• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration of M43 by first time MV buyer

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening...Looks to be solid...Still working on my rear compartment...Need to find the litter racks..:???:[/QUOTE

I got the litter rack and rear sheet metal skin components f from a donor truck after looking around for quite a while. Ialso had to find the cab sheet metal skin

Look for a donor M43 or parting out of a litter rack equipped M43. The donor truck I got had no engine, transmission, diferential third member, cab floor boards, cab seats, windows, instruments, etc. It was completely stripped except for the rear compartment litter racks, floor and sheet metal skin.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merry xmas and a happy new year to all......

I finished the m43 and these are the finish pictures with the neww tires mounted.

Thank you to all who viewed this post.......

Now i can start on the 1971 m35a2 w/w i purchased!

Attachments

Gunfreak25

You make me want to buy an M37 maintenance truck that is for sale at a local surplus yard here. Your attention to detail is blatantly obvious, mission accomplished and a job well done on preserving a future museum piece.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice restoration! I thought Bishop rang a bell. My family stayed at the Rocking K Ranch there in 1969, when I was 5 yrs old. I still remember the place.

saddamsnightmare

December 26th, 2011.

If you ask Jamie Farr, he may just drive it for you!

Exquisite restoration, I used to drive the Canadian Fargo version of this used for a radio truck (M151-I think)... Slow noisy and not overpowered.

Good Job!:D

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice restoration! I thought Bishop rang a bell. My family stayed at the Rocking K Ranch there in 1969, when I was 5 yrs old. I still remember the place.

The Ranch is still here!

Thank you for the comments and have a great New Year

toddbe

FINALLY, PREPPING AND PAINTING FOR EXTERIOR FINISH. I am not after a glass like finish and am using 24087 semi gloss as the finish color.
Pioneer rack on the M43 - I have not seen this before, but love the idea. What that a common practice (i.e. military approved) or is that your idea? Todd

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pioneer rack on the M43 - I have not seen this before, but love the idea. What that a common practice (i.e. military approved) or is that your idea? Todd

In the manuals I used (TM 9-2320-212-10, TM 9-2320-212-20, TM 9-2320-212-10P, TM 9-2320-212-34P and TM 9-2320-212-35), the indication was that the M43 and M43B1 of the Dodge 4X4 M37 series did not come equipped with a pioneer rack when delivered.

The strange thing was that some of the M43 ambulances were delivered with the front winch just like the M37, M37B1, M201 and M201B1 according to the TM's.

Like all military units in the Army, many were "field equipped" with various modifications and changes by the troops and units that used them. Since the M37 trucks had the pioneer rack and tools mounted on the rear tail gate to be used as needed, it only seems natural that somewhere someone began placing the pioneer racks on the ambulance since they felt it was needed. Another example of field modifications to the M43 is having three jerry can holders. One on the passenger front fender and one on each of the rear doors of the ambulance. (The ambulance came equipped with a holder on the drivers side rear door and on the passenger side front fender only).

The problem that I can see for the M43 ambulances that do not have a pioneer rack is the problem of mounting the rack with nuts washers and bolts to the sides. The walls are (were) insulated then covered with a steel interior skin screwed on to the beams inside of the patient compartment. To access the area that the pioneer rack is mounted required removing the entire wall covering piece for that side of the vehicle. Not the easiest task for one man, and a maintenance pain in the butt to replace or remove.

So...I really do not have a conclusive answer as to why and how this set up started with the M43 rack on one side or the other of the patient compartment. I personally liked the looks of it and thought it would come in handy if stuck or for other purposes as well.

I have a spare CD with the M37 series manuals on it that I can send you if you need one. Just let me know.

Hope this helped?

Gordon
Ex-U.S. Army
Armored Infantry

Last edited:

zout

Look up Knurled Nut Zert and Nut Zert Crimpers - all different size zerts for different applications and in many assortments. This should help you get your pioneet rack mounted to where you can remove it easily as well.

I use these tools as well - I just did the minature ones for Dinger65's 8 screws for the battery cover on his M38A1. Look close. All the racks mounted to the exterior of both 109's are installed with the larger nut zert fittings - and I have a set of these large crimpers as well.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up Knurled Nut Zert and Nut Zert Crimpers - all different size zerts for different applications and in many assortments. This should help you get your pioneet rack mounted to where you can remove it easily as well.

I use these tools as well - I just did the minature ones for Dinger65's 8 screws for the battery cover on his M38A1. Look close. All the racks mounted to the exterior of both 109's are installed with the larger nut zert fittings - and I have a set of these large crimpers as well.

A BIG thankyou to Zout for the "Knurled Nut Zert" information. I could of saved myself worlds of hurt on many projects with this information. I was always looking at anchors and attachment stuff and never saw this!

I was also helped a great deal by a S.S. member regarding the use of Corn Head Grease, which I was also ignorant about.

What a great site with great people!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks