• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy looking to build a bobbed Deuce

Ma Duce

Ok I’m new to this stuff, but have gotten the bug.

So I’m looking for a deuce to bob. I have a use for a large 4x4 that can pull stuff, and maybe a full size deuce down the road. The fabrication part of it, shouldn’t be a problem, but based upon the threads I have read and pics I have seen, it creates more questions than answers…. I’m leaning towards doing an A3 if I can get one for the right price, the auctions the other day the ones close went for more money than I was willing to spend, I was in on the two up at Ft. McCoy that drove on the lot and looked good.

Like, why use a set of front springs to mount the rear axel?

In one conversion, I saw the guy added new frames rails.

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff422/Tirediron555/?action=view&current=IMG_0326.jpg

He seemed to indicate that if you use front springs the truck has a rake to it and squats in the rear. So he added the extra height with the “new” frame rails.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of guys run oversized tires on them and there are conversions to run HEMTT rims on the trucks. What size are the HEMTT tires/rims?

I’d like to have a winch, but don’t see a lot of A3s out there with them. So is it possible to add one later?

I’m planning on using the stock bed and shortening it. I like the looks better. But how much should a A3 that is in drivable condition run at an auction these days? Or even a decent A2.

I drove all kinds of stuff in the Army from the deuce, to the 5 ton to the 578s and 113s and wreckers. I remember those first 5 tons with “power” steering and auto transmissions. What a dream they were to the power steering by “Armstrong” in those old deuces. I went in, in ‘83

So from all you experienced hands, what can you tell a cherry about what looks to be a new addiction…

Last edited:

goodguyzy

are you trying to make a everyday driver? If so an A3 even with 46" tires is not going to give you a top speed you will be happy with. You may also find an A2 that is already bobbed close to you. I'm 80% done and the money I spent I could of bought one already done for less. ( did hire someone to do most work since i work full time) but I know exactly what my truck has and how it was done is the only good part.

Ma Duce

Not an everyday driver, I have a 250 Superduty for that.

But on a hunting trip, when I grab a bobcat for some extra work at the hunting grounds, and my buddy was thinking about it for towing his steam shovel from time to time for parades.

The A3 gets my attention from the 3116. it's thre model before the civies put all the electronics on it.

It could see a fair amount of use and regular hour long commutes to the hunting honey hole.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not an everyday driver, I have a 250 Superduty for that.

But on a hunting trip, when I grab a bobcat for some extra work at the hunting grounds, and my buddy was thinking about it for towing his steam shovel from time to time for parades.

The A3 gets my attention from the 3116. it's thre model before the civies put all the electronics on it.

It could see a fair amount of use and regular hour long commutes to the hunting honey hole.

It would tow a bobcat alright , but when you refer to your buddies " steam shovel " are you refering to a excavator ? A duece dosn't have a towing capacity to tow even a small excavator .

Dave08

All really good questions to get the addiction flowing even faster. This is a great forum for your answers and I am just getting ready to start my project. I visited Apopka's project and he did a fantastic job. Drove over an hour to spend some time looking at his A3 build. He has done a great job.
I have two M109A3 deuces that I am playing with. Currently in the parts hunting mode. As far as prices go, there seems to be some disagreement with the prices that things are fetching these days. Florida just had an auction and the prices, according to other SS members, went very high. I thought that they were in line with what I have been seeing. I got my vehicles from Ft McCoy WS and for a reasonable price; both under $3K but the shipping killed me to get them here to Florida. Cost is a relative thing. Watch the auctions on GL and form an opinion on what your max price is to pay for a particular vehicle. For example, I have noticed that the availability of the A2 models is becoming scarce to a degree and the A3 models are becoming more prevalent. Winch Trucks seem to fetch a higher price than non winch trucks, Hardtops fetch more than soft tops. Remember, you can add these things later and most of the additional components can be found so that you can put them on yourself depending on how handy you are at wrenching. I, myself, will do my work for the enjoyment of it. So you see it is really up to what you are wanting to accomplish and how much you are willing to spend. You will see a lot of sage advise on these pages, you will also see a lot of comments you do not agree with. If you are going to do the auction at GL, then my advise is to set a predetermined price and do not get caught up in the auction fever. Remember you have a small GL fee as well as shipping if you are not going to pick the item/vehicle up yourself.
Good luck and I for one look forward to your posts and welcome you to SS! One last piece of advice from one newbie to another, learn to use the search function as a lot of your questions have more than likely been asked before. Again welcome to SS!
Dave08:grd:

Ma Duce

I use to train at Ft. McCoy and it's about 4 hours from my house so it's drivable. I also have a friend in Alabama who is willing to help out. He has a ford 9000 dump truck that we can tow one with if need be.

I have another friend who has about a dozen or more trucks, from wreckers to dueces and a couple of 5 tons, he said he woul dbe willing to loan me a tow bar if I needed one. So I got some options as Huntsville is only an hour from my friend to go get one from their.

I have access to all the tools I need to do just about anything. And I use to build and race hot rods. I've wrenched on dozers and loaders and had a couple years of heavy truck mechanics, so none of this scares me and time is not an issue. I would do it my self just cause I like doing things like this. I like the problem solving and knowing I did it with my two hands.

I keep reading that guys have problems with the CTIS and suggest dissconnecting them. I wonder what the problem with them is? they were just coming out and getting popular on truicks when I left the military.

I've seen a lot of 5 ton tractors, and saw the thread on converting a 5 ton to fifth wheel rig, so I would wonder if the wheel base is to short to make a bobbed model out of one, or if you would use the rear axel as opposed to the front one?

Yea I just checked with my buddy I think the shovel might be a bit heavy. But for getting around hunting and some other work with a bobcat and such I think one would be great.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just rember to at least put lockers in the rear. My keeper bob Deuce will have lockers in the rear 4 shure and the front if the money is there.

91W350

I think the doubling of the frame gives height to the rear of the truck. Looks like there is a toss up between doubling the frame and using a spacer block on the axle to get the truck level. There has been a lot of discussion about spring wrap running a spacer block and the length of the U bolts. I do not have a problem with either design, if I were going to build one, I would just build the axle spacer. Glen

Chief_919

Ok I’m new to this stuff, but have gotten the bug.

So I’m looking for a deuce to bob. I have a use for a large 4x4 that can pull stuff, and maybe a full size deuce down the road.
An unmodified duece is doing all it can to safely tow anotehr duece. No way I would tow a duece with a bobbed truck.

Dave08

Recovery Options/Have Fun

I use to train at Ft. McCoy and it's about 4 hours from my house so it's drivable. I also have a friend in Alabama who is willing to help out. He has a ford 9000 dump truck that we can tow one with if need be. To cold for my blood! I am a southern boy, spent 26 years in the Corps and 7 of those years supporting the US Army.

I have another friend who has about a dozen or more trucks, from wreckers to dueces and a couple of 5 tons, he said he woul dbe willing to loan me a tow bar if I needed one. So I got some options as Huntsville is only an hour from my friend to go get one from their. Good option but you still have to get the vehicle from Huntsville to WS.....long drive. You may want to keep an eye out for what McCoy is selling and then do the recovery from there.

I have access to all the tools I need to do just about anything. And I use to build and race hot rods. I've wrenched on dozers and loaders and had a couple years of heavy truck mechanics, so none of this scares me and time is not an issue. I would do it my self just cause I like doing things like this. I like the problem solving and knowing I did it with my two hands. I am the same way, grew up turning wrenches and racing cars (1/4 mile Gulfport International Speedway, MS) I also am doing all my work myself for the fun of it; I am just having problems with a few neighbors right now. When I recover something from Huntsville, I make a trip to the In Laws with the wife. In laws live in Mobile, AL and the CinC House is happy visiting while I am off to Huntsville for the day picking up things. Time always seems to be the problem that I have with recovery operations.

I keep reading that guys have problems with the CTIS and suggest dissconnecting them. I wonder what the problem with them is? they were just coming out and getting popular on truicks when I left the military.

I've seen a lot of 5 ton tractors, and saw the thread on converting a 5 ton to fifth wheel rig, so I would wonder if the wheel base is to short to make a bobbed model out of one, or if you would use the rear axel as opposed to the front one? My friend has a bobbed 5 ton from an 800 series 5 ton. His is actually the M813 and he has the winch version with a M105A2 bed. Next time I am up his way, I will take pictures and post them. I believe he used the intermediate axle for his bobbed but he did not do the work. He purchased the vehicle already bobbed.

Yea I just checked with my buddy I think the shovel might be a bit heavy. But for getting around hunting and some other work with a bobcat and such I think one would be great.
I say go for it and the fever only increases and you, at this point, may be terminal! If not, as soon as you recover your first MV, you will be terminal! Have fun and again welcome to the forum!
Dave08

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the doubling of the frame in back is for guys who are using 105 trailer springs and don't want to use a lift block or fabricate custom hangers/shackles. I would recommend using front springs from a donor deuce, they "simply" bolt on and will give you a level ride height without blocks.

oddshot

An unmodified duece is doing all it can to safely tow another duece. No way I would tow a duece with a bobbed truck.

This is a pretty good piece of advice for a new feller ...

Although you shed a lot of weight when you bob the truck ... when you change to a sing axle in the rear you are reducing the numbers of tires that give you traction for BRAKING ... by about a third.

When you tow ... it ain't so much gittin' her going that's the problem ... as it is gittin' her to STOP.

Also remember ... the Deuce has a single circuit braking system. This means if you blow a hose or a cylinder under braking ... you got no more brakes.

In 1968 our government mandated that all passenger vehicles sold in the US must have a dual circuit braking system.

If your gonna tow with a bobber ... keep the load light ... and be careful.

oddshot

Ma Duce

Tie --

thanks for the explination. So front springs and I shouldn't need to add blocks or box the frame. That helps make the decision for me.

Oddshot --

thanks for the reminder.

Dave -- It's a long ride from Alabama to Illinois, normal about 12 hours. But we'll see where the deal falls and if McCoy gets any good deals on drivable trucks.

But all the info helps guys, keep it coming.

Awesome Possum

I think the doubling of the frame in back is for guys who are using 105 trailer springs and don't want to use a lift block or fabricate custom hangers/shackles. I would recommend using front springs from a donor deuce, they "simply" bolt on and will give you a level ride height without blocks.
I agree with this part. Mine isn't finished yet, but I am going with the front spring setup. They're getting a little harder to find since a deuce has to be permanently put out of commission, and the folks that have the parts are making bobbers themselves to resell. I'm not even gonna' admit to what I gave in $ and trade for that spring setup, but it'll be worth it in the end.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I paid around $250.00 for my front springs (as yet unused since I sold the object of the bob).

I have a buddy that has two parts dueces that have front springs left but he does not sell cheap.

It is rumored that you can use the front springs off a 5 ton and get a better ride.....there was a thread on it a while back.....may not be any easier to find those either.

Ma Duce

I think I'm gonna have to call my friend and take a ride out to his motorpool and see what he has. I'm sure he's got parts, maybe even some springs. I think he is looking to do a "bobber" project.

But the other thing I keep seeing is guys changing out the tires or rims. What gives and what can you use?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks