• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr Paint Jobs- Show me your MV's

plym49

I have read all of this and never even holding a paint sprayer before, I'm overwhelmed. Some questions please. I have a M923A1 I would like to paint it with a Marine paint scheme. Where do I find patterns to go by. I see everyone keeps talking about 24087 is that a single color and then how do I find the other colors and codes. I want to paint the bottom of the bed and wheel wells with herculiner, then the rest of the truck in full Marine design.
I also have a friend from racing who is around the Charlotte area and does sand blasting. I had my chassis blasted and he does a great job. If interested let me know. All help on the paint will be helpful. Just explain like I know nothing, because I don't. Thank you Mark
I suggest plain old undercoating under your fenders and bed. It is removable if you need to work on it, and it can be touched up. It is also quite flexible, which is probably a good thing in areas that can get hit by pebbles as you motor along.

Loco_Hosa

I suggest plain old undercoating under your fenders and bed. It is removable if you need to work on it, and it can be touched up. It is also quite flexible, which is probably a good thing in areas that can get hit by pebbles as you motor along.
How do you mean removable?

I had also been thinking of Herculiner for the underside of my truck, so I am very curious :)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This sorta has to do with MV's, I went down to Artillerydan shop in Phoenix to pick up some M130B1's and parts I had bought from him last weekend. His shop is in a industrial park and around the corner from him I saw this being painted. It is a flat building no towers,curves just flat. They were using Behr paint.

Attachments

plym49

How do you mean removable?

I had also been thinking of Herculiner for the underside of my truck, so I am very curious :)
As Yolner already commented, you can remove it by scraping, with a little heat from a hot air gun and a putty knife, with solvent, or even just muscle the fasteners off past it. Herc and the other bed coatings don't play nice like that. POU (plain 'ol undercoating) is also a lot less expensive, easier to install and not picky about surface prep. Lastly, POU is soft and withstands a hit by a rock. Bedliner is not really designed for that type of impact, so perhaps it will chip over time.

Loco_Hosa

As Yolner already commented, you can remove it by scraping, with a little heat from a hot air gun and a putty knife, with solvent, or even just muscle the fasteners off past it. Herc and the other bed coatings don't play nice like that. POU (plain 'ol undercoating) is also a lot less expensive, easier to install and not picky about surface prep. Lastly, POU is soft and withstands a hit by a rock. Bedliner is not really designed for that type of impact, so perhaps it will chip over time.
Most of your post makes lots of sense, but there were 2 places that are not constant with my personal Herc experience.

When I built a jeep bumper and Herced it, that stuff didnt give a crap about surface prep, it stuck VERY well, and I have a difficult time picturing it chipping.

That being said, I have not ever used POU for anything, and cheap is good! I will have to research this more online before I decide one way or the other. Not saying your post is wrong, because what do I know? I just wanted to share my experiences. :)

plym49

Most of your post makes lots of sense, but there were 2 places that are not constant with my personal Herc experience.

When I built a jeep bumper and Herced it, that stuff didnt give a crap about surface prep, it stuck VERY well, and I have a difficult time picturing it chipping.

That being said, I have not ever used POU for anything, and cheap is good! I will have to research this more online before I decide one way or the other. Not saying your post is wrong, because what do I know? I just wanted to share my experiences. :)
That's good to know about Herc. Of course, it can only hold on for as good as whatever it is applied on top of. If the underneath paint flakes off, the Herc will come with it. That's the beauty of POU, just spray on a bit more and it patches perfectly. Plus, because it remains pliable, it kind of bridges what it needs to bridge.

Try a spray can of POU. You will be impressed with the price/performance and ease. If it does not toot your whistle, it is easy enough to remove.

You can also get 4 quarts with a purpose-built sprayer. Really inexpensive and makes it even less expensive to cover large areas. HF and others sell it.

mudman

here is mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 carc

home depot - base = behr premium plus exterior flat, matte deep base #4300

colorant............. Oz... 384th
ax-perm yellow... 2....... 68
d-thalo green..... 1...... 16
kx-white............. 0...... 112
l-raw umber...... 8....... 80

the above formula is from a previous thread. It's the color that i purchased.
I used a inexpensive spray gun from harbor freight.
Karl
going to try this on a tool box thie weekend!!!

Seth_O

Thanks to all the folks on here that are the risk takers. I bought the OD green Behr from HD last week so I could refinish my bows and put on my new-to-me cargo cover. The paint so far has worked GREAT. Took a bit of tinkering to get the thinning correct, but then it sprayed pretty well through my cheap-o HF spray gun (using the compressor on the truck) and looks smooth and clean. It's got me excited to repaint the truck, hopefully sometime this year...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The wind quit blowing but then we had rain for a week. It stopped yesterday,so today after the dew dried up. I went down to the barn to paint the M146, I pulled the data plates and reflectors yesterday. Still have the undercarriage and wheels, used a Wagner airless, never again it would be spraying fine than would spit a wad and paint would run. Used 2 gallons of the Nam 24087 #91 (permalink) Now I have to get the big stars and numbers put on.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MWMULES, that trailer looks GREAT! Very nice finish, I'm sure the photos don't do it justice. Nice work!

bshupe

I spent a bunch of time in HD today getting a color that I like for my CUCV. I have a bad door that I will be replacing at some point so Im going to be doing my test colors there. Im very encouraged by everything in this thread so far other than the occasional report of paint guns splatting clumps now and again.

Im looking forward to getting the rust off and a fresh paint job on my truck!

Well about 10 days ago I sprayed my Jeep Wrangler with the CARC substitute Behr paint. I used floetrol to help spray it and used a HVLP gun. It came out great. It had about 2 days outside to dry then moved it the garage for 2 days due to rain. Then moved it back out for about another 4 days of decent no rain weather. Well on day 9 or 10 it rained for about an hr and now that everything is dry I have these ugly run marks on just the vertical surfaces. It isn't runs like sags as if the paint was sprayed to heavy or thinned from the rain and ran. It is more like what a vehicle looks like that doesn't have a good wax job and you let air dry after washing it and it shows where the water dried on the sides in long runs.

Anyone have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of it without repainting or is that it? How do I keep this from happening again?

plym49

Well about 10 days ago I sprayed my Jeep Wrangler with the CARC substitute Behr paint. I used floetrol to help spray it and used a HVLP gun. It came out great. It had about 2 days outside to dry then moved it the garage for 2 days due to rain. Then moved it back out for about another 4 days of decent no rain weather. Well on day 9 or 10 it rained for about an hr and now that everything is dry I have these ugly run marks on just the vertical surfaces. It isn't runs like sags as if the paint was sprayed to heavy or thinned from the rain and ran. It is more like what a vehicle looks like that doesn't have a good wax job and you let air dry after washing it and it shows where the water dried on the sides in long runs.

Anyone have this problem? Is there a way to get rid of it without repainting or is that it? How do I keep this from happening again?
Maybe you can scuff them off with a worn 3M pad or something. Maybe they will scrub off with Pre-Kleano or a strong soap. Maybe you can dust over them with a very thin, light topcoat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks