• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N Scale train

eagle4g63

Boy, train nuts too!!!! Wait till my wife finds out about this. I've been in the N scale for about 20 years and for some strange reason never thought to look at the military stuff for it:cookoo: I guess I'll have to start. Boy one more thing in the house to be camo!!!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, N scale is too hard to see and too small, but the 1:1 scale has it's share of problems too! everything is HEAVY!

The stuff is scattered around, the army cars are at Eustis. I didn't win the lottery, I was just in the right place at the right time. The double decker car is scrap- I'm going to scrap it and pay for the bearing conversion. It sucks, the wheels and bearings on my cars are like new- but can't move them anymore.

bearboley

Well, N scale is too hard to see and too small, but the 1:1 scale has it's share of problems too! everything is HEAVY!

The stuff is scattered around, the army cars are at Eustis. I didn't win the lottery, I was just in the right place at the right time. The double decker car is scrap- I'm going to scrap it and pay for the bearing conversion. It sucks, the wheels and bearings on my cars are like new- but can't move them anymore.

They won't touch friction bearing trucks anymore will they, not like it was 20 years ago when they would interchange anything that would roll

12Bravo

Yes everything is HEAVY! I never worked on any rolling stock or engines while assigned to my first unit but did work on the track. Watching the guys work on the rolling stock and engines made me glad to pound spikes :lol:

SMOKEWAGON66

If you look up some of the TM's for those type vehicles, you can find the instructions for how the vehicles should be chained and blocked for transport. With some stripwood and scale chain you could have some really nice looking cars. It wouldn't take long either.
lol..i was cleaning out my garage this weekend, and i found my old copy of the rail tie down TM...and the Truck tie down TM i kept in my truck at all times....

Wolf.Dose

N-scale is fine, especially for loooong trains on small places. I have N trains for different reasons. H0, like the lay out of Derrickl112 is also nice. However, as somebody commanded, it is to be taken to notice, that a correct scale lay out of a military compound as a tank farm can not be scaled down to H0 due to space reasons (except you have the space of two football fields).
The admireors of Lionel:Sorry, I hav e to say that Lionel was o.k. in the 40's and 50's with their level of detailing. However, for my understanding, they are too expensive for their detail level.
G-scale, a scale I use since LGB had with the trac IIm its 10th anniversary.
So I try to add some pics of my collection.
Wolf

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

And some more. It is not the very latest, however I hope it gave you an idea of my modall railroading.
I just collect what I like regardless the scale.
Wolf

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Vrayag,
I do not run that train, it is just a for fun and Ilike it collection. Except IIm the trains do not run on my layout so far. May be in the future H0e will have a change.
Wolf

Varyag

I had a big display like that too but had a kid and ended up just shelving it all. I went to a discount store and scored about 300 feet of bachmann snap track. So now me and my kid setup track that runs all over the house and watch the trains. I have a nice digital controller that I saved from the big layout days and that's what we run it with now.

I showed him how to run it at like 1.5 and he really liked it.

To make this MV related... i have HO deuces that ride on flat cars :)

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Maerklin : NEVER! All my stuff is DC! Im originated in Trix, all the other brands are Rivarossi, Brava, Bremo, Tillig, LGB, Bachmann, Aristo, Kato, Tomix, Tenshodo, Arnold, Egger Bahn, Liliput, Fleischmann, Mehano; allways and ever DC! LGB is DC and always was DC! And the Sanley Steamer off course is also DC of Trix. Only the electric guiding couplers are of Maerklin junk. Hovever, necessary to get the train illuminated.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks