• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel treatment for ethonol gas

6x6junkie

hello what type of ethanol reducer or eliminator are you guys using for the m151s. i hear the new fuel is just tearing up carbs thanks

Heath_h49008

It's the water the alcohol attracts, as well as the reaction it has to some coatings and seals that's causing issues. Boat engines are getting it the worst.

Sadly, I don't have much to offer by way of neutralizing/filtering the Alcohol and still saving the gas.

Try to keep the tank brimming full, and keep it sealed from air/moisture as best you can.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ethanol can totally separate in about 17 days. Full tanks or storage of gasoline, is actually not a good idea any longer.

What we really need, is fuel that is not regulated to the point of uselessness.

If the Government really wanted to see mileage increases, they would eliminate the ethanol completely.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all, re: ethanol in gasoline:

It was tearing the guts out of our M274 mules, and 2-cycle tools like chainsaws and blowers, etc. We found a website that lists stations in the US and Canada, by state and province, that sell non-ethanol fuel. We are in NC and there are several within 25 miles of us, so we make a special effort to get the ethanol-free, preferably in the 93 octane. In a pinch, we can wash the ethanol out of the fuel: get a large clear container, put in about a 1 gal water to 5 gal gas ratio, shake the daylights out of it, and let the phases separate out. Then drain off the heavier water/ethanol layer (or siphon off the lighter gasoline phase). We also add some Sta-bil to our vehicles when we have to run the ethanol-ized version.

The ironic thing about ethanol in gas is that it requires at least 1.1-1.5 gallons of fossil fuel to produce a single gallon of ethanol. And then the stuff is bad for anything but brand new vehicles made to run on the mixture. What a mess!!aua

6x6junkie

yea it just really pisses you off . i was researching the k 100 but says noything about ethanol dont you want to neturalize that stuff or did i miss somthing in my reading

Rustsleeps

:ditto:It does cost more, but you can find gas stations that sell "non-oxigenated" gas. Some even claim "ethanol free" or "100% gasoline". I ain't too bright and thought gas was safe to use in engines. After the third small engine would not run without 1/2 to full choke and I had to buy carb kits I finally figured the higher priced gas was less expensive.:sad:

Here is the link : Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

armytruck63

We found a website that lists stations in the US and Canada, by state and province, that sell non-ethanol fuel.

Can you provide a link to this web-site?

I never used to care, but now that a couple of my MV's are gas powered, I do.

I don't like the idea of running my vehicles on corn syrup, and for the same reason I will buy Pepsi "Throwback" if I want a cola.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i was researching the k 100 but says noything about ethanol
E10 is ethanol fuel with 10% ethanol.

K100-G eliminates water in the fuel to prevent winter freeze-ups and phase separation in E-10,

6x6junkie

hey doghead thanks now i understand . i didnt think i needed to be a rocket scienetist to help keep the old jeep tickin do you run the k100 in your stuff doghead do you like it ??

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't really neutralize the ethanol, you've got to remove it. Ethanol will attract water, as well as eat up rubber o rings, corrode tank liners, all kinds of nasty action. Also, which we failed to mention re: the 2-cycle engine damage, the necessary oil will not stay in solution in gas with ethanol. In face a small-engine repairman we know has said that Stihl equipment co. will not honor warranties on any of their chainsaws that are run with ethanol containing gas.

rosie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't have a link as such, just google up "ethanol free gas stations" and one of the hits should give you the site. Be sure to call and check on the places, though: sometimes the individual stations cannot find the ethanol-free and sneak in 10%. There are some cheap (10 dollar range) little kits for determining ethanol percentage---also just put it in google and see what pops up. 2cents2cents

jatonka

Aother brand of ethanol euthenizer is StarTron, sold at Napa and lots of other places, been using it in my gas generators and chainsaws all year, no troubles yet. I do wish I had a gas station near by without any ethanol, Upstate NY, pretty well over regulated for sure. JT

dozer1

On vehicles that sit around and not get used often, I would just try STA-BIL fuel stabilizer as recommended by the manufacturer. Deprecated Browser Error There is some ethanol formulations if you so desire, but I just use the regular (and least expensive) one. I havent had a fuel system related problem on my farm in anything (lawn mowers, chainsaws, weed wacker, motorcycle) since I have started doing it. That would be around 22 years now. Minnesota has been 10% ethanol since the mid 90's if memory serves me.

Could it be that some of you have 30-40-50 year old MV'S that simply need a good carb job? I know how convenient it is to point the finger at ethanol for every fuel system problem that ever happens, but it might interest some of you to know that there was a such thing as a fuel system problem before there was ethanol blended in it. I like to site the example of my time as a motorcycle mechanic for this. This was in the mid to late eighties. About all I ever did was rebuild carbs. Sure a occasional electrical prob , maybe tires, but 80% of my work was gummed up, stinky rotten carbs loaded with rotten O-rings. I still wake up in the middle of the night covered with sweat remembering the smell of that varnished gas.

OK ethanol bashers, carry on..Just wanted to give you something to ponder.

6x6junkie

im really starting to get scared now i better sell the jeep and get a deuce ill talk with more people such as part stores and see what i can come up with and let you guy now what works best

TIGERFANS2

ethanol makes my '89 40 hp Evinrude sick to it's tummy
OMC said (i have the original book if proof is needed) NO eth > 10% AND any alcohol can cause runnability problems

vtdeucedriver

My carb on my M-151 was brand new 4 yrs ago and today it looks like it was 20. Im hitting the airport and getting 100ll for over the winter but my 151 has been running crappy for the last 2 months and I dont let that sit very long so I believe the damage is already done!!!
Ive already gone through the fuel pump and the carb on the M-37 and well my wrecker is showing signs as the throttle was stuck internally 2 weeks ago!!

It fricken sucks!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks