• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pow'R Gard 30D36R 3kW Diesel Generator

derf

Got the little Pow'R Gard 3kW going. It needed to have the tank flushed. There was some goop like Caramel in there. It was very sticky and gummy and GoJo did not phase it. The in tank fuel filter was clogged solid with the goop and had to be trashed. The external filter/water separator was missing so I just installed a small inline fuel filter and new fuel line. I removed and checked the injector pump, which looked fine. The goop did not get past the filter and/or separator thing that was missing. After cleaning the tank, installing the new inline filter and hose, and bleeding the air from the fuel system it fired up and ran nicely, making power.

This is the smallest Diesel gen set I have been able to find. Consumption is listed as 0.30 Gal/Hr at 75% load, or over 9 hours per 2.75Gal tank. I like the availability of a pull rope start option. I would prefer Yanmar power, but the Wisconsin Robin motor was made by Fuji and is very good, too, IMHO. This gen is a keeper for me, but not as good as my MEP-016D, which is Yanmar powered, but much larger and heavier. This is a very good industrial quality machine, but not as bullet proof and underrated as the MEPs. I think these were bought at a time when the military was trying to cut costs by using off the shelf equipment whenever they could.

I suspect 30D36R means 3.0kW Diesel 3600RPM. Baldor still sells a similar unit, DG3E, with frame, tank, head, etc. that look the same. They use Hatz power, though, and they sell for around $2500.

Some things that make this set differ from other military 3kW sets:

It is rated the same as the civilian model. In other words, it is not under rated like the other military sets. It is a 3kW set that can surge to 3.1kW or so. The MEP 3kW gen sets will put out up to 4.5kW or so for extended periods of time. This unit will not. The manual calls this a Lightweight Independent Power System (LIPS) instead of MEP.

The starting and charging system is 12V instead of 24. This is good when it comes time to buy a battery. It can use a small lawn mower battery from Wal*Mart. The unit can put out like 8 Amps at 12V for charging external batteries.

It has a pull rope. Most Diesel MEP sets do not, unless they have been upgraded with Yanmar power.

This set only weighs about 180lbs. MEP 3kW sets weigh 275 to 540lbs.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

I've got one as well. Still trying to figure out what that valve is right above the fuel tank. From the valve it goes to the area of the cylinder head. I was lucky to have gotten the service records for it. Unfortunately it didn't come with a manual and only had 24 hours on it.

derf

Nice unit

I prefer the mep 903

Me, too. Those are nice but not single man portable. I have a water cooled Kubota gen, but it isn't a MEP. The 531, 831, and 903 are all nice, but rarely seen at DRMO sales.

I've got one as well. Still trying to figure out what that valve is right above the fuel tank. From the valve it goes to the area of the cylinder head. I was lucky to have gotten the service records for it. Unfortunately it didn't come with a manual and only had 24 hours on it.

What valve? Can you post a pic? There is a valve on the bottom of the fuel tank for fuel on/off. The top is supposed to just have a 90 degree fuel return elbow. The on/off and return use the same grommet though, so it is possible that someone stuck an on/off valve where the return elbow should be.

Some parts from the DG3E are the same:
http://www.baldor.com/pdf/literature/CA2401_1105_lo0.pdf

TO manual:
http://www.ls1dmc.com/generator/TO-35C2-3-499-1.pdf

Links to TO and engine manuals:
www.ls1dmc.com - /generator/

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice unit, Is it back up for the back up..? How quiet is this unit..? Sometimes all you need is 3000 watts or less. Being quiet is priceless.

derf

Nice unit, Is it back up for the back up..? How quiet is this unit..? Sometimes all you need is 3000 watts or less. Being quiet is priceless.
It is grab and run backup. I haven't taken readings, yet, but to me it seems quieter than 3500W gas generators.

My gen arsenal is getting there:

Honda EU2000i

30D36R
MEP-016D
MEP-016E (10HP Yanmar 5 or 7.5kW upgrade project in the works)
MEP-003A (not running, yet, and for sale as is)
MEP-701A (for sale)
Kubota KJ-S130D

wsucougarx

Hey derf it's that valve attached to the end of the rubber line shown in pic 3 and 4 that comes up near the side of the fuel tank. From the valve it goes to the "T" and heads off in the two different directions. I've messed with it while idling and it doesn't seem to affect the idle.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am impressed. I am trying to get a stock myself and we about even in that regard. I am looking for 3-5-10Kws with ask for my projects. I am 3 short on the 5kw and 1 short on the 3kw. Let me know how your coming along with your projects.

BTW, ANYTHING is quieter than a 3500w gasser. Don

derf

Hey derf it's that valve attached to the end of the rubber line shown in pic 3 and 4 that comes up near the side of the fuel tank. From the valve it goes to the "T" and heads off in the two different directions. I've messed with it while idling and it doesn't seem to affect the idle.

Mine doesn't have a valve there, just a metal elbow at the tank. The T goes down to the fuel filter assembly. My unit was missing the fuel filter assembly, part #70 shown on page 84 of the TO manual. So, I just put an inline filter in the hose to the injector pump. I also deleted the T and ran the return (small hose) from the injector back to the tank.

The TO doesn't show any valve but the civilian manual on the motor shows a check valve somewhere in the system, it is hard to tell where.

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Very nice sets. You'll also see listed as made by T&J Mfg. Mounted one on our Fire Dept wildland truck about 4yrs ago for A/C power. Very smokey on startup but easy to pull start. Noise level is not bad.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine doesn't have that valve either. Mine was also missing the fuel filter but these are readily available from any Robin dealer. The original part number was replaced by an upgrade, which needs to have a small piece of the plastic cut out by a pocket knife or diagonal cutters. If anyone needs the new part number, let me know and I'll look it up. These are well made units, but in my mind they are noisy due to the high RPM.

derf

Let me know the part # when you get a chance. Also, is the check valve necessary? I may revert back to the original style fuel filter because it appears to have a water separator function, too. I suppose the T from the injector bypass to the fuel filter is to give the filter a little positive pressure? If not, why T from the injector bypass to tank line and go to the fuel filter?

My unit seems quieter than most Diesel and gas powered portable generators.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The original part number for the fuel filter assembly listed in T.O. 35C2-3-499-1 is 2436210110. The new part number is 2436210120. Please note that although the two filter assemblies look virtually identical, you will need to carve a very small amount of plastic from the new filter to mount it. Also note that you need to be careful how you plumb it in with the fuel lines as if it is done according to the manual, it is backwards and you won't have a functional water trap. Once you look at it, it will be clear. I like using the replacement Robin filter because the result is almost identical with the original and it looks good.

The check valve is not utilized on the 30D36R genset. However, on the civilian (Japanese) model, a check valve is used. I purchased a new check valve in case I decided I needed it, but never used it. You probably know, but Baldow made the frame, generator head and fuel tank and those parts are also readily available. Baldor also makes a very nice wheel set for the 30D36R, which I intend to buy, but haven't yet. I've seen a couple of the military sets with the Baldor wheel kit installed. I also found the correct battery for the genset from Interstate. I had to order it. If you need the battery model, let me know.

fflouieeee

30d36r keys

Does anyone know where I can get replacement keys? I have already gotten the part number (EY2437260103) and checked with Baldor, Robin, T & J Manufacturing (baldor again) and a good locksmith..DISCONTINUED I am told.

If i change the switch I lose the "pre-heat" feature... Help.

derf

I dunno if mine has one or two keys. Whatever it has is chained to the unit. The guy in the other thread just locked his 30D36R up so he might be selling parts soon.

derf

You might be able to use a switch from a boat or auto with an "aux" position that is CCW from the off position. Turn the key CCW to pre-heat, then turn CW past off, past run, to start and settle back on run. Sea Dog 420375-1, for example. Google " 4 Position Ignition Switch"

Or, some boat switches have a push to choke feature. You could push to preheat.

Also, you might google the key number or code and try ebay. And, try other locksmiths.

You could install a manual momentary pushbutton for preheat.

Last edited:

derf

Mine has two keys. If you are not in a hurry I can send you one. But, I'm working a lot and may not be able to get it out for a week or two and you may have to remind me in a week or two. Send a PM if you can wait a little while.

rcamacho

Old thread I know.
Picked up a Pow'r Gard 30D36R on auction with 50hrs on it. Started right up!

Need replacement key/switch. It’s broken off in the run position.

Need a replacement battery but have not found a model #/spec to cross reference.

Need a wheel kit. Baldor serms to have discontinued the part.

Tank has some algae, any suggestions for interior cleaning procedure after draining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread I know.Picked up a Pow'r Gard 30D36R on auction with 50hrs on it. Started right up!
Need replacement key/switch. It’s broken off in the run position.
Need a replacement battery but have not found a model #/spec to cross reference.Need a wheel kit. Baldor serms to have discontinued the part.
Tank has some algae, any suggestions for interior cleaning procedure after draining?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Almost any decent locksmith can make you a new key if you take the lockset to him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks