• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Should I build another MRAP? Need your advice/criticism, please.

scyros35

Wow - not sure where to begin... Get ready for a novel ;-). Let me start by saying thank you to everyone for the support, kind words and especially for the excellent feedback on this truck as well as ideas for a future truck. They are sincerely appreciated, many thanks!!

I knew that this truck would not please everyone, heck – I am not sure that I would even want to own it personally. I had it built for a specific purpose, and now that it is done, I was actually just trying to gauge what people thought about it being worth building another one specifically for sale, and what kind of suggestions everyone had.

I’ll tell you – you did give me some great feedback and some excellent suggestions. I even got some good advice on what to incorporate and what not to do on a future truck out of the mean-spirited posts believe it or not, so I consider that to be valuable information as well.

And let me say this in my defense - I never started this thread with the intention of subverting the site or advertising a commercial endeavor. I never even mentioned that it was for sale, and then when pointed out by others, I never gave details or posted any links – not even the item number.

I feel like I know this group pretty wheel, as I have been reading posts and viewing suggestions and pointers here for probably 3 or more years. I never even for a second entertained the thought that anyone on this site being a potential customer for something like this – otherwise I would have saved the eBay fees and posted it for free in the classified! First off, I know most of you/us are purists when it comes to MVs and this replica is about as far from that as you can get.

Second, I know most of you are as capable as us, if not more – and would not pay retail for a truck that you could purchase wholesale and fix up yourself. So I never even considered trying to push a truck or push some of the parts we sell on anyone – just not my style and just the wrong group of folks. I honestly only wanted opinions – and I knew half would be negative, but was looking for that, as I knew that it would be truthful and from the gut. Exactly what I got and I am grateful.

As for the subject of where this thread belongs, I admit that it is a stretch for it to be on the Deuce Boards – but I spent time searching all the topics and did not find any other better suited place to post it. I put myself and this thread at the mercy of the moderators – if they feel it should be deleted or moved, I am OK with that.

But make no mistake – I never strayed off topic, and I never interjected a commercial pitch into any of my posts. If I wanted to advertise for customers, I would be a paying site supporter, or I would have pushed the 3 other vehicles that I have up for auction right now – 2 of them MVs.

Again, not my intention, not my customer base, and not my style. But I do find it humorous that I am accused of being off topic when there are at least a half dozen posts on completely unrelated topics here like respirators, cage codes, NHTSA Regs, my MRE business, paint booths, how my military contracts are structured and even the top speed of a deuce with super singles.

Now, even though we build on average 400 trucks a year, and if you have ever looked at us on eBay you would see that we sell 100 vehicles a year just at auction to the public and to this day with well over 15,300 overall feedbacks left since 2003, 100% of them positive, I never came on like we are high and mighty, have built more trucks than anyone on this site or built better trucks than anyone else – as I don’t think we can claim that.

Instead, I came with my tail between my legs and humbly put myself at the mercy of everyone here because I knew you would see things that I didn’t because I am too close to our process.

Some examples of the excellent suggestions I have received are; 5-ton for a future build, seal the floor, incorporate a way to get the spare down with one person, think about a boarding later or improve the square step at the back, bucket seats, a gun ring, change the way we wrap the steel, incorporate blast protection features (even though it would be for looks only), change the boxy front end, fold down seats in the back, fans or cooling, focus on the finish work, firing ports on the side – for all of those and the other great suggestions, I am grateful. Keep them coming, or if this thread is pissing off 10% of the group out there for various reasons, I am OK with ending it now and still consider it to be a very positive experience that was extremely worthwhile at least for me. You have a member for life, I can promise you that!

-Steve

RDUKW

The problem I have with Steve is there is just to many lies coming from him. His ads seem to be 25% B.S. and I will admit he does bring a good price on these trucks but I think part of the reason he does is due to the line of crap he post. I have had him tell me that he can legally drive a tractor trailer in California with a class C when I confronted him about telling potential buyers that they could drive these trucks with a standard class C. The other lie that I really have a problem with is him telling people in his early ads that he restored trucks for the DOD and the ones they did not want back he kept and sold when I know darn well that I was bidding against him for the same trucks on GL and the DOD does not restore trucks that are being discontinued.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I dont see where it's any more fake or pseudo than a bobbed 5-ton or any other host of modded vehicles and equipment posted here over the years. A forum section for replicas of rare vehicles might be in order. In the last issue of ARMY MOTORS, someone built a replica of a WW1 army ambulance using a model T truck chassis. While the donor chassis was not an original military vehicle, it was a good replica of a vehicle that no longer exists.

I could not agree with you more. The bobbers are almost exactly like this truck. except they are not masquerating as another type of vehicle. None meet 10/20 standard and should be some where else like kit cars or what if vehicles.

As far as the Model T ambulance. It is an almost exact replica built using an original chasis. There never was a military model t chasis. All were built on a standard T frame.

The fake MRAP is not a military vehicle. Its not a replica of a military vehicle. It is merely some sort of creation built on what was once a miliary vehicle. It may confuse the average person into thinking this is what we are putting our troops in but at the end of the day its just a movie prop.

Now don't get me wrong. Its your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. Some of the creations seen on here are amazing some not so much. But after cutting, lifiting or whatever it is no longer a military vehicle but maybe should be considered a custom with some military parts.

This is my opinion which means it probably not worth a whole lot.

Last edited:

scyros35

The problem I have with Steve is there is just to many lies coming from him. His ads seem to be 25% B.S. and I will admit he does bring a good price on these trucks but I think part of the reason he does is due to the line of crap he post. I have had him tell me that he can legally drive a tractor trailer in California with a class C when I confronted him about telling potential buyers that they could drive these trucks with a standard class C. The other lie that I really have a problem with is him telling people in his early ads that he restored trucks for the DOD and the ones they did not want back he kept and sold when I know darn well that I was bidding against him for the same trucks on GL and the DOD does not restore trucks that are being discontinued.
OK, now I have to suggest that you get your facts straight RDUKW.

Not only have I never told anyone that they would not need a CDL for a tractor trailer (let me just restate that so there is not any confusion - I have NEVER told anyone that a CDL would not be required on a Tractor Trailer, nor would I ever - and I have restored a bunch of them), but I haven't purchased vehicles on Government Liquidation for at least 6 months. I only use GL when I can't get enough inventory through my other channels, and that is infrequent at best.

So you are absolutely mistaken. Probably an honest mistake, but keep in mind when you accuse someone of lying that it should have a basis in fact not fantasy. For example, please tell me specifically on any of the 4 auctions I have on eBay right now what 25% of the listing is BS? Give me/us facts since you post it in a public forum. Check out the M1009, the M35A2 and the Volvo Mad Max/Dollhouse Semi and feel free to cut and paste so we can all see this 25% you refer to.

Do I offer a sales pitch when I sell a vehicle on eBay? Absolutely – every time. That’s my business, and I am selling a truck, no doubt about it. But you will not read anything on any of my descriptions that is not fact. You would very quickly see that reflected in my feedback, as all it takes is one angry customer to leave a negative.

I've read that I should clearly state in the title that this custom truck is a fake. Well, I understand that point, but understand that on eBay you only have the 55 charachters in the title to put all of your search keywords in it, so it is not the place. If you look at the very top of the listing where I put the title of what we are selling, it very clearly states that it is a replica. Then below that, it is very clear that it was built for a project - have not had a confused questions from anyone on eBay yet on that.

Back to auctions for a second. If you claim to be so knowledgeable on GL bidding, please tell us all how you know who you're bidding against. I'd love to know as it would be great information for all of us!!

And if you have ever been to a GL site to pick up a vehicle, look around for any trucks with "FMS" printed on the side. Most often they are on a seperate lot next to all the GL vehicles. Even if you don't see any, ask them what the FMS is for - every GL site manager will tell you what they are for and that they never make it into the public bidding arena.

Not sure what I did to personally piss you off, but if it is something I made a mistake on, you have my personal apology. I am not perfect, but I am always honest.

scyros35

I could not agree with you more. The bobbers are almost exactly like this truck. except they are not masquerating as another type of vehicle. None meet 10/20 standard and should be some where else like kit cars or what if vehicles.

As far as the Model T ambulance. It is an almost exact replica built using an original chasis. There never was a military model t chasis. All were built on a standard T frame.

The fake MRAP is not a military vehicle. Its not a replica of a military vehicle. It is merely some sort of creation built on what was once a miliary vehicle. It may confuse the average person into thinking this is what we are putting our troops in but at the end of the day its just a movie prop.

Now don't get me wrong. Its your truck and you can do whatever you want with it. Some of the creations seen on here are amazing some not so much. But after cutting, lifiting or whatever it is no longer a military vehicle but maybe should be considered a custom with some military parts.

This is my opinion which means it probably not worth a whole lot.
I understand your point and honestly can't say that I disagree with it. I appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. That is also some of the feedback I was looking for.

RDUKW

OK, now I have to suggest that you get your facts straight RDUKW.

Not only have I never told anyone that they would not need a CDL for a tractor trailer (let me just restate that so there is not any confusion - I have NEVER told anyone that a CDL would not be required on a Tractor Trailer, nor would I ever - and I have restored a bunch of them), but I haven't purchased vehicles on Government Liquidation for at least 6 months. I only use GL when I can't get enough inventory through my other channels, and that is infrequent at best.

So you are absolutely mistaken. Probably an honest mistake, but keep in mind when you accuse someone of lying that it should have a basis in fact not fantasy. For example, please tell me specifically on any of the 4 auctions I have on eBay right now what 25% of the listing is BS? Give me/us facts since you post it in a public forum. Check out the M1009, the M35A2 and the Volvo Mad Max/Dollhouse Semi and feel free to cut and paste so we can all see this 25% you refer to.

Do I offer a sales pitch when I sell a vehicle on eBay? Absolutely – every time. That’s my business, and I am selling a truck, no doubt about it. But you will not read anything on any of my descriptions that is not fact. You would very quickly see that reflected in my feedback, as all it takes is one angry customer to leave a negative.

I've read that I should clearly state in the title that this custom truck is a fake. Well, I understand that point, but understand that on eBay you only have the 55 charachters in the title to put all of your search keywords in it, so it is not the place. If you look at the very top of the listing where I put the title of what we are selling, it very clearly states that it is a replica. Then below that, it is very clear that it was built for a project - have not had a confused questions from anyone on eBay yet on that.

Back to auctions for a second. If you claim to be so knowledgeable on GL bidding, please tell us all how you know who you're bidding against. I'd love to know as it would be great information for all of us!!

And if you have ever been to a GL site to pick up a vehicle, look around for any trucks with "FMS" printed on the side. Most often they are on a seperate lot next to all the GL vehicles. Even if you don't see any, ask them what the FMS is for - every GL site manager will tell you what they are for and that they never make it into the public bidding arena.

Not sure what I did to personally piss you off, but if it is something I made a mistake on, you have my personal apology. I am not perfect, but I am always honest.
I confronted you awhile back about telling people they could drive a 6X6 Deuce with a class C and you proceeded to write me that you can drive a tractor trailer with a class C so long as it was not for hire. Unfortunately all of the ads with the lies are no longer shown on ebay as they have a time limit for visibility. The reason I know I was bidding against you on trucks was when I view trucks to bid on I take some pictures and log the vin# off of the data plate. I have no problem with you having a great business of fixing up these trucks but I do have a problem with honesty. I am sorry for the rant but when I say something or do something my word means something and when I see people out there twisting the truth I will Call them on it.

Ryan

scyros35

I confronted you awhile back about telling people they could drive a 6X6 Deuce with a class C and you proceeded to write me that you can drive a tractor trailer with a class C so long as it was not for hire. Unfortunately all of the ads with the lies are no longer shown on ebay as they have a time limit for visibility. The reason I know I was bidding against you on trucks was when I view trucks to bid on I take some pictures and log the vin# off of the data plate. I have no problem with you having a great business of fixing up these trucks but I do have a problem with honesty. I am sorry for the rant but when I say something or do something my word means something and when I see people out there twisting the truth I will Call them on it.

Ryan
Hi Ryan;

No apology necessary for speaking your mind – I’m just glad to have the chance to try and defend myself since you are doing it on a public forum. This is America, and we are all entitled to an opinion. But just so I understand you correctly, you didn’t ask me about a CDL on a tractor Trailer like you originally said but instead on an M35A2? If that is the case, I definitely would have told you that it is my opinion and the opinion of my attorney that a CDL is not needed for a Deuce under most conditions.

I would not have said anything about a Tractor Trailer, although I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that I was off my rocker that day (Lord knows it wouldn’t be the first time;-). I know the issue of a CDL is hotly debated here, and once again we’re way off topic, so I won’t get into my reasons for my belief’s (unless you want me to), but when I tell people about not needing a CDL, which I do probably 6 or 7 times a month, I always predicate it on the not being used for hauling passenger’s and/or cargo for hire, not being used in any commercial endeavor like advertising, and the truck being registered as an Historic Vehicle.

On 25% of my listings being a lie, since eBay keeps listings live for 90+ days, am I correct in assuming that the last 30 or so trucks we have sold contained no lies in your opinion? And if that is the case, can you recall at least what I used to lie about 90 days ago? I’d really like the opportunity to address that if you can remember specifics.

Again, I am not perfect – I have made my share of mistakes. I have listed tire sizes wrong once in a while, I have mentioned a cab heater in error, I have said a truck has bows when in fact it didn’t – heck I have probably made a dozen mistakes in the last couple of years on stupid stuff like that. I list 6 trucks a month at a minimum, and when I do make a mistake, I always own up to it. That’s not a lie, that’s an honest error that I always make right with the buyer.

I’ll take your word for it on the GL auctions, but I don’t recall being able to see detailed pictures of the data plate on too many GL listed trucks, so you must have pretty good eyes. Just out of curiosity, did you notice any in the last 6 months, or am I telling the truth on the fact that I have not purchased a single truck or piece of equipment from GL since probably January or February?

Thank you for at least giving me the chance to try and set the record straight. Even though we’re going round and round on some petty stuff, just know that it is with good intentions on my part for clearing the air, and if you are in the southern California area or ever get out this way, I’d still like to shake your hand in person, buy you a cup of coffee (or something stronger;-) and show you around my operation to try and bury the hatchet!!

Thanks,

-Steve

AceHigh

Steve, I have enjoyed the discussion and your thoughtful replies. Bob jobs, gun truck replicas, there are lots of us modifying these beasts. Thanks for sharing the story on this one.

scyros35

Steve, I have enjoyed the discussion and your thoughtful replies. Bob jobs, gun truck replicas, there are lots of us modifying these beasts. Thanks for sharing the story on this one.
I appreciate that AceHigh, thank you! I too have actually really enjoyed talking with a group of guys that have the same interest. My lurker status is forever banished!!

I put an album up with 50 or 60 recent builds in it if anyone cares to check them out. At least I think an album was the right way to go...

SpacemanSpiff

I appreciate that AceHigh, thank you! I too have actually really enjoyed talking with a group of guys that have the same interest. My lurker status is forever banished!!

I put an album up with 50 or 60 recent builds in it if anyone cares to check them out. At least I think an album was the right way to go...
Steve-

Can you please call me? I PMed you my number? I'd like to bid on your 35a2 on Ebay right now...

Thanks,
Jason

KsM715

Steve-

Can you please call me? I PMed you my number? I'd like to bid on your 35a2 on Ebay right now...

Thanks,
Jason

Don't do that. Your just going to confirm that this thread was nothing more than a feeble attempt to bring attention to his ebay ad. We had that all but squashed till you came along posting that. :razz:

Welcom to SteelSoldiers. Hope you got your big boy briches on. :razz:

rwbrown72

Me and the guys were talking about this last night and we came up with an idea to help make you some more money. We thought you should find an old fiberglass swimming pool. Fill it full with 15,000 gallons of 383 green paint and use a crane to "Dip" the trucks in it. I know you don't like to see the way the engines look when they first come out of GL and this will get into all of those hard to reach places that I'm sure bother the heck out of ya. I figure with a good crane operator you should be able to run about 10 trucks an hour through there. You could paint a whole fleet in a day.... easy! You could advertise that the "Entire" truck has a fresh coat of paint! :grd:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve-

Thanks,
Jason
Unless you are just trying to stir up ****, why wouldn't you simply contact him through the ebay listing?

And with your first post even...I smell a rat.

A

A/C Cages

Call me blind, I didnt see the Ebay thing anywhere until the trouble makers started to complain about it.

Just like Colombine High school, once the media kept playing it over and over, then other idiots got the idea and schools all over the place were having it done.

I didnt see the link, I dont want to see it,, I dont care. We are talking about the trucks, ideas, good or bad.
Beside, I will never use Ebay for anything. Ripoff artist is all Ebay is.

scyros35

Me and the guys were talking about this last night and we came up with an idea to help make you some more money. We thought you should find an old fiberglass swimming pool. Fill it full with 15,000 gallons of 383 green paint and use a crane to "Dip" the trucks in it. I know you don't like to see the way the engines look when they first come out of GL and this will get into all of those hard to reach places that I'm sure bother the heck out of ya. I figure with a good crane operator you should be able to run about 10 trucks an hour through there. You could paint a whole fleet in a day.... easy! You could advertise that the "Entire" truck has a fresh coat of paint! :grd:
Shoot - you guys looking over my fence?:shock: We already do that - tough breaking the skim on the surface for each truck, but it adds charachter!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks