• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slowest deuce restoration ever

JCKnife

Figured I might as well start a thread since I now have at least three pics to include...but they are a almost 2 years apart!

I brought her home right around Christmas of 2009. The bumper and grill priming was done in June 2010. And the most recent one with the new fender on and side-panel primed is from today.

I'm hoping to get the hood primed before winter. Also the front bumper was bent and I straightened it with an arbor press.

At this rate I'll be done in 2014 or so?

Attachments

Katahdin

I feel your pain, mine came home around Christmas 09 as well. What helped a lot was setting a Memorial Day deadline so the exterior would be presentable for the parades. Now I'm catching up on the interior work.

JCKnife

Figured my existing thread was the best place to post these new pics. Took off the old bumper and put on the new bumper in anticipation of the coming winch. Yes I know I'll have to take a lot of this apart again to get the winch in. But with brand-new bolts it'll be a snap.

Attachments

jasonjc

I started on my M135 back in 2001or2. It's striped all the way down to the frame. Thats about all I got done on it. Then there is my M45a2/530C fire truck. I got it back in 2003or4(?).I cleaned it up some took all the rotten wood out of the hose bed. Removed the left front fender and started to replace the rust parts of the fender. Thats all I got done on that.:-(
It seems I'm good at starting but I seem to lack alot in the finshing part:-x
Would some one please stop by and put a boot up my a$$!

JCKnife

Looks great so far, will you disassemble for the final painting or spray it together ?
I'm thinking mostly no; if I have everything apart for the scrape and primer, then I think a "motorpool" application of the Rapco top coat should be good.

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been working on my Deuce since Oct 2010, so I know what you are going through. Don't give up. A little work each day and you will get done! It's like the old saying, "How do you eat an elephant?" "One bite at a time!" :grd:

DieselBob

I have thought about that happening seeing how these cabs leak all the time and having that large metal plate that makes the base of the seat bolted directly to the metal floor that way. Looks like I might just need to pull my seat and see if anything is hiding under there.

JCKnife

It was not really a surprise, because my seat base was swollen like there was something growing under it. I haven't examined the seat base yet but it almost seemed like they tried to shim it with something that has totally been eaten up at this point. Hard to say, though.

DieselBob

I was just sitting here thinking if it would be a good idea to place a 1/4” or 3/16 hardened washer between the base and floor at the bolt locations to allow air circulation through there. Also would let you blowout dirt and water with a air hose.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks