• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice on M35A2 Purchase

joshs1ofakindxj

Howdy everyone. I'm looking to purchase an M35A2 and I think I found the one on CL, about 300 miles from my home.

Right now I have a 63 CJ5 that I purchased almost bone stock in 2005 and converted to a rough M38A1, and I'm restoring a 1966 M416 trailer for it that I picked up recently.

This is the M35A2 add...

Selling my Deuce & Half. It's a '54 but it was rebuilt and has an '83 White multi-fuel engine (w/ whistler turbo). The winch is in full working order. I have the block heater and cold weather grill cover for it (not installed). I also have an extra filter set. This truck is in nice shape (no rust) and is ready to work or drive in parades. It's registered and inspected so there are no title issues as with some military vehicles.

FYI: This truck does not have air brakes so you don't need a CDL license to drive it.

I'm asking $4,500 OBO. No trades.

I know the guy selling it from school and he says it is mechanically ready for the 300 mile trip to my home from where I will be picking it up. The plan is to ride my KLR 650 motorcycle to where it is, load it in the bed and tie it down, and drive the whole thing home.

I would appreciate any advice on the price, the truck condition, what to inspect before a long drive, mileage, etc.

Thanks!

sierra117

I would be sure to look over the motor make sure nothing is loose or broken or if there is'nt anything leaking make sure it has enough engine oil and check the oil conditon, check antifreeze level, check tire pressure, make sure the axles are full and nothing is leaking from them,check all the lights, and do a slow speed brake check.
I think checking these will help avoid and issues going home. The price sounds fairly reasonable if everyhting checks out. It looks like a clean truck from the photo. By the way how far are you going to get this truck.

91W350

When you check the coolant, make sure it is clean without oil. Make friends with somebody that has a deuce and have them go along. Master cylinder is below that flap in the driver's floor. Check under it and the air pack behind it for leaks. Be sure to pinch the rubber boot on the pedal rod to make sure it is not full of fluid. Check the inside of all wheels for brake fluid after your first few stops. Pay really close attention to the flex brake lines on the steering axle and from the frame to all three axles. Glen

joshs1ofakindxj

It does have air assisted hydraulic brakes. Just making sure you know. No CDL required for PA.

Good luck.
Yup, I knew that was a typo in the CL add.

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Keep it coming please!

So does anyone know an M35A2 expert in the Syracuse area?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just for grins, there is a 5 ton, 813 for sale in the classifieds for 3500 ( WESTECHs TRUCK), a LOT more truck for 1000 less

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone has an A2 close to me for $5,500 with cover. I have not inspected it but I think he is a little high w/o a winch.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! I would definitley have someone check out the truck that knows Deuces. Look for rust as well since a 54 model is 57 years old. This could be a good deal, but I personally would look for something newer near you or look at GL I picked up my 69 Kaiser Jeep A2 W/W at Fort Indiantown Gap in PA for way less than half of what the 54 model is advertised for, drove it off the lot and all the way back to Georgia without difficulty.

gunboy1656

What part of Southwest PA are you located and where is the truck hiding out at?

Just looking at those couple pics it looks like a great truck, but once you get up close it maybe a different story. 4500 for a winch truck is not bad, I paid 4 for mine a couple years ago now (wow just realized I had my truck for 2 year and a couple days now).

Depending on location you could get one of the more trusting members here to be an neutral inspector for you. There are many members within 300 miles of SW PA.

Have you ever driven one before? worked on one? have the manuals yet?

acquirermatt

It has been for sale for a couple months now. I would probably have bought it already if I had the cash. Please buy it and rid me of the temptation:grin: I am in syracuse 15mi away if you need someone to go look at it. I don't know much about deuces but can check fluids, overall condition etc.

Matt

joshs1ofakindxj

Well I payed for it and I'm just trying to get insurance and registration squared away so I pushed back picking it up to next weekend hopefully.

Should I print out some manuals and take with me, such as TM 9-2320-361-10?

gunboy1656

What is your route your taking back, might wish to have numbers of member along the way to make sure you get home.

Did I miss the post about what part of South West PA your from?

And good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks