• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

# 8 on door

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed.... Bridge Plate Number.

Your "8" means that your truck's weight is roughly 8 tons. Use the Search Function (bar at top of every SS page) to learn more about BRIDGE PLATES.

Short explanation.... B
ridges are critical strategic and tactical assets. You don't want to lose one due to overloading. The Battlefield Engineers rate and then enforce load limits to that end. Every vehicle is identified with a simple "weight" on the Bridge Plate so that the Bridge Marshal can regulate the load he allows onto HIS bridge.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For everyone thinking it's the weight in tons-you are wrong. As recommended, do some searching. Truck weight is only a small part of it.aua

rorybellows

do they not do this anymore. ive convoyed with the big boys and crossed many a engineer, or combat bridges and dont recall seeing any of these. maybe the bridges are designed now to handle tons more. i remember even seeing two loaded hets on at the same time.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
do they not do this anymore. ive convoyed with the big boys and crossed many a engineer, or combat bridges and dont recall seeing any of these. maybe the bridges are designed now to handle tons more. i remember even seeing two loaded hets on at the same time.
This was 20+ years ago.

wsucougarx

a. Weight Classification. All vehicles with a gross weight over 3 tons and all trailers with rated payload over 1 1/2 tons are assigned classification numbers. These numbers indicate a relationship between the load-carrying capacity of a bridge and the effect produced on it by a vehicle. The effect of the vehicle on the bridge depends upon the gross weight of the vehicle, the weight distribution to the axles, and the speed at which the vehicle crosses the bridge.

b. Vehicle Signs.
(1) Classifications. Classification numbers assigned to vehicles are whole numbers ranging from 4 through 150. Front signs on a vehicle are 9 inches in diameter and the side signs are 6 inches in diameter. The signs have black numerals on a yellow background and the numerals are as large as the sign will permit. The front sign goes above the bumper to the driver's right and below his line of vision, and the side signs on the right side of the vehicle in a place where normal use of the vehicle does not conceal it from view.

(2) Combination Classification. With a combination vehicle (two or more single vehicles spaced less than 30.5m apart), the front sign shows the normal vehicle class for the combination with the letter "C" in red above the class number. Each vehicle in the combination carries a side sign which shows its class as a single vehicle. If one vehicle is towing another, they are considered separate, unless they are on the same span and the distance between them is less than 30.5m. Combination classes are determined as indicated in paragraph 5-3c below.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a. Weight Classification. All vehicles with a gross weight over 3 tons and all trailers with rated payload over 1 1/2 tons are assigned classification numbers. These numbers indicate a relationship between the load-carrying capacity of a bridge and the effect produced on it by a vehicle. The effect of the vehicle on the bridge depends upon the gross weight of the vehicle, the weight distribution to the axles, and the speed at which the vehicle crosses the bridge .
Yes, We are looking in the books. There is alot of info going into the plate #. Read how to figure it and you'll be surprised.

Jake0147

I think part of the reason that bridge plates (and numbers/decals) went away is simply the ability to keep track, predict, and plan, and manage operations from a centralized location. The bridges are still as strong or as light as they make them. The trucks are still as heavy or light as they make them. There's always going to be the issue utilizing existing bridges. But I think the requirement that someone be on site to police the bridge (to whom the markings were directed), aside from being a sitting duck position which we don't accept any more, is simply not required. You still see them on some guard vehicles, but not many. Usually older vehicles. I bet they could be installed still and used as they always have been, and maybe they are in some situations? But just like the trucks that we collect and enjoy, they are becoming obsolete.

Good info on bridge plates

or

Maybe the unit was a Dale Jr. fan when he drove the #8 Budweiser for DEI.

jasonjc

NO NO NO

That truck came from the super super top secret seal team 8.

That truck is worth BIG BUCKs to the right person.

:razz::razz:

Or it could just be the bridge thing:rolleyes:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd have made a 5 ton joke out of that but I'm too busy enjoying the irony of a donut joke coming from you of all people. rofl

Thanks for pointing that out, Fuzzy. My blond-ness didn't let that nugget of humor penetrate my skull.

roflroflroflrofl

The visual of "Cop with Donut" kinda puts the "icing on the cake".

Sorry to pick on ya, Mav, but I'm the "slow" one that missed that joke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks