• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MTVR? availability?

DouglasCo

I was going down the I-25 thru denver a while back and saw an oshkosh:

6x6x6 wheel steering, independent suspension on the rear. Hydraulic rams for the suspension. Planetaries.

was pulling a matching trailer with good sized matching wheel loader with a backhoe attachment in place of the bucket.

Am guessing it was an MTVR but i didn't know those steered in the back. Geez it was sweet!

Maybe i don't need a HET afterall. What is a het going for these days?

sandcobra164

The tractor version of the MTVR, the Mk-31 does have rear steering as well as a fully hydraulic suspension on the back axles. It doesn't have a spare tire and it makes up for it by being able to lift 1 side of the intermediate axle (not really accurate, it's independent suspension all the way around) in the event that you do have a flat. The rear steering only engages after a 90 degree turn of the steering wheel from straight. It's actually impossible to jackknife going backwards. You can start with a trailer at a 90 degree angle and as long as you steer the correct way, it'll straighten out!! And it has planetary drive wheel ends, a CAT C12 ACERT good for 425 / 1550, and tops out at 65 mph. Very nice setup. Available for auction sometime in my lifetime but probably no time soon.

sandcobra164

To my knowledge they have not decided to sell any yet. We still rebuild them and there is no replacement in sight or even sought after. We even store damaged beyond economical to repair trucks for critical parts. I have only seen one in private hands and it was a remnant of a truck that had set on fire and melted most anything electrical and soft metal. I still think they are awesome trucks but I doubt we will see a release of them anytime soon. If it happens soon, the market will likely be too high for me to jump in the pool and me and the M923 will continue being good friends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks