• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

Gunfreak25

If you have access to the real thing, by all means go with it. But It's really up to you, durability wise and appearance wise they will both wear the same. You can always touch up CARC with BEHR too, and you will not be able to tell the difference. As the original OP said, depending on the texture you gun sprays cured BEHR will still rub your knuckles raw and eat sandpaper for breakfast. The guys at Idaho Motor Pool and I would suspect other MV outfits are using BEHR on all their trucks now. And I even "heard" it somewhere that the new waterborne CARC is nothing more than an exterior grade "house paint" with a fancier label and heavier price tag. Sealing wise, the BEHR seals metal beautifully and will protect against rust.

topgun217

I guess what it is going to boil down to is PRICE. All of the trucks viewed here look great. THe weather here in Ohio is also gonna play a factor into the equasation also. We are already having temps in the 30 and 40's at night, so so for cure time I might have to wait until spring. Thanks for the advise

Gunfreak25

Behr can be applied at 35 degrees and above, and it must remain at 35 degrees for 4 hours after applying it. I'd say your good to go, if you started spraying before noon and finished within a couple hours.

Loco_Hosa

Question for you Behr paint job rockers.

How has the paint held up to temperatures/fuels/oils?

The engine in my truck seems to be painted in CARC, would the Behr paint be able to be used in this application, or would the heat destroy it?

I would expect problems with the Behr on the fuel tank also....

wsucougarx

Question for you Behr paint job rockers.

How has the paint held up to temperatures/fuels/oils?

The engine in my truck seems to be painted in CARC, would the Behr paint be able to be used in this application, or would the heat destroy it?

I would expect problems with the Behr on the fuel tank also....
Hey loco. The paint is untouched with fuels and temps thus far. Ive put about 200 miles on my truck since painting. I painted the engine and exhaust stack. No peeling or cracking paint. I've noticed NO breakdown of the paint. It is outstanding paint.

Last edited:

lavarok

Great thread. I have several trucks I need to paint and have been procrastinating.
Once this next tropical wave passes though, there should be several days if not weeks of dryer weather. Using a water based paint sounds like the way to go as I hate cleaning up after using oil based paint. [thumbzup]

Heath_h49008

Awesome thread guys... officially subscribed.

I was going to use John Deere "Blitz Black" as my base for a durable, metal friendly, cost effective flat paint. But I'm thinking Behr is a better choice after reading your success stories.

I think the base of Battleship Grey will be easier to have mixed as well...

Gunfreak25

Yes, it holds up very well to diesel fuel, oil and heat. It will stain like too, to watch where you put your grease rags and your dirty little paws.

mr.travo

I am going to be using this too once I am ready! The more I read about it, the more I am liking it. Is it best to use a regular car spray rig? I have never painted a truck..... yet. I am just trying to make a list of things I will need to buy/borrow.

wilfreeman

OK, so did anybody use a regular paint gun instead of an airless sprayer? I saw a couple of people asking about it, but no responses. I have regular spray guns and no airless sprayer, but would like to get the Carc texture right on my trailers. On one previous post someone said that it might boil down to price. The last 2 gallons of 24087 I ordered were like $70 for the 1st gallon (the reason I went ahead and ordered 2) after Hazmat fees and shipping - the Behr definately has that whipped! I'll have to take a sample of my Gillespie 24087 to match

roady

I used a Graco Magnum sprayer from Lowes and really like it so far. i did have to buy a different tip for it so that the spray pattern was a little smaller.

I did try a HVLP gun from Tractor Supply and I really had to thin a lot to get it to spray right. I was thinning it more than the recommended amount and wasnt to comfortable about that.

So far though I am a big fan of the Latex paint and clean up....

wilfreeman

Oh yeah, I love latex too -never would have thought about putting it on a vehicle though. I guess an airless would be a cheap enough investment - might need to paint something at the house with it too.

Scrounge41

I'm so skeptical of Behr paints from the get go because I've had bad results from their paint several times in the past. It never seems to cover well at all. I've got an airless rig, two dedicated HVLP rigs and a conventional set up as well and have shot latex, oil, lacquer, automotive urethane enamels, etc. With all these endorsements I'm gonna have to give it a try, but I'm gonna paint the frame of a tandem axle trailer that I don't care about to gauge whether or not I am a fan.

wilfreeman

So, was the texture like Carc or smoother? How thin did you have to make it in order for it to spray? I also have 2 of those same guns - I put a 20 oz aluminum cup on one and use it for better results (I keep this one alot cleaner). I have a couple of siphon guns too - one that I use for primer (and can probably use for this paint without much thinning), and one I used to use for finer finishes. I'd like to spray it as thick as possible = less coats. In one of these posts someone mentioned spraying 3 coats for good coverage, but don't remember what he sprayed it with.

Gunfreak25

I used one of those harbor freight airless electric sprayers today, it's a cheap version of a Wagner. I had to thin the BEHR the recommended amount on the can for it to spray well. It used up a whole gallon in about 1 1/2 hours, although the adjusting knob on the back hardly works to "adjust atomization" I am happy with how the finish came out. I can take pictures tomorrow in the daylight. It reminds me of the spray on rubber undercoating you can get in a can, it does not go on smooth. I think it looks good, and it hides almost any surface imperfection such as chips and sanding marks. The BEHR paints do go on thin, you must use 2 or 3 coats to fully seal things. The best part is it's all water base, I cannot imagine what a pain in the butt it is cleaning everything with MS after your finished for the day. I got some paint overspray in my hair and it washed right out tonight.

Gunfreak25

Some pics of the texture. Hides about 60% of all surface flaws such as small chips, dents, sanding marks and brush strokes. I would have killed myself trying to get that nice of a finish with the Aervoe semi gloss. I expect to use 3 more gallons to finish the truck, from top to bottom and bumper to bumper, inside and outside. I expect it to start taking on a flatter look in the weeks to come, it's less than 24 hours old.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks