• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are MEP 002A AND 003A injectors interchangeable?

storeman

Earlier this week I started a thread asking for help/advice on dealing with a broken off glow plug in one of my MEP-002a's. I have a MEP_003a for parts and was told the heads were the same, so I intend to put the 003a head on the 002a this weekend. From the outside the injectors look the same between the two units but my 002a's have injectors with springs visible when the cap nut is removed. The ones in the 003a are built differently. Anyone know if they can be interchanged?
Thanks,
Jerry

Isaac-1

I suspect they can be, probably just different generations of the same part. I say this based on the fact they both use the same injection pump (just 2 ports are capped off on the MEP-002) so operating pressure should be the same, and they are on the same engine family with the same number of KW per cylinder.

Ike

storeman

Thanks Ike.
I had pretty much reached to same conclusion. All this is trial and error for me and I appreciate any experienced advice.
I'll have some idea on head and injector interchangeability by Monday. Am also hoping I'll be able to reuse the metal head gaskets.
Jerry :)

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jerry, the injectors should be identical between the two generators. The only thing different on them is is the cooling fins between the two injectors in the same head, but the fins are just an added piece, and not integral to the injector. If you are swapping the entire head, that's not even an issue.

storeman

Tom,

Injectors are Not the same. When I get the head off again tomorrow I'll try to take some pics. the 002 fired up today after I changed head and kept the same injectors I had but I got some big BANGS from the front of cylinder one. the head gasket on the head i moved was much better than the one on the 002a. looked new in fact, but it apparently isn't sealed. is there a high temp gasket seal that might work in this case? I'll check for obvious damage tomorrow.

anyone know if head gaskets are available for these units? Oh, BTW: the center bolt was broken off on the head (#1 IN THE TIGHTENING SEQUENCE) it is now a centering reference pin. wonder if i could move the cylinder housing if needed? haven't checked to see how it is attached to the short block. anybody know?
aua
jerry
PS any chance of getting a copy of your PM on governor start point, or is at a lift from the TM?

Last edited:

PeterD

Two thoughts...

1. Head-gaskets are not reusable even if they look new. You need to use a new one to get it to seal correctly.

2. You need all the bolts (studs) on the head, if one is broken remove and replace it.

Diesel engines are really hard on head gaskets, they build much higher pressures compared to gasoline engines. The head gasket, and installation, has to be done exactly right or it will fail.

storeman

thanks peterd,
it is already failing. is guess i'll have to see how to deal with this ground mounted monster. i got it off a trailer but don't think i can get it back on to go to machine shop. hopefully i can find a way to strip the cylinder housing and swap it out with one from the MEP 003a

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom,

Injectors are Not the same. When I get the head off again tomorrow I'll try to take some pics. the 002 fired up today after I changed head and kept the same injectors I had but I got some big BANGS from the front of cylinder one. the head gasket on the head i moved was much better than the one on the 002a. looked new in fact, but it apparently isn't sealed. is there a high temp gasket seal that might work in this case? I'll check for obvious damage tomorrow.

anyone know if head gaskets are available for these units? Oh, BTW: the center bolt was broken off on the head (#1 IN THE TIGHTENING SEQUENCE) it is now a centering reference pin. wonder if i could move the cylinder housing if needed? haven't checked to see how it is attached to the short block. anybody know?
aua
jerry
PS any chance of getting a copy of your PM on governor start point, or is at a lift from the TM?
Jerry,

The injectors ARE the same. They might look different, but as mentioned before that is probably because of a different generation of the same part.

Look at the TM's, the -24P manual for the 002a page 152 figure 45 item #1...NSN 2910-00-869-5668. The -24P manual for the 003a page 146 figure 47 item #1...NSN 2910-00-869-5668

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jerry,

About the governor, it's nothing more than having the droop screw setting in about the middle of the range of operation. You'll need a good tach or frequency meter to determine the RPMs so you can set the max and min speed settings, and a good full load for the generator to set the droop.

If you look at the droop screw, it looks like a large very course threaded bolt. There is a spring hook that is around that screw, as you adjust the droop ratchet nut, the hook will move up or down in the "threads" of the screw. Both of mine have the spring hook in about the center of the screw and the droop is pretty much right on at that setting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks