• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much cranking ?

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 89 M35A2C - ran great when I bought it - then it stopped starting. We pulled the in tank pump out and it was nasty dirty - the pump was stuck. Kinda reminded me of the hyster mil forklift we bought were they used biodiesel and it seperated into pudding - this truck came from the same base (MacDill AFB)
Today I replaced the intank pump with an external walbro pump. We have fuel up to the injector pump but still no go. The batteries were getting low and we had to stop cranking. Do I just need to crank it some more to get the fuel through the injector pump?
Also is there napa/wix fuel filter numbers for the multifuel?

AGE|kshaufl

1st I would make sure that the fuel cut off is not stuck in the "Off"(On.For.Flight) position. If they are left pulled out they will stick even though you have pushed the shut off back in.

2nd I would crack an injector line and have someone crank the engine to make sure that fuel is getting through the I.P. to the injectors.

Cross your fingers and good luck! Let me know how you make out.

Heavysteven

There is a bleeder screw on top on the finial and secondary filters. You should be getting a good flow coming out?

If it was me I would drain the tank, new fuel, and replace the fuel filters.

Try google m35a2 parts cross-reference

Heavysteven

Here is a pic of the fuel cut off on the injector pump.

The other are the drains on the fuel filters and drain plug on the tank.

That screw on the dual fuels drivers side near the cab is what I use to all the air I can before it hits the injector pump.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't have the slightest hint of smoke out the exhaust pipe while cranking, then you have a fuel delivery problem.

You have to remove the cover for the fuel cut-off rod (seen in image #1 above) to check to see if the internal linkage is stuck... it is spring loaded.

Other problems could be a stuck fuel plunger or a broken fuel plunger return spring. I have experienced all the problems mentioned and they are all fixable.

To answer you original question, with good batteries and engine set up as per original spec, it will start within a few seconds (Summer time).

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody has pretty much said what to do. You are on the right track in thinking filters. Call one of the larger dealers like Memphis Truck, or give OD iron a shout for the filters. Remember, there is a primary filter buried under the alternator. After you get them installed, just flip the main switch and let the in tank pump do it's job and fill the low pressure fuel system by opening the bleed on the top of the secondaries. Check the shut off as stated above, crack a line or two and crank it. If that doesnt work, post up and we can walk you through other TS steps.
Good luck!

sandcobra164

Most deuces start before you can release the starter button. I've accidentally started mine in gear before. They say don't park one in gear for this reason because they can roll on an incline and fire off and keep going till they find something that will stop them from moving. They'll still be running in those instances so long as they can pick up fuel.

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first brought the truck home it fired up like you guys said - first couple revs on the starter and she was running. Today my dad removed the first filter under the alternator and it was nasty inside - as he described "nasty looking varnish build up" . Filters and a good cleanining are in order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks