• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Compressor missing pieces, internally

kennys@wi.rr.com

I am working on a deuce for another member and the air compressor belt loosened up when I was bringing it to the shop. I didn't think much of it at the time because I was also dealing with a new fuel leak right in front of the air compressor so I though it got fuel on it and was just real slick at that point in time. Well I was changing the oil filters on it today and went to check the pully and saw that there was a bushing or cap type piece on the shaft. Looking closer I saw that all four bolts that hold the front of the compressor on were loose and the top two were almost out. The whole shaft was loose and could move up and down and in and out. I couldn't push that bushing back in so I knew I needed to remove the compressor.
Removing it was a PITA. The pully wouldn't move to give me more slack in the belt for removal. Finally my will won over that of the belt and I got it off. When I pulled the compressor off and turned it upside down a saw the problem right away, a broken connecting rod. That's not the worst of it. The bottom portion of the connecting rod, and the bolts, are missing. When I went to inspect the tray the compressor sits on I found a lot of small sharp fragments. Inside the oil journal that leads into the side of the block I found one larger piece but still no bolts. I reached into the side as far as I could, until it drops off, and all I could feel was what I think is a push rod. I decided to remove that side panel to see if I could find the missing parts. I removed six bolts from the side panel and it's a no go. I figured it was late, dark and I didn't have my TM handy so I better walk away for the night.
My question in all of this is where do you think the missing parts are? Is there a trick to getting that side panel with the compressor tray off the side of the block? How deep down the rabbit hole is this one going to take me? Looks like another long night of reading the TM rather than mindlessly watching TV.
I didn't have my camera so I will get pics tomorrow to post.

SMOKEWAGON66

i may just be blowing smoke here...lol...but if you found a bunch of small sharp fragments, could it be possible that these missing parts may haven been floating around in there for so long that they have been ground into nothing? i have no idea where the journals go from the compressor but id def check the engine oil for metal. if there is none then who knows...maybee them missing parts is stuck inside the block somewhere...or never there to begin with.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Drop the pan and you'll find treasure!
That's kind of what I was thinking. The sad part is that I have been reading all the TM's and I found one that shows how to remove the lifter cover panel behind the fuel filters and the oil filters but not the one behind the compressor. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything is all.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I got the side panel off today and found the missing bolts. I also found lots of metal chunks and shavings. When removing some of the metal some small pieces could be heard falling into the oil pan, looks like I will be removing that for sure now.

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have been searching for a replacement oil pan gasket and a replacement for that side panel cover gasket with no luck. Does anyone have a part number or know where to locate those two gaskets?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks