• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slowest deuce restoration ever

JCKnife

Overall got a lot done this weekend:

Cargo cover off
Bows and seats out
Soft top off
Windshield off and disassembled
Exhaust off
Seats out
Pass. fender off
Mirrors off
doors off

After I get the cab floor welded I'll prep the interior for paint, remove all data plates.

Any concerns / issues with running the engine with the exhaust off? Other than loud and smelly...

JCKnife

Found a very faint marking / numbers under the paint on one of the side panels. Barely visible here. Diamond-shape with numbers at both side-points and either CRCO or CRCQ at the bottom.

Attachments

JCKnife

Question: the rubber flap between the headlight bracket and the radiator: what are folks using as replacements? Is NOS available anywhere or make your own out of...?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Primer went on several parts today. Others being stripped.
The winch in pic#4 looks to be ready for final assembly?
On that adjusting rod I'm missing the counter nuts. Also, it seems the threaded ends are too short for extra nuts?
Maybe your's is a different version of what I have seen so far...?
Anyone else??? :?

G.

Attachments

JCKnife

The winch in pic#4 looks to be ready for final assembly?
On that adjusting rod I'm missing the counter nuts. Also, it seems the threaded ends are too short for extra nuts?
Maybe your's is a different version of what I have seen so far...?
Anyone else??? :?

G.
You are correct that the nuts are missing--still in a bag in the workshop. The threads are there but I didn't mind getting some primer on them so they don't show up as well as the very ends where I didn't hit them with the primer.

Yes, it's ready for final assembly, but I'm going to keep it like this so I can move it around by hand as needed until then.

DieselBob

Question: the rubber flap between the headlight bracket and the radiator: what are folks using as replacements? Is NOS available anywhere or make your own out of...?
This what you looking for ?
http://www.easternsurplus.net/images/duece_spares/Radiatorshroud.JPG

Found it here under the 2.5 ton parts section.

M35 For Sale. Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive, Parts, Truck Parts, M35 parts, M35A2 parts, Deuce and a half parts, Reo parts, 5 ton parts, M900 parts, military vehicles for sale,

JCKnife

JCKnife

Applying paint stripper to the hood revealed some of that big, white 1969 star. Gave me goosebumps (and enthusiasm to keep going)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340830261.347941.jpg

Last edited:

JCKnife

Having some trouble identifying the screw that holds the 2 individual windshield frames to the larger frame. It's a hex-head screw with a 5/16" head and 1/2" length. I'm seeing the diameter as .184 on my calipers.

Looking at McMaster-Carr, I'm seeing 10-24 screws as being .190. I'm hesitant to think that's close enough...

Capt.Marion

Did you double check against the diameter of the holes that they have to go through? Also match the screws up with any spare nuts you may have lying around, and then see if you can figure out what the size is from there? Another option is head to the hardware store/hardware section at Lowe's and see if you can find an equivalent size there to get the correct diameter and thread pitch to order from McMaster.

JCKnife

Seems to be 10-32 at Lowes but a little loose.

McMaster-Carr does have them with the lock washers included. BAG OF 100 though. If anyone needs these hit me up.

Attachments

Last edited:

JCKnife

Here's where we're at today. Been slowed down by heat and bursitis. Not going to make the July 21 parade but will keep after it. MIGHT make a parade in September we'll see.

I did go ahead and change my primary fuel filter today since I have the fender off. Going to change the other 2 also, soon. Just never have, but the truck runs strong really no reason to.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks