• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

So who has bumped the power on a 6CTA cummins

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I used to play with turbo cars I figured shim the wastegate too but for a diesel turning up the fuel has the same effect so playing with the wastegate wont really help.

nevrenufhp

How about you or neverenuf posting some pics of each adjustment on the 8.3 so us dummies can follow along. With all the tubes/pipes/linkages it might be useful. I turned up my fuel under the plug on top of the pump and it made a BIG difference. Haven't done the gov yet. According to the tach, it is set at about 2-2100. What would be a good safe max for it? I don't have a pyro or boost gage installed yet.

John R Dunn
Weatherford, Texas M931A2
I want to make pix and video. Even posted a request on my FB page. I'd travel about a 200 mile radius to get it all too.

Last edited:

dochowz

Well I'm ordering my pyro/boost gauges today so I'll experiment on my 90 M923A2 next week. If all goes well I can get a bunch of vids and pics when we do it for rparcola's truck...

Moto2four

I did the fuel rate adjustment detailed in the video earlier in this thread. I turned the screw in 3 1/2 turns and its perfect for me. From idle if I punch it ill get a puff of black smoke for about a second until the turbo spools and then she cleans right up. I can dedinately tell a difference in acceleration and shifting.

YOUNG GUN

Hey young gun
what are the dimensions of these gauges?
do you have pictures of how you installed them
thanks
I'll have to get a picture posted, but I haven't taken one yet.
Look under accessories on Aubers website, and they make small black mounting boxes for these (this is what I used), and they worked great; I mounted them on the left side of the transmission shift tower.
I can't remember the dimensions off the top of my head, but they list them in the specs on the site.

insas

Well,

Finally drove the truck (M923a2) after making the adjustments. I did turn down the idle screw slightly, it idled at 775 rpm cold, but once warmed up sits at 1050 still. I need to adjust the linkage; if I pull up on the accellerator pedal it will drop back to 800 rpm. -It idles at 800 RPM in gear too.

Anyway, with 4 clicks on the gov springs and 3.5 revs on the fuel pump adjustment:

I drove about 300 miles today, all while hauling 1500 lbs in the back and a 4k trailer W/10k dozer on it. About 200 miles of I-5 and the rest mountain passes. I had to be really careful, before it was hard to really worry about going over 65 while earily on today I was going up a several mile incline and put the pedal down, checked the speedo after a few and saw I was about to bury the needle strait down. I could easily accellerate past 70 with no problem on most inclines (it woould still have a few hundered RPM It was ready to pull to). Only a few passes where I got pulled down to 40 or so at the top. I could accellerate from a dead stop almost as quick as I could before with the truck empty. It still shifts at 2100 rpm on it's own but gets there quick, and on the passes I could downsift if it dropped below 2k untill it was back up to 2500 and then upshift. Didn't try to max the rpms in gear, but they limit at 2700 in nutural.

On a side note, I used to show about 2 bars intake air restriction, now it would max out several times on the trip. The filter is in good shape / clean. -I assume this is due to running the rpm's up more? -It ran GREAT, any need for concern? Anyone else who made these adjustments also notice that?

I'm very happy with how the truck is running, thanks to all who gave advise in this thread, and especially for the vids and writeup on lowbuck!

nevrenufhp

I noticed on the one I did that the air restrictor gauge started coming up. Everything was checked, and even pulled off all the extra pipes for the fording kit, but no difference. You would have to go to a much bigger element and box to get more flow. As long as it keeps the EGT under control, it's going to have to live.
Did you do the screw on top, or the 2 nuts on the back? Any plans on a trip thru Albany during the week of Thanksgiving? I'd like to see the machine, plus I have the special sockets for the fuel rate. A gov spring kit would help some, along with the linkage, and kickdown adjustment.

frogman2

Just curious if anybody ever swapped out/upgraded to a P7100 as I was told you could and have alot more availability to HP mods?Have several 12v 5.9 daily drivers in the 500-650 hp range and looking to make 400-500 with my A2 and was contemplating swapping in a modded P-pump,bigger stix and a different wastegated turbo or possibly compounds and a better air intake setup to increase intake air flow.Finished project will be a crewcab with a deuce dropside bed with spare mounted inside bed with 16.00-20's to increase hi-way cruising speeds.Anybody with an A2 running 16.00's with any performance mods?

insas

I noticed on the one I did that the air restrictor gauge started coming up. Everything was checked, and even pulled off all the extra pipes for the fording kit, but no difference. You would have to go to a much bigger element and box to get more flow. As long as it keeps the EGT under control, it's going to have to live.
Did you do the screw on top, or the 2 nuts on the back? Any plans on a trip thru Albany during the week of Thanksgiving? I'd like to see the machine, plus I have the special sockets for the fuel rate. A gov spring kit would help some, along with the linkage, and kickdown adjustment.

I did the screw on top. I am going through Albany the week of Thanksgiving, but unfortunatly I'll prob. be in the car (Have to go up to eastern Washington for a while). Do you get up to Albany much? The truck is out by the coast now but I assume you're not headed out there. PM or E-mail me if you do! I do want to do the rear fuel rate adjustment... Have you considered mail order rental of your special socket set? Maybe I need to get a K&N intake for the truck :-D

insas

Just curious if anybody ever swapped out/upgraded to a P7100 as I was told you could and have alot more availability to HP mods?Have several 12v 5.9 daily drivers in the 500-650 hp range and looking to make 400-500 with my A2 and was contemplating swapping in a modded P-pump,bigger stix and a different wastegated turbo or possibly compounds and a better air intake setup to increase intake air flow.Finished project will be a crewcab with a deuce dropside bed with spare mounted inside bed with 16.00-20's to increase hi-way cruising speeds.Anybody with an A2 running 16.00's with any performance mods?
What sort of EGT's are you getting with those 5.9's?

Moto2four

I don't think getting up to 500 hp would be hard at all. A p pump swap, injectors, and turbo, and you're there, but these trucks are so heavy, when you start putting up that kind of hp, I think something is going to snap in the drivetrain. These trucks are tough, but they are not race cars.

nevrenufhp

I was under the impression the pump was good for significantly more power. All you need is larger injectors and a bigger turbo
After talking with my pump guy(he even builds tractor puller pumps), he says 400+hp for sure, possibly close to 500 with the MW pump with 10mm plungers, all the adjustment tricks he knows, good injectors, and a bigger turbo. As said before, the drive train will snap pretty easily with big power. With the stock pump adjusted, like has been described, it will drive great, and be as powerful as it effectively needs to be. Getting 300hp is a tremendous amount of tork(around 850 pounds). The fuel rate is a freebie, just try it first and see how you like it. You'll be surprised.

frogman2

I never push any of them over 1300* pre turbo.Spent alot of time and money building the right hybrid turbos to make usable real world horsepower and not a dyno queen,drag racer or sled puller,been there done that and you can get a whole lot more out of them just not as a practical daily driver and expect them to live long,jmho.seen plenty of 5.9's over 1000hp just not practical in the daily usage arena,once again,jmho.Was hoping somebody may have already done some of the homework,got so many irons in the fire currently I haven't had time to research the possibilities yet.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This what I'm thinkin' :ditto: Here's a M1028 CUCV been working on. I've some big plans for the old M931A2....
Holy moley, how'd I miss this one! Nice cummins swap. What twin setup is that? Looks like the secondary is a S400 variant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks