• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driving it home

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I bought a deuce thru GL and am planning on going to pick it up and drive it home. I have all the filter numbers but I'm thinking about taking a couple of batteries. What do I need? Also, what brake fluid am I likely to find? It looks like according to some of the specs there could be a couple of different types. Are there any other supplies other than tools that I should take. Thanks for any insight.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS! Most important to take is a digital camera! :D I would expect to find dot 5 for brake fluid. Temporarily any 2 group 24 or 27 batteries should get it going. Don't forget to take a 2 amp fuse for the fuel pump. How far will you be driving it home? An air hose to put on the glad-hand on the rear is real nice to air up the tires if you have more than 100 miles to go. Check the lug nuts before driving it home. do a search here, there should be more than one post on what to expect. Then ask whatever you don't understand. Good luck, keep us informed and post pics.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
What type of 2 amp fuse is it? The old round bus fuse or something different? Is that fuse in a block under the dash or is there a fuse panel somewhere else? Are the batteries the 12 volt RV size?
I did find a couple of other posts and have gotten some good tips from those. I will definitely post pics.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
GL may make you tow it out of their lot

I drove my Deuce home from Southern Virginia and it ran like a top getting about 12 MPG. The issue now is that when I got the M1009 even though it started right up they made me tow it out of the yard. We wound up driving it home once it got out of the yard but you will need to check with the GL folks about what their policies are. If you are at a Post near one of us we most likely would help you get it out with one of our trucks. I know if it is Aberdeen or Fort Meade I may be able to help if I can get off work when you are picking it up.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
It's at Fort Bragg N.C. and I'm just north of Atlanta. That is very nice of you to offer help. Currently, I'm in the pinball machine waiting on approval of the End of Use certificate.
If someone can spare the time, I'd still like to know where the fuel pump fuse is and what type it is.

Thanks,

CGarbee

Their is a little metal 'box' on top of the pump cover/pickup plate on the top of the tank. The electrical harness plucgs into it. Remove the screws, left the cover, and you will see the fuse inside (the cover).

Let me know when you head to Bragg... I'm just down the road in Raleigh...

mendo069

take a wide assortment of tools... you never know.. also ducktape... check all fluids !!!!! just because it has engine oil doen't mean they didn't drain one of the other main items... by that i mean all three differentials...the transfer case.. the transmission... the brake fluid... the radiator... go to the specs page on this site and print the capacities for this stuff and it will also tell you what type and weight to use... good luck and welcome... mendo..

mendo069

p.s. take extra fuses for the fuel pump once you get a look at one....thats the only fuse by the way... and the rv/ marine deep batteries will work just fine... mendo..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring tools for changing a tire. Make sure the passenger side mirror is adjusted, can't do it while driving and keep a baseball cap handy... no sun visors. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back up on my soap box here. My only real consideration is brakes. You must take the time to check out the brakes, hoses and lines thoroughly. Search this site for brake bleeders and check out the one I put together. I take that thing with me everywhere. You just never know.

jasonjc

:ditto:
on the breaks I've been working them on one of my trucks for a week now And I still have no breaks rebuilt master and rears wheels cyl and just started on the fronts. hope that does it if not the air packs next.
Evey wheel/hub I open up I find some thing wrong/broken just found outter seals onthe front hubs. I din't think they were used on the front???
point is when you get one of these CHECK every thing close.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the backup Jason. BTW, you're right, That outer seal is not used on the front.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks