• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

USMC 00-08

I noticed that some of you are putting stars, hood numbers, etc., over the Behr paint. What stencils are you using?

I am using Behr Premium Plus Ultra semi-gloss on my M135 and was looking at paint mask stencils. Has anyone had any issues getting these to stick in place? I thought I read somewhere that someone was having issues, but I can't find where I read it.

Here is all I have done so far.

20170820_110704.jpg20170820_145511.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of primer are you using with the Behr?
i have done it primed with rustoleum and just on bare metal, cleaned and prepped.

If i I understand correctly, the Behr has a primer in it.

So far, I can not tell any difference between the primed and unprimed. Id probably prime it if it were a large area, but, I certainly don't fret it on smaller areas. The stuff sticks as long as the metal is free of oil or grease.

McMacy

Just finished reading the whole thread.

Three or four days ago I asked on another site how to get military colors from a home improvement store. One guy suggested coming to this site since you guys paint MV’s. He and another guy thought Sherwin Williams carried military colored paint.

Last weekend me and my wife painted the conex on our property. The previous owner had left two gallons of Behr Premium Plus Ultra in a Behr brand of a Sand color in flat. They were mixed on September 1, 2009! We closed on the place in April of this year. The trailer had a furnace issue last winter, so my guess is that the paint froze some. It doesn’t have air conditioning so we think it got very hot, too. I mixed the paint with an electric drill and it went on perfect. It even took a rain that night and had minimal issues. So, finding this thread sealed the deal for us on Behr paint from HD.

We have a house trailer that we are using as a cabin in the woods. I want it to be camouflaged, because I like camo and to help keep it hidden in the woods. Looking around the innerwebz and here, I saw several camo designs that I like and want to try to duplicate using Behr paint.

We are not artistic people. So we have some questions. Are the examples below done freehand, stencils, or masking? We'd like to do a US Winter verdant on the trailer. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Here is an example of the type of camo we would like.

M48-M60MERDCWinter.jpgverdant.jpgWinter US Verdant.jpg

These are examples of the camo paint on MV's that we'd like to try to do.

Forgot to share the Behr Gama Goat project in this thread

OK, 3 years and counting! Just a little touching up here and there and she's still going strong!
View attachment 674704View attachment 674703View attachment 674705

This was all done by hand with a brush. Frame and underneath was done with a Lowes Latex Air sprayer. Oh and SORRY the previous pictures were from a year ago around the 2 year mark! These are from today! For those who don't know this is the MASSTERS pattern from 1974, just the way I painted my units trucks back then while station in Germany with the 122nd Maint BN. Fun times then, Fun time now! :wink:
View attachment 674706View attachment 674707View attachment 674708

Last edited:

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"We are not artistic people. So we have some questions. Are the examples below done freehand, stencils, or masking? We'd like to do a US Winter verdant on the trailer. Any help or tips would be appreciated."

With a vehicle its easier to do them freehand first you chalk the outline, then with paint you say" ok this line starts 3" to the right of this item and curves this way then that way about here and the back that way about here!" It was done based on the "chalkers" best guess. When done by the factory it's all done with a computer!

For what you plan on painting it will be just a swag! Bess guess! Put several vehicles side my side and hand ones will always be slightly different, factory jobs are more of a perfect match!

Last edited:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well thank you. I get many compliments on the color. It is a slightly darker WWII Panzer color. We came up with it for my buddies 712M Pinzgauer and liked it so much I painted my M101A2 trailer with it and then when I got my HMMWV I went the same route. Have been very very happy with the performance of the paint and my truck and trailer are stored outside in the weather. Below is a snapshot of the mix.

Regards,

Mark

20171014_071227.jpg

imgcache0.933681.jpg20170528_135651.jpg

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started painting my 923A2 and I got tired of using an HVLP spray gun and waiting for my compressor to catch up after long spray sessions. I notice a difference in the spray pattern with different pressures. Probably me getting impatient and wanting to finish a section when the air is low, you can see some very slightly larger droplets of paint effecting the way the finish looks.

So I ordered a Graco Magnum X5 airless rig. They are great. They will spray the same, all day long with no waiting on my (overdue for replacement) compressor to catch up. I cant justify over a grand to sink into the compressor I want, with Christmas coming up, so, I went with this.
DE65C6A4-ACDD-4194-B099-87E1F56E5887.jpg

I have many, many other jobs for it, so the $200 Amazonian Warehouse deal I found was worth the money. Airless rigs rock for stuff like this.

The one thing to watch out for is to make sure you clean them really well since they have paint running internally. I clean my paint sprayers really well, even run oil base through them, it just costs more to clean. I also run the “Pump Armor” into it for storage.

The last one I had was an X7 that I let someone borrow. He didn’t take care of it. So now I’m getting a new one.

The bottom line is they can be a bit more expensive to run, and take more care. But it’s worth it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. I think the black accents really make those trucks look great.

Ironically, that is what is on my list this week. Paint the tan truck! Now, whether I get to it or not is another matter.

Warren Lovell

I have done both types of paint jobs. Behr is easier all around to spray with an airless sprayer. The results are extremely CARC like. Spraying vehicles with urethane - You need different guns...primer gun, paint gun and/or tips. My SATA guns are top of the line HVLP and are expensive. Then you add in the cost of materials...paint, reducer, hardener for top coat. Then the etching primer if taken to bare metal...primer and activator; primer surfacer - primer, reducer, hardener, and the prep to to that type of job, and the skill to use a professional hvlp gun.
Touch-up is also way easier. Please remember these are mil vehicles. Over restoring looks...over restored. I saw a bunch of trucks that were recently repainted at the military base...20 footers with overspray everywhere. Look at a WW2 video of the men spraying jeeps. They sprayed everything. Just my 2 cents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks