• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for solar panel and inverter opitons

you are correct. but, if you were going to be doing that for long you would need one 7734 of a solar system and inverter to run a saw. genset? :D
Agreed. You are going to need a generator for that application. Inverters are good for running little things for short periods of time.

top_prop

Honda Power Equipment - Honda Generators - Wattage estimation guide

according to above:

Circular Saw (Heavy Duty, 7 1/4 in.), 2300w start, 1400w steady state

1400watt * 1.10 (for inverter loss) = 1540watts from battery... 1540/12= 128 Amps...

Assuming you have a stock CUCV 12v alternator, it is rated for 100A.... leaving 28 amps drawing from one of your batteries even if you are running your truck... that battery will not last more than about 1.5 hrs even with the truck running (depends on the AH of your battery and its condition) ... and that will be **** on the battery...

If you had a 24V inverter, you could cut the amps in half in the example above... 64Amp draw over both alternators, so you could run your inverter and not discharge the trucks batteries... the wire would be smaller and the strain on the system would be less...

Or in other words If you run your saw one hour using a 12v inverter, you'd would need a 128 AH in batterys... two walmart biggie deep cycle batteries would work... and you would kill them, and have to recharge them... batterys don't like to be fully discharged in an hour and then fully recharged... its hard on them., so they wouldn't last long.

So either get a 24v inverter for the saw, and run everything else off 18V cordless tools, butane nail guns etc... or just buy a small 2300W genny for the cirsaw when working in remote areas?... thats what I did when I was a contractor. :)

top_prop

i have the 18 volt Dewalt circular saw that does almost everthing i need. it will cut treaded 4x4s.

I have the ryobi set with the lithium batteries... it did just fine on small remote jobs... if I needed more I hauled a genny and ran the bigger tools off it.

jdeoliveira74

I have a generator This is going to be more of a i have power all the time in the truck incase i need it. I just dont like carrying the gen every where i go. plus it smell like gas ! Thanks for all the info. I will build accordingly.
thanks
JOn

scrambled

I have a Powerbright 900 watt 24 volt to 110 inverter for my 1008. I just clip it to the batts when I need to run my 1/2" hammerdrill at work. I use it in tandem with my robodrill for projects. I am going to upgrade to the 3500 watt/7000 surge unit soon. I will probably mount it in my toolbox to keep it handy and safe.

jdeoliveira74

has anyone used the self adhesive solar roll roof type solar panels. look like a cool option maybe stick it to the hard top no glass so i dont have to worry about breaking it?

deuceaid

Banned
has anyone used the self adhesive solar roll roof type solar panels. look like a cool option maybe stick it to the hard top no glass so i dont have to worry about breaking it?
I want to do that too on my roof rack of my 4runner,,,,never did, and I would be a little concerned about putting things/tying gear down on top of it ( not saying that is what You would do,,,just one of my worries when the panel costs a few hundred bucks)

Also , the unisolar/ovonics panels wont be as efficient as other panels (maybe 9% to 14 % ) compared to others.

deuceaid

Banned
also, I got around to doing some calculations,,,,if You were going to run a skilsaw for hour a day you would need about 2.5 to 3.75 square meters of panels on top (rough estimate) thats with a few batteries getting charged......
a system with out batteries would need about 12 sq meters to run straight thru an inverter....something like 2250 watts worth of panels..

otherwise charge batteries , and use it less often.

just some thoughts2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks