• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anybody ever see a M936 wrecker body - put on a M920 truck ?

saddamsnightmare

October 3rd, 2011.

Interesting prototype rig up there, but I suspect 79M is correct, if the military had needed an M920 wrecker, they probably would have had them. From a layman's point of view, it would seem indeed that a true wrecker imposes strains on its frames and suspention system that a conventional crane does not. For most heavy lifts, a crane is completely off the suspension on outriggers, whereas a wrecker is almost never off the ground and usually takes the lifts, where possible in direct alinement with the frame rails, not across them. If your pockets are deep enough, give it a try, it's your truck to trash, but I am pretty certain that there are civillian wreckers out there on the used market that could equal or exceed the M820 for capability. If you really want to do a wrecker, do an HEMTT, that should just about make anyones day (particularly on here)...

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck sold two or so years back. It was sold somewhere in the mid-west. I believe it was either Oklahoma or Kansas.

eldgenb

is everyone forgetting that the 920 is a 20 ton rated truck??? not saying that the people on here do not have valid points but I see redneck tow truck setups on everyday 1 ton trucks and 5th wheel mounted wrecker systems that sell for $15k and no one says " oh your trucks not up to it!" something tells me that they do enough R&D to know that the trucks are capable of it without opening themselves up for liability. In my opinion the 920 is more than capable, while using the crane for a crane use the outriggers or it will fall on its side, even my 7 ton knuckle boom has no problem lifting the opposite side of the truck completely off the ground, when in wrecker mode use the A-frame so the weight is over the rear axles and I have no doubt that the truck designed to haul D8 dozers and equipment on and off road will be up to the task.

Jersey4x4

I just saw one of these going down the road on rt78 in PA when I was on my way to Cabelas. It was towing a FMTV. I was wondering what it was, all I really saw was the CCC on the grill as it past going the other way.

Here are the pictures that I promised.

wjruth

The M936 is child's play when it comes to actual wreckers. It is a multi purpose vehicle that can lift 10 tons when the boom is retracted. It can rotate 360 degrees but no load should be placed off the side unless the outriggers are used. A 1970's Holmes 750 can lift 25 tons. The latest types of wreckers the military uses are not rotating booms. The pusher axle is not needed for a 10 ton load. The 920 would be better suited to a 25 ton wrecker body with an underlift.

Jersey4x4

there was a military 15 ton under-lift unit in like new condition listed on eBay a few days ago and it locked into a 5 ton or 10 ton? fifth wheel. It said there were 2 pins one for each style truck I guess.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will bump this back from the grave.

Around the time the M915 series trucks including the M920s started production in 1979 the army was equipped with a 20 Ton wrecker. The M553 Goer. I am sure the Goer was used in Offroad recovery of the M915 series trucks that became stuck offroad if the more common 5 ton wrecker was not available. or they used the 5 ton wreckers to tow the M920s in after the Goer got them to the road since they were HORRIBLE on pavement. Then the Goer was phased out by the M984 which can handle any 915 series truck. Goer wreckers were not high in numbers but attached to transportation companies, but I am sure the M62s and M816s handled most of the duty.

As far as putting a wrecker body on a M920. The frame would not like it. I have twisted those frames and pulled on those trucks using things and even wreckers. They do not flex or bend quite like a 5 ton frame does. I put some 816s thru crap on lifting and they will flex over a good bit without the outriggers. i do not see the heavier 920 frame doing that.

Wrecker springs are alot more different than the springs on a M920 as well. 7 leafs and then an I beam. Nothing like a 920 pack or the 915 setup in the pic. Look at the 543 not even bow down with that setup.

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engineer in my is just itching to say ONE word....
L I A B I L I T Y ! ! !

WHATEVER you decide to do, you have better have plenty of ENGINEERING ANALYSIS backing up your decisions BEFORE a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE lands you in a COURTROOM.

The prosecution rests.

The jury will now adjourn to deliberate the penalties and punishment.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bruce the pics of that 920 are bad to the bone, even though the 920 looks a little beat up, but with that wrecker body on it goes straight to WAY COOL!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks