• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Waterhouse

Is there a reason you are disassembling the truck? I just masked off the mirrors and windows and anything I didn’t want paint on.
Do not scuff it up. The CARC is very rough and holds paint well. I’d just wash it with water, to remove dust, let it air dry, then paint the black. No problem with painting it months later.
There is a thread on how to get the paint mixed. The Federal Standard code and how to instruct Home Depot employees to find codes for all the military colors.
The truck is a semi-replica of a HEMTT that I'm building from aluminum. It has never been painted. I need to paint the back sides. There are also some parts that wil be hard to paint because they will behind something.

This is is probably a stupid question. Is the behr paint CARC? I thought that was super expensive millitary paint for chemical warfare.
Read the first post here. That will tell you how to get the paint mixed. It’s Green 383 that you want.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)
Thankyou for this! I read this whole thread and bypassed/forgot about it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I see. That will be interesting to see it!

I was assuming you were painting a truck that had had been sprayed with CARC first.

No, Behr isn’t CARC. So, you would be better off priming with an aluminum primer, then painting. I don’t see any need to scuff the surface to paint the black on, as it will stick to paint quite well.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the paint scheme I'm looking for without the brown. I'm thinking of painting the whole truck green first. Then come back later and do the black. Is that the way you guys would do it? If so, How soon after painting the green would I need to do the black? Would I mask the parts I want to stay green? I don't really see a sharp edge from black to green. Do they just freehand it? Have any of you guys got a link to a how to video?

View attachment 751025

There is a specific scheme for each vehicle, some are NATO standard.....

http://8tharmy.korea.army.mil/safety/Toolbox/resources/Publications/TB43-209.pdf

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there ARE standard patterns for the camo colors.
In fact, there is a TM that shows each truck model and it's graphic pattern for each side, front, back, and top views.

I'm short on time right now, but you can find it in the TM Forum of this SS Website.
The link, is right there..... You quoted it... Hahahahhaahaha

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a really cool project. Looks like you have come a good ways on it. Well done! Will you be posting a build thread? Or any details on the project?

You are already coloring outside the lines, so to speak, eliminating brown. You could probably just make up your own pattern now.

Waterhouse

That’s a really cool project. Looks like you have come a good ways on it. Well done! Will you be posting a build thread? Or any details on the project? .
Thankyou, I have a build thread here.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/2017234-amphibious-hemtt.html
Read the first post here. That will tell you how to get the paint mixed. It’s Green 383 that you want.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)
You might consider using satin finish on that. Since there is no rusted flaking CARC, I think satin would look really sharp! Also, make sure you use the military code for black. It has a subtle blue tint that looks really nice.
Just a thought!
I am thinking satin. When you say "military black", do you mean the "aircraft black" listed in the link you posted above.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking just black 37030. I like the blue tint it has. It’s subtle, but comes out more in satin than in flat.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lot of trouble navigating Pirate 4x4 on my phone. Can’t seem to get to page 1 and the pop-ups are more than annoying. The page keeps reloading and I can’t seem to get to the details. But, what I did see was really cool!

Hope you don’t mind a couple questions; What engine are you using? Tranny? How long did this take? It’s an impressive project for sure!

Waterhouse

I have a lot of trouble navigating Pirate 4x4 on my phone. Can’t seem to get to page 1 and the pop-ups are more than annoying. The page keeps reloading and I can’t seem to get to the details. But, what I did see was really cool!

Hope you don’t mind a couple questions; What engine are you using? Tranny? How long did this take? It’s an impressive project for sure!
I have the same thread here. Maybe it will work better.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/foru...builds-only/197652-molasses-project-92-a.html

Im using a Cummins 4BT with a manual body C6. The first page of the build thread is in 2011. I started about a year before that.

Waterhouse

So is it the general consensus that the HF hplv sprayer is adequate for doing a paint job with the Behr? How about doing the "free hand" camo?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, nice. Did you practice much before doing those trucks?

On a side note, what is "parsec"?
a parsec is a star wars unit of time. The Millenium Falcon completed the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

persec is personal security

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks