• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally have a 6x6! M-817 from SD

racolton

I bought an M-817 from GSA without inspecting it and after reading about the poor conditions of some trucks from GSA and GL I got really nervous about my acquisition. Thankfully I lucked out - my co-worker and I drove down to Box Elder, SD in the wife's van and I was able to drive the truck back without incident. (Though I was a bit sore - the suspension seat was adjusted really low and I couldn't get the crank to turn, so I felt EVERY bump since I was basically sitting right on the floor.)

Big pictures can be found here:
M-817 Dump Truck - Colton Family Website

Attachments

racolton

Seriously, these pics are tiny to get them under the size limits. Hopefully my Google Site page doesn't have a traffic or hit limit:
M-817 Dump Truck - Colton Family Website

Any idea what the connector is underneath the passenger seat?

Also, I noticed that the Max Towed Load field is blank on the data plate, any idea why this might be? Do you think there might be an issue legally towing a load without this information being declared on the plate?

Attachments

Last edited:

racolton

I edited the message after I had posted it, he snuck in and asked about it before I could get the question in there. :) Also, no, I don't know Karl Kostman.

KsM715

Thats a good looking truck. I love the M817 with the cover on it. I'm considering converting my 818 to a 817. (I know where there are some dump beds sitting idle) The thing under the seat is for a radio. I don't believe there is any latch to hold the bed down.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The trucks listed in Box Elder are all runners most all the time. Box Elder is one of two state federal surplus sites so the trucks are meant to be sold to non-profit outfits. That is why they are good units. The non profits for the most part could not afford to do a expensive repair on a ex GI truck. Most states have this type of web site so watch for them. Not to be confused with the state sites that sell the junk turn in stuff.

M813A1

THE RACK UNDER THE SEAT IS A RADIO RACK AND THE CABLE UNDER THAT SEAT IS PROBABLY A ANTENNA CABLE OR POWER CABLE FOR THE ANTENNA MATCHING UNIT OR A POWER CABLE TO THE RADIO RACK ! I am jealous that is a Nice M817 , I want one !! I drove M817's in the Combat Engineering Unit I was a member in !!

racolton

I really like the way it looks with the cover over the bed, which is the only reason I went above my usual limit for these trucks. I just wish the seats would have been in the back. Oh well, going to use it mostly to haul a boatload of dirt so any part of the troop carrier package is just a bonus. :)

Speaking of the Box Elder agency - while I was leaving their warehouse they pointed out a brand new Cat turbo diesel engine that sells for $15k+ normally, they would sell it to another agency for only $3k! Found it on their agency site: Cat C7 Engine

I *really* want the M917 they have, but sadly I'm not a qualifying non-profit agency in SD. :-( M917

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the Dumper [thumbzup] Nice truck :jumpin:

I see it even has the tray for the FLUX CAPACITOR :tin hat:They come up on GL & GSA Auctions VERY SELDOM.... If you get one, set your Hour Meter to about 30years into the FUTURE and then take 'er up to 88 MPH and see what happens rofl:doh:

All kidding aside.....

Congrats on a great score :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks