• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so I think I want a tank

chaznlis

I agree Justin, I've been thinking about a retrofit Diesel into the Scorpion. Gosh, I happen to have a low mile 5.9 sitting above the garage. A high rpm kit and it would be wonderful upgrade. The 4.2 works a bit too hard. Don't get me wrong they haul ass, but Diesels are designed to run near max power and rpm more reliably than gassers.

I had an M42 Duster, and althought I miss it dearly and want it back, moving is a total PIA! It was only mid size at 50,000 lbs and 10.5' wide. I'd HATE to think about the cost and hassles moving anything even bigger. 2cents
Love the duster

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting! I am part of the ND Military Vehicle collectors group and I am also part of a big show coming up the end of this month at Rollag MN featuring lots of Military vehicles etc. and I found a fellow in MN That had a tank that he bought 10 or 15 years ago its a British Chieftain its Got a Leyland diesel engine in it and he was driving it up until 2 years ago and decided he was tired of it. Well its got rubber pads on the track and the fuel filters need to be put back on and it sounds like its would be running and driving at that point. Its been sitting outside for the last 2 years so the paint is somewhat faded but it appears complete and very close to running and driving. I have no idea on parts availability because I have never owned a tank, but with that said this fellow is a farmer OH and I thing the tank is a 1988 model year, I am thinking that this tank could be purchased for between 35k and 50K. It was sounding very tempting to me but I am married and prefer to stay that way. The other thing is I get the feeling that if someone doesnt buy this and preserve it its going to get cut up and sold for scrap! OUCH it hurts to even say that!
If you want more info I can put you in contact with the owner but you can email me at KKfargo@gmail.com

Interesting! I am part of the ND Military Vehicle collectors group and I am also part of a big show coming up the end of this month at Rollag MN featuring lots of Military vehicles etc. and I found a fellow in MN That had a tank that he bought 10 or 15 years ago its a British Chieftain its Got a Leyland diesel engine in it and he was driving it up until 2 years ago and decided he was tired of it. Well its got rubber pads on the track and the fuel filters need to be put back on and it sounds like its would be running and driving at that point. Its been sitting outside for the last 2 years so the paint is somewhat faded but it appears complete and very close to running and driving. I have no idea on parts availability because I have never owned a tank, but with that said this fellow is a farmer OH and I thing the tank is a 1988 model year, I am thinking that this tank could be purchased for between 35k and 50K. It was sounding very tempting to me but I am married and prefer to stay that way. The other thing is I get the feeling that if someone doesnt buy this and preserve it its going to get cut up and sold for scrap! OUCH it hurts to even say that!
If you want more info I can put you in contact with the owner but you can email me at KKfargo@gmail.com
Very unlikely to be a 1988 may have had a rebuild then but most are 60's hear it running and driving first they are hard to get bits for these stateside!

Bradym114

Sent you an email!

Bradym114

Very unlikely to be a 1988 may have had a rebuild then but most are 60's hear it running and driving first they are hard to get bits for these stateside!
So i ended up finding and buying it, its a Chieftain MK11 so not sure if it was a early one that the kept upgrading or a later one but the upgrades where done in the mid to late eighties. havent seen it in person yet. will know more when i go to get it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So i ended up finding and buying it, its a Chieftain MK11 so not sure if it was a early one that the kept upgrading or a later one but the upgrades where done in the mid to late eighties. havent seen it in person yet. will know more when i go to get it.
If there was a prize for the coolest and maybe heaviest purchase of the year, it's yours. Congratulations, that's exciting. There's a fella up North here that has some stick and supply time with them so you have company....and an audience. I can't wait for pictures so can only imagine what you're feelin'.

Bradym114

If there was a prize for the coolest and maybe heaviest purchase of the year, it's yours. Congratulations, that's exciting. There's a fella up North here that has some stick and supply time with them so you have company....and an audience. I can't wait for pictures so can only imagine what you're feelin'.
I have quite a bit of armor, I had an unrestored m47, but it only weighed 77k. luckily i have a 12-axle truck and trailer so moving it should be ok lol, as long as nothing breaks, or a tire blows. Going after it the first week of October. I was told it was setting only 2 years, but it looks like it's been sitting longer than that. I'm either going to haul a dozer up or wire a rotator to pull it on.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
an M41 and the M551 can be transported by an M52/M818 without issue .. good luck affording the fuel for the tanks and maintenance, tools, parts, etc .. Availability of everything will be an issue, thus perhaps you will want something foreign and much newer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks