• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military antenna with cb radio

ODdave

Ok, I did a search and found a bunch of info that I did not understand. What I am looking for is info on what military antenna would work best on my cucv for use with a cb radio. Also what base should I be looking for? I have the bracket for the side of the truck but nothing else.

cucv1833

Can you post any more pictures of you setup?. It would be helpful to see the base and mount.
Sorry my truck is far away right now. I used the regular fender mount then bought the whole kit off ebay. The 3 section of whips and the AB-15 base. Just make sure your base comes with the 4 hole mount. Then i measured from the bottom of the base to the tip of the whip and had to cut it down to 110" to get a good SWR on my CB meter. around 1:1.6? i dont remember. Its not in the red zone though

It has a good military look and works well for me. Theres 100s of CB options but i like this for my CUCV. I have 550 para cord holding the tip down torwards the brush gaurd but i already broke the tip off once going through the woods.

jmassenga

Antenna base AB558 will also work with the CUCV mount and antenna sections already mentioned above. That's the setup I've had on my M1008 for about 5 years now.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Instead of cutting down an MS-118 section, you can also get the MS-24 which is a shortened and properly tapered section for the rt-66, rt-67 radios. That will make the total length about 108.5inches when coupled with ms-116 and ms-117 sections which is suitable for cb radio operation.

Ziggy

nattieleather

Yeah what JM and Zig said! The Ab-15 or the AB558 with the MS antenna sections is an easier set up than trying to rework the tuned base antenna which are for a higher frequency than where CB radio is set at.

cucv1833

Yeah what JM and Zig said! The Ab-15 or the AB558 with the MS antenna sections is an easier set up than trying to rework the tuned base antenna which are for a higher frequency than where CB radio is set at.
:ditto: Yeah. I done a lot of searching here on S.S. and that what i came up with so thats what im running. Like i said eariler a 30 min install I bolted it up and connected the cable and i was on my way. Theres a hose clamp grounding strap on the AB-15 base. I have that wrapped around the coax connecter going to the base and a wire from that grounded to my truck. I guess thats the correct way. Without it connected i wasnt getting a signal.

notsosanestan

i use the same antenna and base in the conversion link. it actually works pretty good just used a SWR meter and turned the tuning knob till it was the lowest

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks