• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal bending question

ODdave

I have seen you guys come up with some pretty nifty charts and calculators off the web on here, So is there one for this? I need to bend two roughly 80* bends in a piece of 1 x 3.5 in steel. Any idea of how many tons of pressure this may take? If needed I can use one of my forges to heat it but that requires a little more time than i have at the moment. I am planing on biulding a jig to use in a 50ton press, lemmie know if i am wasting my time. Thanks.

Vintage iron

It would be easier to cut and weld it. Unless you want a radiused corner. if you heat them and use the 50 ton press it shouldn't be a problem. the gig doesn't need to be shaped like a 80*. it can be two round bars welded to a big plate spaces apart and axe shaped piece on the ram. The axe shape folds the steel between the two bars. You will need to play with the bar spacing and the edge of the axe ram, but you will be able to bend any angle after you make the gig. Good luck!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
80° bends, a couple of them.

bending the 1" thickness x 3 1/2" wide? piece of cake
3 1/2" thick x 1" wide, 50 tons should do it, heat may be required.
I have done 2" square bar 90° bend, just got it orange with a torch and put a 6 foot pipe on the end with about 450lb of ass on the end.

ODdave

Vintage, It will be a steering componant so it has to be bent not welded, sorry should have said that.

Bob, where did you find 450lb of ass? lol

The round bar jig was the same idea I was gonna use. Thanks for the input guys, i think i will heat it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can bend it by hand if you heat it red hot. You can bend it cold with a 50 ton press.

I'm confused as to why you say it has to be bent and not welded. A competent welder can weld it every bit as good as a bended joint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks