• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

wsucougarx

Ok guys, seems the Behr paint is really taking off on many projects. To date I've painted my '68 M35A2, '88 M109A3, MEP-006a w/ M200a1. I thought I'd start this thread so all of the Behr paint guys can show each other and other's our projects. I was a bit leary to use a "household" paint on my MV. At first it didn't seem right. I'm one of those purist MV operators that want to keep my trucks as military as possible. To put a civilian HOUSEHOLD paint on my truck seemed like a sin. However, when I saw the end product I was convinced this was the best paint for my projects. Rather than being a military paint it does afford the ability of a military look to the paint. Not only in color but in the texture and more importantly the flatness.

Why do I use Behr paint?
-Easily accessible (Home Depot)
-Very inexpensive (I pay $22/gallon w/military discount)
-Consistent color match with formula
-Ease of application (Wagner airless sprayer from Home Depot for me;-) )
-CARC-like flatness
-CARC-like texture, it'll take skin off your knuckles...no joke
-CARC like hardness, hammer drop test was successful
-Water based
-Easy clean up
-About the safest paint to use as far as toxicity

I've tried CARC subst Gillespie Paint from RAPCO and was not at all happy with the "flatness" of the paint. It seemed more like a satin finish rather than flat. Don't get me wrong I do like the Gillespie paint but would be more fitting for the gloss type finishes.

On my 109, I made the mistake of trying to go over the black with rattle cans on the van;-(

**** Here the sticky in the Paint and Bodywork forum ****
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?116608-Paint-Information-(Codes-and-Sources)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

KsM715

I'm more interested in seeing what these look like in a year or 2. They look great now and I was/am going to paint my vehicles with it if it doesnt fade really fast.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
First three of M890 #2 is all done in 3 color NATO Behr, Next three M890 #1 Merdc is green and black are Behr, field drab is walley world Spanish oak flat exterior, sand is Rapco rattle can. For KsM715 the field drab on #2 has been on for 5 years

Attachments

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally had time to paint the S280 today. It was a beautiful day here in PA.
The brown and black will have to wait until I can find the proper camo pattern for the shelter.
And yes, it is the Behr brand from Home Depot.

Thanks WSU for providing the color formula.

Here are the before and after pictures.
Karl

Attachments

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is Mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 CARC

Home Depot - Base = Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat, Matte Deep Base #4300

Colorant............. OZ... 384th

AX-Perm Yellow... 2....... 68
D-Thalo Green..... 1...... 16
KX-White............. 0...... 112
L-Raw Umber...... 8....... 80

The above formula is from a previous thread. It's the color that I purchased.
I used a inexpensive spray gun from Harbor Freight.
Karl

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's the stand for the gun that is $9.99.
The gun itself is on backorder for $15.99.
I just checked (8:30 pm Eastern).
Got them in the local store around Labor day and they were on sale, got the stand also.

The only problems I have had with house paint has been my fault in the prep. I have had small areas come loose and show the base color. I have kept small jars of the colors I have used. I re clean/prep the spot and use an artist brush to do the touch up.

The 211 was last winter 2nd year on paint, M885 truck 4 years and shelter 2 years

Here is Dan Martin & Alex Gordon (Idaho Motor Pool) formula for Desert Tan

Home Depot - Base = BEHR Ultra Flat Base Pastel Base (4855/2-4855)

Colorant............ OZ... 48... 96
C-Yellow Oxide... 5..... 17.... 0
E-Thalo Blue....... 0..... 43 ... 1
F-Red Oxide....... 0 ......16.... 0

__________________________________________________ ______

Here is Wayne/pinz25086 formula for Desert Tan

Lowes - Base = Valspar Exterior Flat Finish - Flat Base 4

101 - 7.5
104 - 5.5
107 - 29.5
113 - 2Y7

Attachments

Last edited:

DoctorCheney223

Here are four of the trucks we painted this week. These were all painted using Behr Paint from Home Depot. I still have one M35A2 and a M109A3 to finish. These trucks will soon be seen cruising up and down the Las Vegas Strip :razz:

thanks,
Ron

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks