• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA 2011 Rally After Action Report

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
MRE's are actually closer to $8 each. They aren't a cheap lunch and for those with picky diets/tastes.....
That shows how long I been out of the loop.......when I used to get them at the Commissary they were a little over 5 bucks per.

MRE's are an aquired taste......I used to love the Beef Stew with crumbled up crackers, cheese spread and hot sauce mixed in.......mmmmm mmmmmm mmmmmmm.

I think we'll stick with sandwiches, chips, fruit cup and Bama Lady's cookies (assuming that they are not pilfered by a grumpy old bear).

3dAngus

Little to say in the specified format as everything was fantastic.

I would like to suggest an auction next year, probably on a Saturday evening, or Sunday morning early, for folks who want to get rid of stuff and not bring it home. I met an auctioneer at GL who has offered to do the tasking. It was to late to get him in this year, but let's please keep it in mind for next year. It would be nice to bring an extra M-105 and if not sold, auction it off to the high bidder and he can load it up and bring all his new toys home. (I'll be having two other trailers to load up and bring home.)

5-10% can go to the Ga Rally to offset fees and lunch.

poppop

What do you guys thunk about this?? Bring a pot of water to a boil, dump in a bunch of tube steaks, boil liberaly, have buns and condiments nearby as well as chips. For those of you that don't know what tube steaks are , they are weiners, or hotdogs. Its cheap, quick and easy and most folks love hotdogs. We are having an antique tractor trailride here tomorrow and guess what lunch is, HOTDOGS.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you guys thunk about this?? Bring a pot of water to a boil, dump in a bunch of tube steaks, boil liberaly, have buns and condiments nearby as well as chips. For those of you that don't know what tube steaks are , they are weiners, or hotdogs. Its cheap, quick and easy and most folks love hotdogs. We are having an antique tractor trailride here tomorrow and guess what lunch is, HOTDOGS.
Best idea yet. I don't know what kind of cost or hassle the fries are but the are very good. Any leftover dogs can be tosssed in a stew.

poppop

They are easy to dress up also with relish, maybe some prechopped onions and sliced cheese if someone likes cheese on theirs like me.:grin:

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Richard,

MRE's are actually closer to $8 each. They aren't a cheap lunch and for those with picky diets/tastes.....

Cold cut sandwiches are a better option or heater meals of sometype.

If yall decide to go the MRE rout and you can aquire any off the base I can offer you my whole sale price on them but even at that you probably will still be looking at almost 6.00 each and that's if shipping is not too much!

sandcobra164

Streamline, those are high prices in my opinion but probably fair market price. I may bring some to the rally to hand out as freebies for the lunch meal.

Last edited:

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Streamline, I can get a pallet of MRE cases for one e-mail. 12 to a case and quite a few cases to a pallet. I may just bring a few to hand out. Can I really get $6.00 for on MRE or a case?

If you can get a pallet of 1 or two year old MRE's I might be interested in purchasing. We sold them at $85.00 a case but the price jumped about $6.00 a case recently as expected so now we have to sell them at 91.00 a case and even at these prices there is not much room for profit! I don't stock these in my store anymore because of the price they want for them.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Poppop, hotdogs, chili, or slaw. Easy to prepare, simple to serve. KISS. Workshops are a great idea also.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was the best rally ever and those that missed it have no idea what a great time they missed!

I agree with many of the recommendations already made, but here are my two cents.

SUBJECT: Sanitation
DISCUSSION: The number of portable toilets was inadequate and they were not cleaned frequently enough.

RECOMMENDATION:
1. Add more portable toilets
2. Have toilets cleaned more frequently. Cost for portable toilets for such a short duration should not be high.

SUBJECT: Hand-Wash Station
DISCUSSION: Hand washing station(s) would not only be nice, it is a cleanliness/health issue. One caveat is that locating a hand wash station properly is critical to avoid a muddy area.
RECOMMENDATION: I towed my M149A2 water buffalo to the rally this year, empty. With it being empty, it was useless except to look at. Next year, I can again tow it to the rally on the first day, full of 400 gallons of clean potable water. For those not familiar with the M149A2, there are four individual self-closing drum faucets, two per side, plus a connection for a garden hose.

SUBJECT: Parking and Movement Lanes
DISCUSSION: Considering that people were basically parking where they wanted and there was some confusion, parking worked well. More of a concern was maintaining travel lanes so that trucks didn’t get blocked in. Some groups like to park together, such as CAMO.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. Use lime, etc. to mark no parking areas and lanes to assure adequate ingress and egress from the compound.
2. Continue to allow people to park where they want, as long as they stay out of the travel lanes and don’t block anyone in.

SUBJECT: Payment of Durhamtown Fees
DISCUSSION: I know for a fact that some did not pay the required Durhamtown fees for parking, camping and trail rides. One reason this rally is so fantastic is the location. Durhamtown provides much support for the rally and the trails are excellent. If they don’t realize a return on investment, they will either diminish the support, or ban us from the site.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. When entering the compound and registering, require the participant to show the receipt where Durhamtown fees were properly paid. Durhamtown requires the fees to be paid prior to parking.
2. If a participant sees someone in the compound or on the trails either as a spectator or driver that doesn’t have the proper color arm band displayed, or no arm band at all, politely request that they pay the required fees and explain why it is important to do so.

SUBJECT: Hard-ball Convoy
DISCUSSION: As others have mentioned, our reception at the VFW was not the best. I heard several convoy participants complain that the VFW members didn’t appreciate the convoy and even that some were rude. Also, there were not very many people at the VFW. That being said, I think the hard-ball convoy is an excellent idea and the idea of the VFW as the destination was excellent, it just didn’t work out as planned.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. Pick another destination for the convoy
2. Have the local papers put a front-page article in the paper(s)
3. Contact radio stations and provide information.
4. I would recommend running the convoy to a local school in Washington. The kids would love it.

SUBJECT: Meals - MKT
DISCUSSION: The MKT staff did an excellent job, but largely had no life at the rally other than very hard work and few volunteers.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. Either skip lunch or make sandwiches
2. Firm timetable for meals. Make the trail rides and other activities work around the MKT schedule.
3. Mandatory KP signed up upon registration
4. The only exception for mandatory KP is if a replacement volunteers

SUBJECT: Monetary Donations
DISCUSSION: There are a lot of small expenses required to run a rally of this magnitude and if the rally keeps growing, as I believe it will, certain improvements and investments might be called for.
RECOMMENDATION:
1. Start a new thread under GA Rally where monetary donations can be made throughout the year.
2. Acknowledge donors by name without mentioning the level of donation
3. Alternatively, set a recommended level of donation

Chief_919

Workshops are a great idea also.

I think workshops would be a great addition.

They would be an excellent way for guys new to the hobby to learn, as well as those of us who ahve done it forever.

For example, Doghead can run one on how to use a TM before posting.

We can have ones on recovery and safe winch usage, M35 basics, how to do PMCS, how to read and use a TM, CUCV electrical systems, how to change split ring tires, etc.

Among the participants at the rally we have a wealth of knowledge, as well as folks brand new to the hobby. This is a great way to pass it on.

sandcobra164

Mr. ATD, I'll join ya! Next time, leave the Remy and the fancy cigar's, bring a can of Natty or Natural Light, a can of Snuff and you'll blend in just fine. I did notice that the Remy was well received by the crowd down in the CAMO compound, I just didn't know what it was.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Rally. The wife and I had a blast, even tho we were unprepared for the event(been a long time since I have gone tent camping).
Porta potties- Need to be serviced. The two down the hill(by the CAMO crew) ran out of TP by Thursday night, and by Saturday morning, were getting quite full of waste.
Parking- no change. Getting a vehicle into a spot can be tricky, and very hard when somebody else has parked their vehicle in "your" spot(that didn't have your name on it). It wasn't that bad, even for my M814 to move around the compound to load /unload stuff.
MKT- Don't even serve lunch. Just breakfast and dinner. You should be able to bring your own lunch stuff, and eat lunch when you please.
SOme things I'd like to see....
How hard would it be to add plumbing and electrical to "our side" of the fence? That way we won't have to steal water and power from a campsite. A 2" water line and 50amp 220 volt hookup would take care of a lot of the power problems at the MKT and registration table. we can take up a donation for the stuff needed, get an okay from DT, and I would come up on a saturday to help install same- and maybe drag ferro with me.:mrgreen:
I like the idea of training sessions on equipment. I just purchased a winch, and while it will look cool on the front of the M814, I would like to know how to use the winch PROPERLY and SAFELY. I can read TM's till the cows come home, but a hands on experance on using a piece of equipment goes a long way in keeping the equipment in working order, and me safe.
When Wreckerman played taps, I was kinda embarrassed, as I had know idea what to do.(thats right, no military expereance.... SO maybe a quick course on military courtsey for non military folk.:jumpin:

phil2968

.............When Wreckerman played taps, I was kinda embarrassed, as I had know idea what to do.(thats right, no military expereance.... SO maybe a quick course on military courtsey for non military folk.:jumpin:
Your quite right my friend. When those taps were played we we're sitting around the campfire and were reminded that we should stand with hats removed and facing the flag or spreakers where the taps was coming from!
I would like to do it right to remember the fallen heroes that fought for our country!
I was embaressed that we had to be reminded to stand at attention during that playback. Thanks Paparbear for reminding us civilian slackers our place! Don't let us ever forget it!
On a side note, I had tears come to my eyes on the hardball convoy I hide them from my wife and sons but it tugged at my heart thinking about the men who drove these trucks and never came home from their convoys. That many trucks was such a beatiful sight!
I was not able to make a condribution to these efforts when I was young becuase of my artifical leg. It still makes me proud to own and operate a piece of American iron that may have served our boys.
Play on with the taps WM and let us hoist a flag like we did in 2010!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Your quite right my friend. When those taps were played we we're sitting around the campfire and were reminded that we should stand with hats removed and facing the flag or spreakers where the taps was coming from!
I would like to do it right to remember the fallen heroes that fought for our country!
I was embaressed that we had to be reminded to stand at attention during that playback. Thanks Paparbear for reminding us civilian slackers our place! Don't let us ever forget it!
On a side note, I had tears come to my eyes on the hardball convoy I hide them from my wife and sons but it tugged at my heart thinking about the men who drove these trucks and never came home from their convoys. That many trucks was such a beatiful sight!
I was not able to make a condribution to these efforts when I was young becuase of my artifical leg. It still makes me proud to own and operate a piece of American iron that may have served our boys.
Play on with the taps WM and let us hoist a flag like we did in 2010!
Phil, not everyone can..or should serve. There are all kinds of reasons for that.
You are NOT a "civilian slacker" Brother, and you and your family represent the American Spirit in slendid fashion.[thumbzup]

I was told by a couple folks that my comment that night was a bit loud and forceful.
Maybe so, it just slipped out but I can not apoligize for it.

The last part of your post I highlighted is the reason why, as well as the formation of the CAMO and the building of Proud American.

It takes us all to get the job done, civilian and military I guess we just need to work on it a little:-D:-D

Back to the original scheduled program!rofl

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think workshops would be a great addition.

They would be an excellent way for guys new to the hobby to learn, as well as those of us who ahve done it forever.

For example, Doghead can run one on how to use a TM before posting.

We can have ones on recovery and safe winch usage, M35 basics, how to do PMCS, how to read and use a TM, CUCV electrical systems, how to change split ring tires, etc.

Among the participants at the rally we have a wealth of knowledge, as well as folks brand new to the hobby. This is a great way to pass it on.

Great idea. I'd volunteer to show how to break down 5-ton locking ring tires because someone bought the wrong ones for the front of their 818. EMD567 and I could do that, SHOW that is. We got our fill Sat night.

I'd like for Doghead to give a class on what gets a post deleted and how to use a TM.

PB can cover proper respect at taps.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, I didn't even know there was a difference between 900 series and 800 series rims!;-)

Thanks to AMGeneral (brandon) for pointing that out! And thanks to everyone who helped me get them changed out.

I love the idea of training or how too clinics. I love teaching and would volunteer to do a clinic. I've done lots of tires so maybe I'll take up the flag on that one. Plus I've got tons that need changing! :twisted:

I did help out in the MKT the first day quite a bit- filled all the burners, serving a meal, ect. But after that I got caught up in the rally and helping folks, I didn't get a chance to help as much as I wanted. I really appriciate all that the MKT folks do. I would also recommend that we do not serve breakfast on Sunday- it takes Mike a long time to fold everything up. I wanted to stay and help, but we had a time schedule that couldn't be broken. I will have my MKT fully operational by next year. If we want two cooking MKT's and a sanatation MKT, then we might have 3 MKT's set up for next year. That would be awesome! BUT- we would need a lot of help to fold them all up either Sat night or Sunday morning. Sat night would probably work best, as most folks are packing up Sunday morning.

I agree with the portapottie issues- needed to be stocked and cleaned, and maybe a few extras. Sanatation stations would be great, but we would need a way to get rid of the waste water- we don't want it on the ground, it makes too big a mess.

Trail rides were good, with the lining up beforehand. I would like to see them lined up, then a meeting, as some guys might have something little to do to the truck, and this will give them 5 min or so to still make the trail ride.

As early as some of us are planning to arrive next year, if the PA system can be gotten to the rally site, and other things, we could have a good bit of that set up by the time most people get there.

There are power, water, and sewer lines right where the MKT is parked. We might want to ask DT if we can put forth the energy or funds to make these operational. Might need to build a box over them, to keep the horses from messing with the connections.

The lights were great that Blythwood Joe had. Wish we had more to spread around the compound.

I did get the first arm band, and paid for the other days, and got my cards. I never could seem to get over to the office, to exchange my card for the current day's band. I know they don't like giving the bands out early, as then people would know the color and could 'cheat'. But with everything I had going on it was hard to make time to stop by the main office. Maybe, someone from DT could come to the registration table in the mornings, to swap cards for bands? Or I just need to not be so lazy and force time to get over there before the trailrides start. lol.

I love the idea of a 'taps' ceromony- makes me tear up. I did many military funerals when I was stationed in San Diego. I always fell that tightness in my heart, at the loss of another defender of freedom, and the thought of those we have already lost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks