• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Air Pack on a Deuce?

codyharper15

Throwing out an idea. If I modify the mounting of my air pack, could I put a 5 ton air pack on my Deuce? And would this make my truck stop quicker and stop a bigger load?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Short answer, no. Long answer, I can make my brakes lock up the tires(395s) with the stock system. Why would you think you could make a system better than an engineer could(with one component)?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a complete brake inspection, cleaning and adjustment(while it's apart, repack all your bearings and replace your seals). Rebuild all wheel cylinders, the master cylinder and brake booster(air pack) and you will have great brakes.

All of this is covered in the TMs

KsM715

The braking "power" does not come from the air pack, it comes from the size of the braking material on the shoes and the size of the drums. The more area (5ton shoes and drums, the more area to dissapate (sp?) heat. It does not come from the amount of pressure applied. Yes, in a small way it does have to do with some pressure from the pedal but there's more to it than that.

Jake0147

Indeed, operating pressures are not different on the two systems, only the expected volume demand of the system. The deuce braking system is not deficient in performance, rather it is deficient in redundancy (single outlet), it is deficient in longevity of the linings if used to the rated capacity of the components, and it's kind of a pain to make the required fluid check to spot impending failure before it fails. Overall that's a very small list, in it's day it was pretty state of the art.
If you're having a braking achieving the braking performance you expect, you'll find your problem is an airpack that is faulty (needing a fix or replacement, not a retrofit), or else you will find wheel end braking components that are not in serviceable condition.

If you want to modify the braking system, lots here will disagree but if you're qualified and you use good components, then it can be done. The only people I fault for doing that are the folks who have not taken the time to understand the system they are modifying and really have no clue what they started with, or just what implications their modifications will have. Hydromax and disks come to mind as having been done with good results for their owners, however this should not and can not be a substitute for any and all remaining (or new) components being in 100 percent functional condition. Band-aids on brakes should not be considered. Fix first. Then modify.

dittle

I know a guy who used a deuce air pack on a 5 ton and it bolted right up. Air chamber on it was a little smaller but other than that he had no issues putting it on. Don't know why a 5 ton pack wouldn't do the same, maybe something would interfer with the bigger air chamber.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet the brakes on a 2-1/2 would be TOUCHY with a 5-ton air-pack.
As stated above, when the brakes are right, parts and adjustments, they will lock the tires and that is 100% that can be expected from the brake system.
Quicker is more of a tire issue (assuming locked tires) loads are not as big a factor (if the tires will lock then load is no factor). [The weigh cancels out in the calculations.]

The stock brakes are mil rated to perform with 24,000# of truck and load now, how much do you want to stop?

JasonS

The braking "power" does not come from the air pack, it comes from the size of the braking material on the shoes and the size of the drums. The more area (5ton shoes and drums, the more area to dissapate (sp?) heat. It does not come from the amount of pressure applied. Yes, in a small way it does have to do with some pressure from the pedal but there's more to it than that.
Brake stopping power (ie. friction) is determined by the force and the coefficient of friction between the lining material and the drum or rotor. Area is not part of the friction equation. Obviously, the larger the diameter, the higher the surface speed and the higher the braking force.

hilber

I thought I locked my up today. Had to make a quick stop after an idiot did what idots do. Stopped with no warning and for no reason. I stopped but it was close.

KsM715

I believe area is part of the coefficient of friction equation.

My point was that an airpack off a 5ton will not make a deuce stop a heavier load.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Had to make a quick stop after an idiot did what idots do. Stopped with no warning and for no reason. I stopped but it was close.
That's why they put loud, shrill air horns on the deuce....to inform idiots of their stupidity.

I once used mine to assist a ditzy blond (applying makeup and yapping on cell phone) in inserting a lipstick a few inches into her nose. I don't know if it broke her of the habit but it was funny as ell.

JasonS

I believe area is part of the coefficient of friction equation.
I remember arguing your point with my college physics proffessor nearly 20 years ago. It is counterintuitive but correct that area is not part of the formula for calculating friction which is:

fk = ukN

where

fk is the kinetic friction force

uk is is the coefficient of kinetic friction

N is the force

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks