• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

S-250 or S280 shelter

zguy1243

I am looking for a S250 or S280 shelter for a radio project. I see that the 250 and 280 come in many different configurations. Is the a resource somewhere on the web that details some of the options and different configurations of the S250 shelters? I would like to return one back very close to its original state as it was used. I would like to replicate a USAF A/G setup. Anyone with info or has a S250 for sale please contact me.

Thanks to all.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
With rare exceptions most of the commo shelters have been stripped of all equipment to include rack mounts and antenna mounts.

In some cases the shelters have been converted to storage units to protect high value items or stuff that needs to be protected from the elements.

Last edited:

Chief_919

I now where there are a couple 250's that still have most of the gear in them. Racks, mounts, and some of the radios and componets. They were were the sets with the GRC-106 sets and teletypes.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get FM 24-24, Chapter 6 to see what the various configurations of the ZS-250 and S-280 shelters looked like inside when they were being used for their intended purpose.

zguy1243

Get FM 24-24, Chapter 6 to see what the various configurations of the ZS-250 and S-280 shelters looked like inside when they were being used for their intended purpose.
Thanks for the information. I was able to find that Pdf file.

Still looking for a s250 in good shape. I have found some nice units but most are so far away from me here in north Georgia. I am still doing my research and learning all the details on these things. Is there a way by reading the data plates or somwhere on the unit to tell when it was built?

NEIOWA

Anyone have a idea where to find the brackets that mount on a S-280 that allow you to attach a dolly/mobilizer?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEIOWA,

Such brackets are built into the shelter. They are either present or not. I have an S-280 that is missing them. Fortunately for me, that one is going on an M-36, not a dolly lift set.

NEIOWA

Nope. Add "Mobilizer kit" if unit is using mobilizers. Have not been able to find a NSN yet.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I got a 280 shelter in your back yard here but it need some work.

Also, I was working on finding the mobilizer kit myself with virtually no luck. I did find out that the system on installing it is in a SC drawling (Signal Corps drawling in this case not a supply catalog as SC usually means). I found the major component part no. listed in one of the TM's but had only partial luck trying to cross reference them to a civilian manufacturer and part number to where they could be purchased. I have since had extremely good fortune in finding and purchasing several S280s with mobilizer kits already installed.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

There are going to be several S280 and S280 size shelters at Camp Dodge (not reutilized thry DRMS).

The 2nd group is a style I have not seen before, have approx 3" in and 8" up "step" along left/right lower edge. Otherwise same as S280.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a couple of small mobilizers from a guy here
in Ky. Don't know the model numbers but they look like the
small ones I have seen on S-250's before in service.
They use 7.00 x16 M-38- M-38A1 rims. I wanted one
for my 250 to keep it mobile when not mounted in the
Goat...................popacom / Bill in Ky.:)

135gmc

I store my S250 on a pair of mover's dollies - that way, I can easily push it around the shop when I need to. They are the easiest and lightest system I could find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks