• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Automatic Transmisson?

conductorx

Multifuel Automatic Transmisson?

Here goes my first post of hopefully a never before asked question.

Will the Allison automatic transmisson used in the A3 work in a Multifuel A2 truck?

Does the bell housing fit?

Has anyone done this? How did you manage it?

My reason for asking, I really like the idea of the multifuel engine. I also like the idea of an automatic transmisson in an truck that will see highway and offroad use. I also know from experience driving my Thing in parades what a pain the clutch becomes.

Thanks,
"G"

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I very much doubt you will get any good info back. I do not remember anyone putting an auto behind their multi. I know nobody would use an A3 trans because it is not an overdrive unit. If it would be done, you would want one with O/D.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In parades, use low range on the transfer case and first or second gear in the transmission, engine speed at about 1000 rpm's. Should not have to use the clutch very much if you do that.

conductorx

My heart isn't set on the A3. Overdrive did not even occur to me. Does the manual 5 speed include an overdrive?

I am just thinking outside the box and I don't have the knowledge of MVs that the rest of you have.

Most parades are slow and steady. Mardi Gras parades are constant start and stop affairs. You may stop for 30 seconds to 30 min. The organizers and police are constantly telling people to bunch up and stay close together.

I appreciate all the responses.

"G"

abh3

The bellhousing is SAE #2 , the trans adapter #3, I'm sure you could come up with an Allison 545 that would bolt up to one or the other. The catch is the flywheel, you might be adapting the one that the trans was behind to the Multi crank hub, and then there is the starter to turn that flywheel though I'd guess unless there's something really odd about Multi starter/flywheel dimensions it'll work out if you have enough time/money/patience.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I very much doubt you will get any good info back. I do not remember anyone putting an auto behind their multi. I know nobody would use an A3 trans because it is not an overdrive unit. If it would be done, you would want one with O/D.
I was answering this part of this post with the Cranetrucks 8x8 MULTI and AUTO oem comment.
Orignal Military Equipment in this case

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why not just buy a M35A3 or 939 series 5 ton? They come with automatics.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was answering this part of this post with the Cranetrucks 8x8 MULTI and AUTO oem comment.
Orignal Military Equipment in this case
No offense, but I'm sure those are out there in big numbers. :D
No offense, just pointing out that the multi and a auto WAS a factory combo, may be not in wide use but WAS a military use combo, so some one did put a auto behind a multi. :D:shock:

jasonjc

Not 100% on this but I thought that it has been said the trans in the A3 is electionic.?. It would be had ($$) to mode that to a muilt. That is not to say that you could not get a different auto to go behind the muilt. On another note I thought (not 100%) that they (military) tryed the auto out of the M135/211 in the M35's. Don't know if it was the reo or the muilt.

Now remeber I'm not 100% on this and I did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn last night:wink:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Point taken. My statement was about any custom jobs guys here on the site have done.
You need to be CLEAR about what you say, NOT rely on mind reading (though that might be fun and scary) since some hang on every word you say, you being one of of the site BIGGEST KNOW-IT-ALLS :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks