in some form of business relating to MVs and to single him out is unfair and not justified; again, HE stuck to his topic.

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand, this site is dedicated to all aspects of MVs, and not just hobbyists. .

The truck is no longer a MV. Its a choppred up home made movie prop. IMHO

Maybe we should add a new forum for Fake sudo-military vehicles.

ARYankee

I like the build and appreciate you sharing this with us. Hopefully in the future you will keep sharing more builds with us.

123mack

Personally, I dont see where it's any more fake or pseudo than a bobbed 5-ton or any other host of modded vehicles and equipment posted here over the years. A forum section for replicas of rare vehicles might be in order. In the last issue of ARMY MOTORS, someone built a replica of a WW1 army ambulance using a model T truck chassis. While the donor chassis was not an original military vehicle, it was a good replica of a vehicle that no longer exists.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks