• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so I think I want a tank

Stalwart

Yeah whatever Skippy.

Since you called me that male reproductive body part, does that mean you have penis envy?

Last edited:

Stalwart

I have 5 acres and no zoning crap to put up with. They're that heavy huh? Why is your rig so light?

Okay I'll have to look into the Spartan then, are they as available as these?
I want Armour, just don't want to spend 60K at this moment in time. LOVE YOUR ARMOUR BTW. That's just awesome. LOL getting pulled over on the road!
The Scorpion is about the same size as a HMMWV, so it's small. The REALLY thick aluminum armor helps a little bit but mainly because they didn't have to add internal bracing.

Spartans and all the other CVR(T)'s are pretty readily available. A nice bonus is that any in that series fit nicely inside a 20' container, a 432 is too wide and must come RORO.

plym49

The Scorpion is about the same size as a HMMWV, so it's small. The REALLY thick aluminum armor helps a little bit but mainly because they didn't have to add internal bracing.

Spartans and all the other CVR(T)'s are pretty readily available. A nice bonus is that any in that series fit nicely inside a 20' container, a 432 is too wide and must come RORO.
Which of those have the Jag XK engines? Talk about dependable and easy to maintain..................

Stalwart

Which of those have the Jag XK engines? Talk about dependable and easy to maintain..................
Pretty much all of them. A Diesel was offered much later during rebuild, they didn't have a 5000RPM Diesel when the vehicles were made. It is my understanding that the 4.2 Jaguar engine is BASED roughly on the civilian version but few if any parts actually interchange. aua

plym49

Pretty much all of them. A Diesel was offered much later during rebuild, they didn't have a 5000RPM Diesel when the vehicles were made. It is my understanding that the 4.2 Jaguar engine is BASED roughly on the civilian version but few if any parts actually interchange. aua
It would seem to me that while the inlet and exhaust systems are bespoke, that the architecture of the engine itself would be the same. I am not aware of any variants.

Stalwart

It would seem to me that while the inlet and exhaust systems are bespoke, that the architecture of the engine itself would be the same. I am not aware of any variants.
I've been told, by a VERY well read Brit. that the block isn't the same, nor are any of the moving components within it. It is a Military only engine that makes 195 hp as opposed to the 260 HP of the civilian engine. On the CVR(W) there is a rev-limiter but the CVR(T) came without them.

Last edited:

wehring

Tracks

I have for a long time had a soft spot for tracks. I have owned M29 Weasel, M116 Husky, XM474 Pershing Missile carrier and M47 Patton tank.

The XM474 is papered for road use and I take it out for a Saturday night steak often. I agree with Stuart... a mid-sized track is a good choice. Light enough for a gooseneck and F350 but big enough to crash through brush mount several beltfed guns on the side. The Weasel is too small and the M47 is too much drama to move around.

I live in TX and I had no problem getting TX plates for the track. I would love to have a Cummins powered CVR/T series. Perhaps the recovery model or 30mm model.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

Stalwart

I agree Justin, I've been thinking about a retrofit Diesel into the Scorpion. Gosh, I happen to have a low mile 5.9 sitting above the garage. A high rpm kit and it would be wonderful upgrade. The 4.2 works a bit too hard. Don't get me wrong they haul ass, but Diesels are designed to run near max power and rpm more reliably than gassers.

I had an M42 Duster, and althought I miss it dearly and want it back, moving is a total PIA! It was only mid size at 50,000 lbs and 10.5' wide. I'd HATE to think about the cost and hassles moving anything even bigger. 2cents

Attachments

Last edited:

plym49

I've been told, by a VERY well read Brit. that the block isn't the same, nor are any of the moving components within it. It is a Military only engine that makes 195 hp as opposed to the 260 HP of the civilian engine. On the CVR(W) there is a rev-limiter but the CVR(T) came without them.
Thanks for the info, I might just dig into that a bit more. I might be mistaken, but as a former Jag person, I had not heard of such a thing. I could well be mistaken; when I find out I will report back.

Varyag

The only info I can add here is that I was a tanker for 8 years and drove several different sizes and series of track over that time. I can tell you that if you want to use a medium to heavy track with any frequency, learn to love sore backs, bad knees and long hours. If we were not training we were changing parts or doing day long PMCS.

If an M1 isn't tearing the ground up, it is tearing you up. However, I still loved them and would jump at the chance to have even a small track again.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Track man

Varyag....not to step on the OP thread but I'm sure he'd ask the same thing......

Best experience?
Worst Experience?

Best gear you've been in?
Worst gear?

favorite to maintain?
Best ride?

If you could have a scaled down 'modern replica' of any track you know...what would it be?

Thanks for taking the lumps.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stalwart, have you had the Scorpion in the snow? I just got home in 1ft snow on my road with my M1009(thank the Lord I didn't have my mercury mystique) Was wondering in a situation where they don't plow the roads, how much snow could the tank get through? For that matter how much standing snow can the M35A3 get through? BTW thanks for all the good info on tanks. I'm going to get a tank like yours or most likely an APC in the future.

ScubaCat

Hard to maintain compared to what exactly? Compard to a Jeep? Then it's a nightmare, compared to other armor . . . not too bad at all. The British plug and weld the barrel but that will NOT pass muster by the ATF. As I understand it now you won't get the barrel into the US at all these days. I had to cut the breach and we cut a bore sized slot in the barrel but that was 10 years ago.

I've been 65 mph and it was still accelerating and it is a VERY smooth ride.

You can get any parts you want but it'll cost you, PLUS shipping from the UK. Based on the last set of tracks I bought, plus shipping, it costs me $12-15 per mile in track wear alone. Aside from grass, I don't use it off road.

As for size, I'm 6'2" and was still able to get into it and use it when I weighed 350+ lb. OK, it's much easier now that I weight 225.

Do the tracks stretch like a bike chain or wear out pins or can you just replace the rubber pads?

12BMatt

Greetings:
I have been looking at some of the post here and i am trying to look for specific information.
#1 I am in the process of purchasing an OT-64 from STV Group in Cezch Reb.
Q#1: has anyone from here bought anything from them before?
Q#2: How hard is it to get the proper paper work completed for the import into US?
(recommendations)
Q#3: How much $$$ does it cost?
Q#4: Is there a "check list" that anyone here is made to help others out in this process?
Q#5: Is there contacts that I could talk with and hopefully help in this process?

Of course any help will be very much appreciated.

THX
ME
:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks