• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on MEP-831A

I think you di ok at 500. I paid about 1k for one in like new condition with maybe 40 hours on it. Its an awesome little set, puts out enough power for us in a pinch. I would happily pay the same price again for another unit in the same condition if I needed another one.

Cord

Well, I picked up the generator yesterday. Got it home and popped the cover off. Things are worse, but better than I had hoped. I don't know why, but for some reason they were trying to take the cylinder head off. The fuel line to the injector was disconnected and they had cut the return fuel line. There was also a 18" length of 3/8" fuel line laying inside the enclosure, but I don't what it would have come from. The mechanic had also taken the exhaust manifold flange bolts off, took the valve cover off and took two of the cylinder head nuts off. Sadly, the monkey they had working on the unit didn't try to take the two bolts supporting the muffler off and instead tried to pry the muffler off the studs. I'm pretty sure he bent the muffler flange in the process. He also tried to pry the intake manifold off, but only removed one of the mounting bolts. Ended bending the flange to the point the intake cracked. I can see rub marks where he had tried to pry the cylinder head off, but it wasn't coming because the muffler hadn't been removed. I don't know who was working on the engine, but he was a total idiot. We're talking about Jeremy Clarkson level of mechanical skills.

When I pulled the cord the engine felt very smooth, but clearly wasn't building compression. I removed the muffler (which requires the starter to be removed) and pulled the cylinder head off. Piston looks perfect and the cross hatch is very bright and clean. Honestly, I can't see anything wrong in the cylinder. There was a small piece of exhaust manifold gasket stuck in the exhaust valve, so I'm hoping that was enough to keep the engine from building compression.

At the moment I don't see any reason why the engine wouldn't have run. Of course, I don't have any of the parts the doufus had removed. I'll try Green Mountain generator this morning to see what used parts they'll sell me and then talk to my local dealer for the remaining parts. I've ordered Yanmar parts in the past for my compactor and they're not terribly expensive. All told, I'll probably have less than $100 in missing parts.

Sadly, from the other photos, I have a hunch that all of these gen sets were sold because they didn't work. The best case scenario would be for you to get a unit where they got into the engine like mine and then gave up after a half hearted attempt to fix it. If there was something wrong with the electrical side of things, I don't know if it could be fixed.

Attachments

Last edited:

R Racing

Keep us posted. I noticed the 1 I got with the damaged front panel has its terminal strip covers removed :-( I guess I'll know better when I pick them up.

Cord

Ok, can anybody suggest a source for parts? It appears the focus is on the older generators that have been on the market and there just isn't much demand for the 831.

Cord

Can you post a link to the listing for your unit?

I think I figured out an option for a 24 volt battery that'll cost around $100. Once I have something definitive, I'll post it for others.

R Racing

Can you post a link to the listing for your unit?

I think I figured out an option for a 24 volt battery that'll cost around $100. Once I have something definitive, I'll post it for others.
Against the rules !! Can't post links to auctions before there over !:rules:

Cord

Huh? The only three units on GL havn't started so he has to be talking about the units we bid on. Unless I'm mistaken, those auctions are over.

R Racing

It may be listed as something else. But the rules state we can't discuss auctions before or during. Includes e bay GL . GP or even Craigslist. Just giving you the heads up.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, looks like I won the one I was bidding on. With some luck I should have something to tinker on soon.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

Its my first GL purchase. I'm a bit nervous and hopeful I can get it working. Wish me luck. I'll share the fun with everyone as I go.

cdre

I won 7 from the auction in Albany. Picked them up on Friday and drove back to VA with them. I was pretty picky on which ones I bid so I think I'm in good shape. Had just a little time this weekend to tinker with them and started 3 of the 7 with the pull cord. Didn't fill the tanks, just ran diesel from an upside-down water bottle old school IV style. All three started within 5 pulls. Hopefully I'll get a chance to mess with the other 4 this weekend. Only missing part that I've noticed so far are 2 fuel tank caps and one fuel filter bowl. Likely going to keep 3 and sell 4 once I have all of them running and load tested. For batteries, I picked up 2 motorcycle batteries that will fit side by side in the same spot. Run them in series and it should work. Cost around $50 each (+core) but with Advance Auto Parts coupons, much less. Have to fill them with acid and charge first though - hence the pull cord.

R Racing

Wow 7 !! I'm sure we bid against each other LOL My 2 are still down south in Ga . Welcome to SS !! By the way Site rules say you need a town and state under your location .:rules:

Cord

Well, my engine parts are on order. Nothing is in stock, so it'll be a week or two. Even with a long list, the parts only came to $127, so I'm very happy with that. Did fill the engine with oil last week and now the enclosure has a bunch of oil in it. My wife noticed that the oil filter tab has some chew marks on it. I think that whomever was trying to "fix" this unit tried to pull the oil filter out with a pliers an now it's distorted and won't seal. Got a little work done on the battery swap and the YTX20L-BS is the right choice. Once I get the tie down figured out I'll post a thread with all the parts and steps that I took.

Installed a 4x4 junction box and 20a 220v twist lock outlet to the left of the terminal box. Found the cord plug doesn't clear the "universal" outlet cover so I tore everything apart. This time I went with a 220v outlet and a duplex outlet. Got everything installed and connected up. Was feeling really good about the install when I went to close the terminal cover. DOH! The latch doesn't clear the quad box! If you decide to install a outlet box on this unit it will need to be a single gang box mounted vertically or you'll have to install the box to the right of the terminals.

What's up with the self proclaimed cops on this site?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks