• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1061 trailer help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerm101a2

i need to get a m1061 trailer home. i want to pull it with me 3/4 dodge truck. the trip is about 150 mi. is there anything i need to do before i pull this heavy trailer home? i know its heavy and i need to go slow but do i need to do anything with the breaks? thank you

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Let me get this correct a 5 ton capacity M1061 trailer that weighs approximately 8K pounds will be towed by a 3/4 ton truck?

If that is the case then foolproof insurance, a good towing plan, and a well charged cell phone.

This won't be your finest moment.

Do everyone a favor, find someone or somehow to get it home safely.

3dAngus

You shouldn't have to, but you never know the condition it's going to be in.
Mine had a crimped brake wire from the emergency hand brake locking up my tires. It was driving me nuts.
I found it after jumping through all kinds of hoops troubleshooting. It was fun and educational actually.
People on this site were a tremendous amount of help. I am grateful to them for it.

If the air is not hooked up, the brakes should already be released.

This trailer is way to heavy to tow without brakes though. I don't recommend it. Good luck, whatever you decide. Better practice before you get out of the parking lot for emergency stop. You're gonna get pushed right through a stop sign if not careful. And this thing sits way to high for a pintle on a pickup. Another consideration.

Nonotagain

i need to get a m1061 trailer home. i want to pull it with me 3/4 dodge truck. the trip is about 150 mi. is there anything i need to do before i pull this heavy trailer home? i know its heavy and i need to go slow but do i need to do anything with the breaks? thank you
Base weight of the M1061 is 5800 lbs. At least that's what my data plate says.

The trailer tows very heavy. I moved my last one about the same distance, but I used a F350 dually. I got pushed all over the place. The other issue is that the wheels are mid mounted so the trailer wags around you while towing. Add 1500 lbs of tongue weight and it tows straight, but then you now are moving 7200 lbs without brakes.

Dexter sells a conversion kit to go electric hydraulic but that unit is close to $600.

The parking brake cables get smashed between the frame and the fork truck tines. Look at the cables about three feet from the front of the deck.

As CARNAC stated, use something larger or make sure that you insurance is paid up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is the trailer now?

Maybe someone with a bigger truck could pick it up for you and store it until you can get it with a larger truck.

What do you plan to use it for and what else do you have to tow it with?

rogerm101a2

It's in Indiana and I'm going to Dayton Ohio! So if I go slow like 55 it's still to dangerous to carry? I'm getting a real good deal on it and I hate to pass on the deal!

Bighurt

How much is your life worth? I thought buying a harness was expensive at $145 but how much will it cost my family if I fall 35-40 feet off a lift onto construction debris. Live or Die we all make choices.

Our choices have consquences not only for ourselves.

Reactions: HDN

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please consider other options. There are transportation "people" here on the site that could and will safely move that trailer for you! Purchase her, then have her brought home, like a bride to the castle. I agree with others, they are a heavy trailer. The "Raven Deuce" knows when she pulls mine. Great trailer, but sort of awkward. You are the one making the decision, but it isn't just your "life" in the bargin. Other drivers, your family, etc etc. PLEASE think twice!
God bless,
Tonyfat lady sings

rogerm101a2

Ok thank you for making me see that is not a good idea to try. Can anyone help move the trailer to Dayton? Thx much

rogerm101a2

Picked up the trailer with my 3/4 dodge. Did 70-75 all the way home 195 mi..The trailer pulled great no wondering at all. Thank you all for all your help on this trailer

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Picked up the trailer with my 3/4 dodge. Did 70-75 all the way home 195 mi..The trailer pulled great no wondering at all. Thank you all for all your help on this trailer
70/75, a trailer that weighs that much and no brakes, as thay say, "GOD looks out for FOOLS" all I can say, thank GOD no one got hurt or killed

rogerm101a2

Ron,
Thanks for the input but I don't know how you drive or what you drive but my truck handled the trailer great! I know how to do things in a safe manor..Sometimes you just can't be scared...I didn't call you names so don't call me names..Keep your opinions to your self.... Pix coming soon

rogerm101a2

Ron,
Thanks for the input but I don't know how you drive or what you drive but my truck handled the trailer great! I know how to do things in a safe manor..Sometimes you just can't be scared...I didn't call you names so don't call me names..Keep your opinions to your self.... Pix coming soon

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You may say that now, you got away with pulling close to a 3t trailer wit NO trailer brakes at 70/75 mph, great, now how great would it be if you had to lock things up because some dumb A$$ on a cell phone was not paying attention, You locking thinks up would have had that trailer pushing you where ever it wanted to, with a good chance of hurting or killing some innocent people let alone yourself, with that much metal sliding auound, things turn to crap quick. SO I stand by my thanking GOD for looking after you and everybody on the road near you

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks