• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2011 Rally After Action Report

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Don't think it's been mentioned, but how is first aid handled?
Read post 11 I handled first aid for the week. I was a combat medic and i am currently a first responder with the local fire dept. Had my jeep there with all my medical stuff.
Duemtown also had medical people around. if all else fails i grab my fire dept radio and call for help on med com. [thumbzup] And if that didn't work i had a shovel:mrgreen:

zout

After watching the MKT and crew I only put in my 2 cents worth.

At sign up ALL names are dropped into a hat - names are drawn VOLUNTEER only and not paid - I do not agree with paying anyone with MKT duty as if someone was to get paid it should be Mike. If no one volunteers names are drawn from the hat and hunted down or broadcast to report to the MTK for duty.

I see no reason for disagreement with this proceedure as it is in the benefit for ALL and service to all.
We had all our food Plus - but after spending time on the mkt for both of us last year we at least thought (fatal mistake I know) other folks would have stepped up being this was announced many times leading into the rally. I only saw the same crew there this year beating away flawlessly by themselves to serve others.

Timing for chow I am sure will be worked out and no bitch from me - time for runs - I have yet to be on a trail run even though I have bought day pass's for each day for the last 2 rallies and not been on one yet.

Or let Mike leave the MKT home and sit and enjoy the rally as others do - fend for yourself.

Jon_H

Once again, thanks to all that put forward the effort for us all to have a great weekend.

Having been a past president of the Southern Land Rover Society and having organized and been involved in our annual rally I fully agree with poppops comments; there will always be a core group that can and will be relied upon. There will also be one time volunteers, but most event participants are there to enjoy themselves and either don't want to volunteer or simply don't give much thought to what is involved. Some that aren't as "in the clique" may feel a little on the outside, and not want to step up. All these can be remedied with encouragement, embarrassment and cajoling [thumbzup]

I'll step up next year for KP duty, having a WO2 as a Grandad made certain of at least two things; I can polish a pair of boots, and I can wash the **** out of some pots! :roll:

Anyhoo...
Sustain
- gate registration ~ good meeting point and a feeling of being welcomed
- organized trail rides ~ there were great trail leaders btw
- PA system ~ very nice feature
- warm welcome ~ being called over to the fire by poppop upon arrival at midnight was a very nice touch

Improve
- Trail maps ~ would help people who wanted to get out on the trails but missed an organized ride.
- hand washing ~ as mentioned, hand washing at the loo would be good, but rather than a water detail, why not just buy a load of large hand sanitizer pumps from Costco/Sams/etc.
- Simplify the process for getting out of work or receive a kitchen pass :mrgreen:

Roll on SSGR'12 :beer:

pgwaldner

Thanks to everyone who put this major event together.

Sustain:

:DLocation - even though far from home it is worth the trip. Durham town is great.

:DName Tags (but add hometown).

:DSwap meet area. - always great to shop for truck parts.

Improve:

auaUse chalk or paint like on football fields to mark parking areas and traffic lanes as well as no parking areas. This would organize traffic and parking.

auaOne of the lunches should be MREs - give the MKT staff a break and let the civilian types try a real military meal once. It would also travel easily on trail.

auaAsk Durhamtown to set aside a limited amount of campsites closest to the field for SS members with RV's to concentrate the group instead of being spread throughout campground.

Great rally and plan to be back next year. What are the dates?

CGSDarkstar

Unfortunately I was only there for about 20 hours before having to return home, will make more time for next event.

I won't repeat what has already been said, but i know it took a lot of work to put this on and I would be more than willing to help out next year. With that being said my only suggestion would be to do it twice a year, maybe spring and fall . . . Just a thought.

CGSDarkstar

Its just twice the work for twice the fun LOL. . . Thought that might be the case anyway. . . It is a great event . . . Maybe instead of 2 big events do a pot luck event in the spring and the full blown rally as normal.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to everyone who put this major event together.

Sustain:

:DName Tags (but add hometown).
This was a thought and now that I have a system in place, I am planning to add the hometown in a smaller font down low. I had planned on saving every namtag to file but got overwhelmed upon arrival and failed. I will make a concerted effort to do that next year. In the course of the next year I would like to obtain a command post tent like gimpster had and set that up at the gate.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to echo a few other comments as well.

Football chalkline for right of ways.
Handwashing station.
Perhaps someone setup a community genset?
Additional lighting poles?
Twice a year!!!

We would like to donate some door prizes for the next event.

If I can come up with a trailer next year, I've got thoughts on how to provide a washing station.

poppop

Once again, thanks to all that put forward the effort for us all to have a great weekend.

Having been a past president of the Southern Land Rover Society and having organized and been involved in our annual rally I fully agree with poppops comments; there will always be a core group that can and will be relied upon. There will also be one time volunteers, but most event participants are there to enjoy themselves and either don't want to volunteer or simply don't give much thought to what is involved. Some that aren't as "in the clique" may feel a little on the outside, and not want to step up. All these can be remedied with encouragement, embarrassment and cajoling [thumbzup]

I'll step up next year for KP duty, having a WO2 as a Grandad made certain of at least two things; I can polish a pair of boots, and I can wash the **** out of some pots! :roll:

Anyhoo...
Sustain
- gate registration ~ good meeting point and a feeling of being welcomed
- organized trail rides ~ there were great trail leaders btw
- PA system ~ very nice feature
- warm welcome ~ being called over to the fire by poppop upon arrival at midnight was a very nice touch

Improve
- Trail maps ~ would help people who wanted to get out on the trails but missed an organized ride.
- hand washing ~ as mentioned, hand washing at the loo would be good, but rather than a water detail, why not just buy a load of large hand sanitizer pumps from Costco/Sams/etc.
- Simplify the process for getting out of work or receive a kitchen pass :mrgreen:

Roll on SSGR'12 :beer:
Jon_h, I appreciate the kind words but if that was me I had embibed to many cheerys. I think it was probably papabear but either way that is what we try to do.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jon H, you were there a little after midite. I was at the gate when you posted between 10 and 12 and when I went over the fire was wondering where you were. I should have recognized the rover but I didn't. There were a few of us left standing when you arrived!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We would like to donate some door prizes for the next event.
Every year at the Dixie Division MVPA meet at Tannehill, AL, folks donate stuff when they come in. On Saturday duing lunch they have an auction and the funds raised are donated to the MV museum in Huntsville.

We could do something similar and use the funds to offset things we need to make the rally better.
Being a military guy I like the idea of lining areas off and putting things "dress right dress".....maybe we can try it on for size next year to see if it works.

Since the rally is an evolving event we can do different things and pick what works best.

I thought "Vendors Row" looked good this year.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SS family makes for a great bunch for a rally. Many thanks Clinto for getting and maintaining this wonderful event.
I have very little to add, I said most of what I wanted to at the rally, and even (I think) yelled some, hope no one was offended by me being loud.

Sustain:
-Check in at the gate, this was fantastic, we had greetings and initial directions.
-PA system and lights are great.
-We can add nothing to the MKT group, except , skip or super simple (mre?) lunch so they can relax some.

Improve:
-Maps for individual and group trail rides. I am working on this, slowly......
-More trail leaders, to have more organized rides with less in each group. (Yes I know I lost at least 6 trucks when a civie truck got injected into the fray. He later buried it.....snicker)
-I like the idea of dressing the pool, with lanes of travel and squared away parking. (Camp vehicles sequestered around the perimeter.)
-A group meet time around the fire. Each evening for say 15 minutes, to cover rules, needs, issues, and general group topics.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps do the driver meetings nightly around the campfire?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
For what it's worth, here's my 2cents on the whole rally.

I brought a very picky "Prim and Proper" lady to her very first trip to the woods...she did it cause she loves me...I know that...BUT:
Once MB got there and got her bearing and her feet on the ground, she couldn't believe what a class act that rally really was.
(The porta potties were sorta iffy...lol)

So...in format: Awe poop...

I don't see how you can improve on perfection...much.:D

When the biggest issue is hand washing stations etc...life in the field HAS to be good!

I do think the MKT Crew needs some relief...heck...I'll even pitch in...if Mike brings more Polish Vodka...and Wreckerman is on a trail ride or sumpin.
I think everyone that eats there should offer some sort of help but I think Mike, Wreckerman and maybe Clinto need to write that OPORD.

As far as vehicles parked dressed right...ummm...I dunno.

I think we can easily "overthink/over organize" this event into a sort of "Covenanted(?) Community".
I'm gonna vote to keep it like it is...park where ya can when ya get there...except in/near traffic/venue lanes...designated by management.

The fewer rules/requirements we have..the less stress...that's why I come.

Of course I will comply with whatever the majority/management comes up with...I just need this time to unwind.aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks