• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton camper build

hairtrigger

5 ton camper build (Updated pics page 3)

Well, I am making some head way on my little project, and thought I would start a thread of my own. Not much to say, except wow did I ever open a can of worms. Here I thought I was going to save money by doing it myself. :grin:

So here it is the day I brought it home, till where I am at today. **** what a project.

Attachments

Last edited:

hairtrigger

Here is the last of the pics. Ended up going w/ the combat rims, and glad I did. A lot safer that way, and with the kids in the rig, I just feel a lot better about it. Still a long way to go. :p

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here comes the hundred question post. Love the truck, multi or Mack power? Did the Lance set you back a bunch? What is the basic idea behind the conversion? Is there going to be a hatch type passthrough? I see an opening there. It looks like you are enclosing the area between the camper and the cab. If sealed right that would be a cool place for jump seats for extra passengers. Kinda give us a rundown on where you are going with it... BTW looks great!

4x4e350

Very cool!
I was looking at going with the pickup camper also, but decided it would be too tall for what I wanted to do. So instead I went with a 5th wheel behind my 5 ton. I like what your doing.:beer:

hairtrigger

OK, here comes the hundred question post. Love the truck, multi or Mack power? Did the Lance set you back a bunch? What is the basic idea behind the conversion? Is there going to be a hatch type passthrough? I see an opening there. It looks like you are enclosing the area between the camper and the cab. If sealed right that would be a cool place for jump seats for extra passengers. Kinda give us a rundown on where you are going with it... BTW looks great!
The truck is a M54a2 multi fuel. I am doing a walk through, with jump seats for the kids. It will be all sealed up, kinda like a class c rv. The soft top will be grafted to the camper, so the cab can flex from the bed.

I plan to go anywhere the thing will take me. My only limit is my highth. I am at 13 ft.

quickfarms

It looks like my truck will also be at 13 feet.

The height is not a issue in the street but it might be a concern off road.

these campers are kind of soft when you push a tree limb out of the way

hairtrigger

It looks like my truck will also be at 13 feet.

The height is not a issue in the street but it might be a concern off road.

these campers are kind of soft when you push a tree limb out of the way
Yup, that is a concern of mine also. I have some ideas to help out a bit. The rack is a start.

Bighurt

I follow all these threads, while I don't think the look is quite me, but my idea didn't pan out either.

I think it's a great way to re-utilize and save money. I myself want to put a M109 box on a M818. Although I did find a long wheel base M814 local that would look good with a modified storage container.

Unfortunatly I don't have the money for projects right now.

Looks good so far!

dmetalmiki

I went with this

Tried two versions , but did not like them. so place a russian body on my 5 ton. Now I do like the "look"..and it's sorta in keeping with the green thing. The deuce has a radio module in the back with camping gear in. then the raised tarp over that. Edit. (removed wrong pictures and sorry for the muddle with the incorrect post.) but I will leave the 5 ton and deuce pictures just to show how we "camp out" at shows.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighurt

Tried two versions , but did not like them. so place a russian body on my 5 ton. Now I do like the "look"..and it's sorta in keeping with the green thing. The deuce has a radio module in the back with camping gear in. then the raised tarp over that. Edit. (removed wrong pictures and sorry for the muddle with the incorrect post.) but I will leave the 5 ton and deuce pictures just to show how we "camp out" at shows.
I actually like the Russian Body, infact i like the look many of their vehicles had.

Do you have a inside photo/thread somewhere?

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hairtrigger, nice job, I hope you continue the pictures as you go. Did you buy the 5 ton just to fit the camper or the camper to fit the 5 ton. The camper should fit a 2 1/2 ton bed, shouldn't it. I ask because that's what I have and was thinking along your lines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks