• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration of M43 by first time MV buyer

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coming up next

Soon to follow is cab prep for paint and cab accessories

Cutom siren install with custom timed siren relay

Weld repair of storage compartment door for a lock

Weld repair of metal split at corner of hood

Pioneer rack repair and pioneer tools refurb.

Solargizer roof installation

Then the exterior paint prep will begin.

90% of the mechanicals were done before all else. New brake shoes, wheel kits, master cylinder rebuilt, brake lines replaced where needed, Xfer case all new seals, oil pan and lifter cover gaskets, oil sending unit, new oil filter lines, new thermostat, flush and replace all fluids in differentials trans and xfer case. New fillter and oil in engine, air cleaner cleaned and new oil, Radiator check flush and re anti freeze. Heater high low voltage control board installed (drops the voltage for low speed increases for jigh speed) Installed flashing red light in grill front with relay (fused circuit) Repaired spotlight and rewired circuit. Lubed all zerk fittings (chassis) repaired emergency brake assembly, installed new throttle cable, installed new flasher and turn signal assembly. Rewired for turn signals, changed all fuel filters Replaced burned out bulbs, Installed missing bumper brackets, installed missing wheel well covers, installed clutch, brake, gas pedal and shifter boots. New shifter knob installed, repaired the horn. 70% undercoating completed, replace oil pressure gauge, replaced speedometer cable, replaced radiator cap chain, new rubber tips for hood rods, New rubber insulation for windows, wiper on off valve (vacuum) Two new ventilation exhaust blower motors (rewired new and fused), replaced missing seal / cover remover bolts on all four wheels. Installed a 24VDC jumper cable connector outlet (drivers side per TM), front timing cover seal and gasket, fuel pump and much much more.

I have one minor oil leak that leaves drops in the driveway after drving around that I have to locate and repair.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The siren install is not mil-spec. I wanted a siren, but I did not want the big federal fender mount type so I make my own
mounting bracket, relay assembly and mount location on the front of the ambulance.

Attachments

zout

The addition seems to be what you wanted on it and that is the way it should be.

Thanks for keeping the progress coming on the pictures.

If you see a 43 running around it is probably mine that got obsoundered with here about a month ago - it was blind thievery. Can you believe the culprits loaded it up in broad daylight and took it. Had to have had help - its more than a one man job - probably a whole gang of culprits.

What you going to go after next on it ?

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The addition seems to be what you wanted on it and that is the way it should be.

Thanks for keeping the progress coming on the pictures.

If you see a 43 running around it is probably mine that got obsoundered with here about a month ago - it was blind thievery. Can you believe the culprits loaded it up in broad daylight and took it. Had to have had help - its more than a one man job - probably a whole gang of culprits.

What you going to go after next on it ?

I am doing accessories now. Finishing painting the cab interior, labeling the instrument panel and all accsseory switches, adding extinguisher, document trip pouch, emergency road reflector kit, plasma bottles, etc.

Also getting outside ready for painting. Thank you for your interesat. and I sure am saddened to hear about your 43. I think I would have gone ballistic!

zak

Did the rear interior come painted white from the factory or was it done by the military? My white was pealing like a old house. There was a base layer of OD. The paint was almost non existent in the bottoms of the storage bins.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the rear interior come painted white from the factory or was it done by the military? My white was pealing like a old house. There was a base layer of OD. The paint was almost non existent in the bottoms of the storage bins.
In all the research I did (for the U.S. Army only), and in the answers to my questions on SS regarding the paint color for the rear of the ambulance, I arrived at the following;

The Military specification says you may paint the interior olive drab (the OD. shade for the era of the vehicle), white or sea foam geen (depending on the vehicle era). They left the final decision up to the individual units. There was a stipulation that the interior of the rear doors had to be the color of the exterior (olive drab for the army). I believe this was done for tactical reasons in the field.

So, the choice of color is yours depending on whether you want to be exact to the vehicle era or not.

As far as the factory goes, I do not know what color the rear patient area was when delivered to the particular branch of service. My guess (and only a guess) would be white or blue for the air force, white or gray for the Navy. and white or O.D. for the Army and Marines.

I used Sea Foam Green Mil Spec acrylic enamel that I got from a local auto paint dealer who was able to get it for me. This color was used alot for the interior of armoured venicles like the tank, APC, and others.

zak

Thanks, the way the paint was pealing I didn't think it was factory applied. I haven't seen one in sea foam yet, it could be a good choice.

zout

Torisco - do not take this the wrong way - its not meant to be harmfull.

When I got the 109 - sea foam was in the interior and I could not get rid of it fast enough. It gave me the creeps and made me wanna puke everytime I looked at it.

When I sandblasted the back of the 43 I saw no removing evidence there had been seafoam in it under the layers. If I were a momentary patient in the back of one and it was painted sea foam - I truely believe I would have to slit my throat as it would make me nausiated.

I am color blind - but I can sure as heck figure out this color for some reason.

I see absolutely no reason NOT to paint the rear if that is what you want and more power to you - go for it. The white that was designated for the square on the red cross that coordinated with the od and also the specific red. I just decided to use the same white on the interior - just looks more hospital like.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, the way the paint was pealing I didn't think it was factory applied. I haven't seen one in sea foam yet, it could be a good choice.
I have attached some info on the Sea Foam GreenNil Spec. color.
The acrylic enamel is so expensive that I got the smallest amount (1 quart)and had the color matched in an enamel by a paint color machine at the local True Value.

If you ar enot a purist, that is the way to go for Sea Foam Green. (I still have the formula for the True Values Paint I purchased)

Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Torisco - do not take this the wrong way - its not meant to be harmfull.

When I got the 109 - sea foam was in the interior and I could not get rid of it fast enough. It gave me the creeps and made me wanna puke everytime I looked at it.

When I sandblasted the back of the 43 I saw no removing evidence there had been seafoam in it under the layers. If I were a momentary patient in the back of one and it was painted sea foam - I truely believe I would have to slit my throat as it would make me nausiated.

I am color blind - but I can sure as heck figure out this color for some reason.

I see absolutely no reason NOT to paint the rear if that is what you want and more power to you - go for it. The white that was designated for the square on the red cross that coordinated with the od and also the specific red. I just decided to use the same white on the interior - just looks more hospital like.

I really was perplexed at what color to use. I chose the sea foam green because the white got dirtied up so fast and any nicks or scratches really showed up.

As I remember, I questioned myself about whether I liked that color when I was in a Army Hospital in 1962. The interior was a minty green similar to Sea Foam Green

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FINALLY, PREPPING AND PAINTING FOR EXTERIOR FINISH. I am not after a glass like finish and am using 24087 semi gloss as the finish color.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MORE OF: FINALLY, PREPPING AND PAINTING FOR EXTERIOR FINISH. I am not after a glass like finish and am using 24087 semi gloss as the finish color.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks