• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are referring to me, I can't, I've sold everything that I've painted.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was skeptical. This thread and it’s hundreds of posts convinced me that it is ok, give it a shot. So I did, but, I also tried something else.

I had a sheet of 14 ga steel that was the side of my adventure trailer. It had not been cleaned or prepped in any way. (It must have been reasonably clean for this to work, but I did not prep it at all). After painting my trailer, I took a roller and painted a 2 sq ft area of the bare, unprimed, unprepped, uncleaned metal.

This stuff stuck like glue. Impressive adhesion. What if I would have cleaned it and sanded it lightly and primed it???

Im sold.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every holiday weekend it goes on sale. Memorial Day, Labor Day, Independence Day ... probably even Turkey day.

Technically its a mail in rebate, but money is money. $40 off a 5 gallon I believe.

Waterhouse

Ok, stupid question. I was looking at lots of pics in this thread. I saw a truck painted a shade of green that I like. Someone else asked what it was and the answer was "fed paint code". Is this the same as Bahr 24087?

shepherm

Ok, stupid question. I was looking at lots of pics in this thread. I saw a truck painted a shade of green that I like. Someone else asked what it was and the answer was "fed paint code". Is this the same as Bahr 24087?
You can go to HD or Lowes and they can look up the federal standard (listed as FSS sometimes) paint codes and mix it in any brand paint you want. I've never seen 24087, there's a 24097, but it might be out there.

Here is a list of codes and colors. https://www.milspeccoating.com/Federal-Standard-595-Colors-s/41.htm

I used FSS 34094, which is the green from the 383 paint jobs. From my experience, the best way to find the paint at HD is to ask the following. "Can you search for code 34094?" Once they do, it will show different paint vendors that use that code. One of those will be will be listed as federal standard. Tell them you want that one. It's very easy but they will try to make it complicated.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
“Federal Standard” is the category that they will go into on the computer, enter the paint code to mix the color. There is a list of federal standard paint codes on the first page.

Some guys, like me, make up our own colors. In that case, just ask the member for the code or paint number and paint sheen. Maybe he will share it with you. Sheen/finish; flat, matte, semi-gloss etc, makes a difference on what the color winds up looking like).

SturmTyger380

Last edited:

Waterhouse

So I went to HD and asked for the federal standard 24084 and 24087. He showed me a computer screen with the two colors. They both looked brown! I told him it was supposed to be green and he said they look differnt on screen. I have to buy a sample to see the color. Kind of sucks. Is that how you guys did it?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.

If it looks brown on the screen, it probably won’t look green in the can. But a sample is the easiest way to be sure.

VenomInjected

1967 Kaiser Jeep M-715 5/4 ton

Cummins 5.9, Ford ZF 5 Speed, Ford Married NP205 w/ original NP200 brake
Axles swapped out to more modern (4 wheel disc) Ford F350 Dana 60 Frt / Sterling 10.25 Rear

Behr Premium Plus Ultra Matte
USMC Forest Green #24052
Wagner Power Sprayer UNCUT (Very thick) - Almost a CARC like texture
aQb7vUT.jpg
MRf17dj.jpg
xcTaSIl.jpg
eLaJcrU.jpg
P9tzAvw.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those 80# tires on 16" rims? I just scored a set for my trailer that fits the Dexter axles.

The rest of it looks great too. Nice work.

VenomInjected

Are those 80# tires on 16" rims? I just scored a set for my trailer that fits the Dexter axles.
The rest of it looks great too. Nice work.
285/75R16

I also swapped my M101A2 tires to 285/75R16 (So now the wheels can be interchanged from 101A2 to M715 in case of a flat/problem) (Both are 16" rims... 8x6.5" BP)

P1fB8Tg.jpg

Yarz

So I went to HD and asked for the federal standard 24084 and 24087. He showed me a computer screen with the two colors. They both looked brown!
I'm not sure about 24084, but the 24087 I got (Not Behr, but the color should be similar no matter the paint) could definitely be considered brown, especially on a computer screen.. It might be worth buying the sample to see if it's right. Then you could test your painting process as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks