• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a really sexy buffalo. I want one. Those never get out around here, the fire fighters snatch them all up.

Merc1973

I have a professional style huge airless sprayer from Harbor Freight. Used it to paint my fence and seal the kids playset. I love it, but clean-up is not fun. Will it work ok for painting my M35 or should I just buy a cheap handheld electric unit?

Another Ahab

I have a professional style huge airless sprayer from Harbor Freight. Used it to paint my fence and seal the kids playset. I love it, but clean-up is not fun. Will it work ok for painting my M35 or should I just buy a cheap handheld electric unit?
The paint doesn't "know" what it's going to land on:

- If that sprayer did a good job for you somewhere else, and any prep needed for your paint is correct, then it should also do a fine job for you on your rig.

You don't need a Paint-A-Truck-Only-Sprayer, though there are companies who love that kind of business model.

m715mike

I just did my first camo paint job. I painted it all green, then went with Rapco Can brown and then with Rapco can flat black. I used Rapco because of the nozzle. View attachment 664967View attachment 664968You will need to do a couple coats. In the past Behr has held up very well, this is the first time I have added Rapco over it

You did an excellent job. That came out looking great!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was all done by hand with a brush. Frame and underneath was done with a Lowes Latex Air sprayer. Oh and SORRY the previous pictures were from a year ago around the 2 year mark! These are from today! For those who don't know this is the MASSTERS pattern from 1974, just the way I painted my units trucks back then while station in Germany with the 122nd Maint BN. Fun times then, Fun time now! ;)
20170409_155902.jpg20170409_155920.jpg20170409_155930.jpg

WECSOG

Behr on my M101A2 The first pic is when I picked it up in Yermo Ca. The others was after It was repainted Same color using the US paint codes to match. The stuff once hard is really tough. I have hauled literally tons of sand and gravel unloading it with a shovel, only minor scratches on the bed ridges.

Another Ahab

Behr on my M101A2 The first pic is when I picked it up in Yermo Ca. The others was after It was repainted Same color using the US paint codes to match. The stuff once hard is really tough. I have hauled literally tons of sand and gravel unloading it with a shovel, only minor scratches on the bed ridges.
Hey, I see you're in Prescott.

I had a cousin went to the college there. Is that school still around, do you know?

hplacess

Just an fyi if anyone has issues at Home Depot in 2017.

I went to Home Depot today for Desert Tan 686 FSS 33446.

I explained to the paint person about looking up 'competitor' and choosing 'Federal Standard'. But they did not have that option. They said the search capability in their system now allows them to search anything, so I gave them the 5 number code 33446, they searched on it, and it came right up as Federal Standard FSS 33446. The paint person gave me an extra 'top of can' sticker to take with me for next time. I got a gallon and walked out happy.

20170429_204539.jpg

I will post pics once I paint some areas of my m101a2 trailer.

Last edited:

hplacess

so, I painted the front of my m101a2 with the behr after lightly sanding with general purpose scuff pad. just to see what it would be like since the front of the trailer was showing its age.

pics were taken within 30 minutes of each other.

before:

before.jpg

after:

after.jpg

bottom line: I LOVE THIS PAINT!

After working with it, I would not consider it 'exterior house paint' (like old school house paint from decades ago), but more of a 'general purpose exterior paint' (which is what they say on the can).

I used a low nap roller on the large areas, and a small paint brush around areas like the tie hooks.

the paint goes on very nice.

very good coverage - doubt if I would need two coats. I put on a 'medium' coat of paint - not thin; not thick.

it dried at a nice pace. at around 70f with 65% humidity it dried to the touch in about 20 minutes or so.

it levels itself very nicely. any slight roller marks or brush marks are gone - that could have been helped due to the good temperature, and that I painted in the shade.

easy cleanup.

no toxic fumes.

I like the idea of being able to touch up if needed.

If in doubt,
try it out.

:-D

Last edited:

hplacess

here are some other pics to show a color and coverage comparison in the same pic.

back:

the tailgate is the original paint - really faded, and that is not surprising. it looks old and tired, but in good shape.

the area under the tailgate is the behr applied today. it looks fresh with a deep color. I did not do the taillights yet.

back.jpg

corner:

the following pic is showing the front which was painted compared to the side not painted. also shows how nice the front came out.

croner.jpg

also, as far as a color match goes, the FSS paint code at home depot is good to go. the behr FSS color matched a section of the front of the trailer (in the before pic on the right side under the 'drmo' scribbled there - post 675 of this thread) that had a label on it that I peeled off before I painted. I previously posted this 'can top', but put it here for ease of finding it should someone be interested.

20170429_204539.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, Home Depot has paint sales every 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Labor Day. $10 off 1 gallon, $40 off 5 gallon. Mail in rebate, but, hey, it's something!

Headed there now to get the paint for the camo truck! I did one truck solid green and it was awesome. I sprayed it and the coat came out very nice.

Attachments

Lawdog734

I finished painting the doors (Behr Ultra-Premium) on the GMV this weekend, then used my wife's vinyl printer/cutter to put all the applicable markings on the truck. I purposely used a different font (a stencil cut) for the unit markings, as if they were added after delivery. I marked the truck up as an A Company, 1st Bat, 5th SFG truck as I have a close friend who is retiring this year and was with ODA 511 during both the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq, where they used GMV's extensively. Overall, I'm very pleased with the results.

20170528_192005_zpsgyg5wrns.jpg

20170528_192032_zps9rfsnzvy.jpg

20170527_152734_zpsgtzpxyqo.jpg

20170527_152746_zpswc1yvo0u.jpg

20170527_152807_zpsozd53ygb.jpg

Last edited:

Lawdog734

Nice job! Did you fab the front and rear? ....looks heavy.
The rear shelf and toolbox are aluminum, so don't weigh that much - I installed them myself without anything special to prop anything up. The shelf was fab'd, but not by me. They were done up by contractors at Letterkenny Arsenal. The tool box is a pretty standard box for the military.

The front bumper is steel and from Mil Systems Group (MSG) and are what replaced the aluminum Ibis Tek bumpers. It's a beast - I've heard it weighs about 250#, but I don't know if it weighs that much as I could move it around by myself.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks