• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Shelby 939 series trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rules say, with regard to upcoming auctions, "no good deeds" are allowed.

• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

That means do not post any information about future or current auctions. This is not my rule, but I abide by it. There have been plenty of times that I wanted to post something because I thought it might help someone, but I did not because the rules are the rules. Chris Stansbury and company established these rules. This is his sandbox. I want to play in it so I listen to what Chris tells me. I have broken rules and other members have called me out. No offense taken in those instances. I am SURE the original poster meant to help those interested in bidding.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I should have clarified my last sentence. I am sure the O.P. had good intentions, meant no harm with his post, and I can appreciate that.

KsM715

Ive been trying my best to stay out of these type of threads lately but since its already been brought to the surface I have to agree with DRGREG and BKubu. I agree that the OP has nothing but good intentions and is only trying to look out for us but look at it from the other side. What will his post ultimately do in the results of the bidding? Probably keep those that know from over bidding on these trucks, ultimately keeping the prices down. Thats why we have the rule (I believe anyways). If there is no discussion alowed then there can be no collusion and Chris keeps his butt and the SS website out of hot water.

joeM62

I've seen the rules but forget them a number of times but a big surplus place has been advertising their site and a preview of upcoming vehicles on a number of other sites. They are drawing more people to their site every day making hard for ones trying to get a good deal.
So thinking that rule and what I just said how do you feel now just statement not stepping toes.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
joeM62, you raise a great point. There does seem to be some type of double standard. We can't talk about auctions, but GL advertises in the upper lefthand corner. When GL first started advertising, I was one of the people who was not in favor of it. However, after speaking personally with Chris, I understood his rationale even if I disagreed with the move. GL allows this site to stay free and brings in revenue for the site. Plus, at the time, GL agreed to have a poster on the site who would respond to our concerns. I believe her name was Robin, but we scared her away with our hostility (not mine mind you, but a lot of guys were openly hostile toward her...they took out their dissatisfaction with GL on her). Our threads where we post upcoming auction info don't bring in money. Again, I see how they are the similar or even exactly the same. However, in the end, Chris has his rules. If we don't like them, we are welcome to leave this site. I am choosing to stay because, while it is not perfect, this site is the best of its kind on the Internet. I am sure most would agree.

joeM62

I'm not one to brake the rules here I love hobby like any one else would it just seems like you said a double standard for us here. I'd rather it not be on other sites like tr#d@r@n$i^e trying not brake a rule so it is sugar coded

Ma Duce

Ok I see that people get touchy talking about auctions or specifics. But with the enthusists here trying to work out recovery efforts, and maybe if a bunch of a class of truck were going to show up, then the prices might be a bit lower, might make for an easier time for a guy to recover a truck instead of going 500 miles away or having to pay cartage fees, what is the harm?

If someone came into some information and said, that a group of xxx trucks was going to be coming soon to instilation YY what is the harm?

And for people who can't make a 800 mile trip to preview something, and no that what is being put on the description is pretty accurate as to the type of problems with the vehicle, how does that hurt anything other than give someone here a better idea of what they might bid on?

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I see that people get touchy talking about auctions or specifics. But with the enthusists here trying to work out recovery efforts, and maybe if a bunch of a class of truck were going to show up, then the prices might be a bit lower, might make for an easier time for a guy to recover a truck instead of going 500 miles away or having to pay cartage fees, what is the harm?

If someone came into some information and said, that a group of xxx trucks was going to be coming soon to instilation YY what is the harm?

And for people who can't make a 800 mile trip to preview something, and no that what is being put on the description is pretty accurate as to the type of problems with the vehicle, how does that hurt anything other than give someone here a better idea of what they might bid on?
PM SteelSoldiers...He can answer all your questions...

KsM715

No real harm in that other than it is against site rules.

Whats the harm if Im alone on a flat, straight highway all by myself as far as the eye can see and the road is posted 55mph and I get popped for doing 70mph by highway patrol in an aircraft.

Rules are rules. Long drawn out disscusion of them usually ends up getting the thread locked or deleted.

Edit: I do have one question for the OP, CSM. Are you getting paid by GL? I was informed that GL employees are not alowed to bid in GL auctions.

Last edited:

AceHigh

To the OP, thanks!

To the Hall Monitors. I got nuthin. :driver:

ETA: I understand the need for rules, but we have great moderators. Why all the deputy moderators? Just to argue? Let the mods do their jobs in my very humble opinion. We could all get along better.

Last edited:

KsM715

The mods have alot to deal with already. If we can keep ourselves inline it gives them time to enjoy the site for what it is.

Ever seen DH when he's "had enough"?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under the impression that, while Chris is the ultimate authority, the moderators are here to police things. With that said, I also was under the impression that the membership of this site was to help police things ourselves. PM Chris. See what he'd prefer. As I said, I used to get involved in these threads everytime one came up (every couple of weeks). I got tired of guys getting their panties in a wad when others came on to correctly point out that they had just violated the rules. Read that last sentence again. They just violated the rules. What is wrong in someone pointing out that a poster violated the rules? I am not sure why it is so hard to try to follow the rules. As I said above and have said in other threads, I am not perfect. I have broken the rules accidentally. Other members quickly pointed out my errors. I can recall GIMP and Don (HEADWIZARD) pointing out that I was not supposed to start threads about selling items. I made a mistake. No offense was taken from each. I consider each a friend. Rules are rules. I think for sale threads help guys looking for parts and they help guys sell parts. I think "wanted" threads help guys sell parts and they help guys find parts. They are not allowed. They are only allowed in the classified section. Do I agree with those rules? No, but rules are rules.

BlizzardX23

What I think is funny...is the fact that most people here who have an issue or think they need to chime in and tell someone what they can or can not do...don't say anything to the senior members (no offense wreckerman)...but If someone with a low post count defends this thread...some older members will try to "enforce" the rules...HOWEVER..if wreckerman (an AWESOME member and great guy from what I've read) defends this thread... no one says anything to him... lol

Guys...I promise you...I know there will be HEMTTs brought to auction...just as a heads up for anyone looking for one... in fact, they will be in auction here in the U.S.!

(dont hold your breath...it might be 15 years before it happens)..lol

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rules say, with regard to upcoming auctions, "no good deeds" are allowed.

• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

That means do not post any information about future or current auctions. This is not my rule, but I abide by it. There have been plenty of times that I wanted to post something because I thought it might help someone, but I did not because the rules are the rules. Chris Stansbury and company established these rules. This is his sandbox. I want to play in it so I listen to what Chris tells me. I have broken rules and other members have called me out. No offense taken in those instances. I am SURE the original poster meant to help those interested in bidding.
I specifically quoted Richard's "good deeds" quote. That was not done to call him out. It was to respond to something he said. He figured I could take disagreement from him...which I could...and I disagreed with him. I respect Richard. I have personally phoned him to ask for advice and I'd do so again. He can contact me anytime to discuss things. This is not personal.

Further, I think that the reason that guys with lower post counts get called out is because newer guys are the ones violating the rules more frequently. That is not true all the time. I just said that I have violated the rules and I got called out.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, please remember, I (and others) am not telling someone the things that people can and can't do. The rules ARE. I (and others) are just pointing out the rules. If you disagree with the rules, PM the owner of this site to discuss them. They are not my rules. They are the site's rules and you agreed to them when you joined this site.

BlizzardX23

I wast talking about low post count thread starters...I was talking...if a senior member supports this thread...people will try to set anyone in here straight...except another senior member who thinks differently about a situation lol...just funny..thats all.. :) continue the bickering..eventhough the point was made clear already about rules... its funny to read the rules posted over and over and over so everyone has the chance to be a thread police :)

KsM715

Bruce, you are 100% correct. A couple of years ago I had this exact problem and did just what you said to do, I PM's Chris to see how he felt. I save this PM just for reasons like this. Now maybe he has changed his attitude towards the rules, maybe not. I will post what he replied so others can see what was said to me when I brought this up to him.

Re: The rules
Jeff,

You are welcome for the site and the 3 trucks in your driveway. I suggest you buy 3 more for yourself for Christmas! :razz:

I appreciate you keeping an eye out on the site for rule-breaking posts. The mods stay pretty busy trying to keep up with all the new posts and may not see a bad one for a day or two. Please feel free to point the member to the Forum Rules page if you feel inclined. Most new members respond well to polite warnings from more seasoned members. If you don't feel comfortable saying anything, then hit the report post button and we will get on it ASAP.

Thanks again.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsM715
Chris, first off let me thank you for this great wealth of information of a web site.

I have one problem though and I would like to hear from you how you want to deal with this situation. My pet peve is people posting about active GL/GSA listings. I was guilty of it myself when I was new to this site but after being informed of the rule by other member in the thread I had posted in I understand the reason and agree 100% with why you have this rule. However I would like to know from you how you would like us (other members) to deal with it when we see it happen. When I see a post breaking the rule I reply and let them know we (you) have a rule against what they have done. This has caused some hearthburn among other members. I want to know how you feel about it. Do you want us to: 1. politely let the member know he is breaking the rule 2. click on the report post button and let you or the mods handle it. or 3. leave it alone and just see if you or one of the mods catch it.

It bugs me when ever I see someone break the rule, not just when I plan on bidding on that item but whenever someone posts about any active listing.

Thanks
Jeff

PS I blame you and this site for the 3 trucks taking up space in my driveway:razz:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Also, please remember, I (and others) am not telling someone the things that people can and can't do. The rules ARE. I (and others) are just pointing out the rules. If you disagree with the rules, PM the owner of this site to discuss them. They are not my rules. They are the site's rules and you agreed to them when you joined this site.
Agreed...and whining/complaining about rules we agreed to abide by gets us nowhere.

Post count? Some of the best info I have read came from fellers with only a few posts...they just knew what they were saying and how to say it...and where...cause they read the rules.[thumbzup]

I had a problem with authority and rules when I was young but I sorta grew up eventually, and yes I still screw up sometimes on here, and a moderator will get me back on line...no harm...no foul...it's the rules.

Without them this site would be like some of the others...out of control.

I have to agree...the OP's post was not to intentionally break a rule/regulation but technically...it did.

It is what it is so let's just get past it??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mods have alot to deal with already. If we can keep ourselves inline it gives them time to enjoy the site for what it is.

Ever seen DH when he's "had enough"?
Yup, 3.5 hours of dealing with stupidity tonight, and I read this thread(for the first time)

I've had enough tonight.

If I had one button to just shut this site off for the night, I would hit it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks