• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multifuel Automatic Transmisson?

oboyjohn

Hi Guys. Up here in Canada, our MLVW's ( 2 1/2 tons) ran with Detroit diesel 8.2 litre fuel pincher engines and an Allison MT643 automatic transmission. Now I know that our engines were not multifuelers but earlier in this thread you were talking about different styles of bellhousings for different engines. Also it appears that the general population does not like the current automaic running in your A3's ( reliability issues, electronically controlled ). Maybe this transmission could be an option if the bellhousings match up. This tranny has no electrics on it and is full mechanicl shifting with govenor controlled internal hydraulic pressure.

My 2 cents

rustystud

Hi Guys. Up here in Canada, our MLVW's ( 2 1/2 tons) ran with Detroit diesel 8.2 litre fuel pincher engines and an Allison MT643 automatic transmission. Now I know that our engines were not multifuelers but earlier in this thread you were talking about different styles of bellhousings for different engines. Also it appears that the general population does not like the current automaic running in your A3's ( reliability issues, electronically controlled ). Maybe this transmission could be an option if the bellhousings match up. This tranny has no electrics on it and is full mechanicl shifting with govenor controlled internal hydraulic pressure.

My 2 cents
The MT600 series are longer and much heavier then the AT500 series . I have a MT654 from a Tanker truck which I thought at one time I would put into the deuce, but this thing is just too big ! Also the AT500 series transmissions are not electronic ! The only electrical is the neutral safety switch.

quickfarms

I've driven a bit it parades, in the deuce you can crawl pretty slow with the transfer case in low. Not much clutching is needed if you leave enough space in front of you.

Automatic transmissions are my comfort zone, that's what I grew up driving. But a couple years back I drove from Fort Campbell to Sill in a moving truck with an Allison, often I longed to be able to manually shift it on my own. "I can shift gears better than this!" crossed my mind a few times. :driver:
Driving an Allison is not like driving the automatic in your car. You need to read the Allison drivers manual. You can, and I do, shift an Allison manually.

res0wc18

Read through this entire thread again.

What about one of the modern six speed allisons? The 1000/2000 series and up would be more than up to the task and with a .61 and .64 overdrive with stock sized tires it would perform great as the gear jumps are smaller and dont loose momentum. There is many companies that offer aftermarket support and stand alone controllers at reasonable costs.

rustystud

Read through this entire thread again.

What about one of the modern six speed allisons? The 1000/2000 series and up would be more than up to the task and with a .61 and .64 overdrive with stock sized tires it would perform great as the gear jumps are smaller and dont loose momentum. There is many companies that offer aftermarket support and stand alone controllers at reasonable costs.
You could go with the 2000 series. It is longer then the stock manual though so you will need to modify the transfer-case position and adjust the length of the drivelines. They are good transmissions though with very few recalls done to them.

welldigger

They are great looking trucks. I have never seen one for sell though have you ? Does the Canadian Government even allow the sale of their trucks ?
Not that I have seen. In fact I have seen Canadians complaining they can't buy them. Though this is just my reading. I'm not 100% this is the case.

Kinda odd if it's true though.

I'd be much happier with a dt466 or 6bt cummins than a detroit. Mostly because I'd love my truck to be quieter. I don't see how a screaming 2 stroke would help that. Though I don't dislike the Detroits beyond that.

Jeepsinker

They used to surplus them years ago, then things changed to be just like HMMWVs used to be here, they all had to be destroyed. So there are a number of them out there in civilian hands, just not as many as we have of ours.

oboyjohn

Hi Welldigger. The Canadian Deuces had an 8.2 litre Detroit fuel pincher 4 stroke engine, not a 2 stroker. Although I have heard of some people have installed a 6V53 into them,maybe someone up in Alaska. Anybody know for sure?

welldigger

Hi Welldigger. The Canadian Deuces had an 8.2 litre Detroit fuel pincher 4 stroke engine, not a 2 stroker. Although I have heard of some people have installed a 6V53 into them,maybe someone up in Alaska. Anybody know for sure?
Now in that case I would keep the detroit.

res0wc18

the biggest and really only issue i see besides hving to move the transfer etc is the flexplate. 2000 series allisons can be had all over with SAE 3 and 2 bellhousings, but correct me if im wrong the flexplate from the multifuel has to be unique to that engine series.

rustystud

the biggest and really only issue i see besides hving to move the transfer etc is the flexplate. 2000 series allisons can be had all over with SAE 3 and 2 bellhousings, but correct me if im wrong the flexplate from the multifuel has to be unique to that engine series.

This question was never answered. Does anyone know the correct answer ? I'm thinking about installing a AT545 Allison in one of my older deuces behind a multifuel. The AT545 is rated to handle up to 30,000 Ibs so it would be fine in a deuce.
Just push the transfer case back a bit and play with the drivelines a bit and your golden ! I was going to add an air cylinder to shift the transfer case so I wouldn't have to mess with linkages.
The flex-plate is the main problem though. Where can it be had from ?

tobyS

Hope you work this out Rusty. The 545 is a well regarded transmission but a 5-6 speed would be really nice. Good luck.

Don't forget to get one with the PTO ring if you want a tranny mounted PTO. From what I can tell, the PTO gear is optional on the 545 while all of the 1545 have them. The same PTO as the 939 series fits but it has to be a direct mount pump, no room for driveshaft. Kits for the flange mount do fit the PTO (from the 939 series) and many different pump input shafts can be accommodated. I have a surplus one with a 1"-15 spline (going to smaller pressure comp pump on mine).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks