• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Automatic Transmisson?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it would almost be easier to just start off with an A3 and swap the motor to a Multi. ......
The Multifuel engine is longer than the CAT 3116; I dont' think it would be that easy...

G.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

This is true. Hank had a special short jackshaft fabricated to fit.
That's not correct. I used the factory deuce transmission output shaft that connects to the transfer case. I did, however, purchase a companion flange for the AT545 output to mate up with the factory deuce output shaft. I recall the output shaft having a 12" overall length, but 11" if it's compressed. I placed the Cummins 5.9 + Allison AT545 with the output shaft at 11.5" to leave room in either direction for flex.

rustystud

The point of having one of our trucks is to get AWAY from all the junk electronics.
If you use the AT540 tranny, then you will not have any electronics, but you will not have an overdrive either.
I personally don't like all the new electronics on modern vehicles, but working on the new style Allison transmissions I rarely see any electronic problems. Mostly the wiring gets old and brittle and starts to short out (after 100,000 miles ), but that is usually all that fails in the electric department. Maybe some actuators, but for the most part they are extremely reliable units, and if you keep the temperature where it is suppose to be, you will have a tranny live the life of the truck. I don't however like all the crap on the diesel engines ! Just go back to a straight rail system like the early Cummins 5.9 . Less problems, more dependability . Granted less fuel mileage and emissions, but I can live with that !

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

That's not correct. I used the factory deuce transmission output shaft that connects to the transfer case. I did, however, purchase a companion flange for the AT545 output to mate up with the factory deuce output shaft. I recall the output shaft having a 12" overall length, but 11" if it's compressed. I placed the Cummins 5.9 + Allison AT545 with the output shaft at 11.5" to leave room in either direction for flex.
So what did you do? You move the transfer case back? Man my memory is really suffering lately. I did go through your whole build thread again recently.

HanksDeuce

So what did you do? You move the transfer case back? Man my memory is really suffering lately. I did go through your whole build thread again recently.
Sorry I haven't updated my build website in quite a while. I don't normally update the website until that portion of the project is completed.

I left the transfer case where it is. The transmission output shaft stayed stock. I simply moved the engine/tranny forward in the chassis. It looks strange, but my bellhousing mounts are inside the engine bay. The only thing that sticks out past the hood is the massive Freightliner intercooler. It doesn't look bad at all. I will update my thread and website soon.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a hood from a gasser would fix all your front end issues, it's about 6.5" longer and wider at the front, not as much taper.
tom

HanksDeuce

a hood from a gasser would fix all your front end issues, it's about 6.5" longer and wider at the front, not as much taper.
tom
Wow, that's good information right there. I went ahead and worked a deal with a local fabricator to get the Freightliner intercooler shortened for free. Pics to follow in my build thread.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe... A3 hoods are wider at the front, but only little over two inches longer, not 6.5".

M35A3 hood dimensions are shown in this post.... and I just added a drawing, here...

G.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i've got a nos gasser hood, so i think i know!! same at the cab, hinges fit, almost no taper rear to front. thought it would make an interesting front end look on an a2. probably was a 5 ton. if i remember tomorrow, i'll post some pics.

Last edited:

rustystud

I went out and measured the hood on my 1952 M35 Gasser today. It is the same as my 1988 M35A2C hood. It even has the same tapering to the sides. In my opinion it's identical.

Katahdin

My reason for asking, I really like the idea of the multifuel engine. I also like the idea of an automatic transmisson in an truck that will see highway and offroad use. I also know from experience driving my Thing in parades what a pain the clutch becomes.

Thanks,
"G"
I've driven a bit it parades, in the deuce you can crawl pretty slow with the transfer case in low. Not much clutching is needed if you leave enough space in front of you.

Automatic transmissions are my comfort zone, that's what I grew up driving. But a couple years back I drove from Fort Campbell to Sill in a moving truck with an Allison, often I longed to be able to manually shift it on my own. "I can shift gears better than this!" crossed my mind a few times. :driver:

JasonS

I went out and measured the hood on my 1952 M35 Gasser today. It is the same as my 1988 M35A2C hood. It even has the same tapering to the sides. In my opinion it's identical.
Near as I can tell, my gasser hood is the same as the later multi version. The side covers on a gasser are tapered whereas the multi are straight to allow for the taller radiator/ grill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks