• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Updates on my uh-1e gunship

Stalwart

if it's over my own property I don't think the FAA matters at all, it's my property, just like having a non-titled non-licensed car that I drive threw the fields and woods at the farm
Then you'd be wrong! In part:

§ 91.1 Applicability.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section and §§91.701 and 91.703, this part prescribes rules governing the operation of aircraft (other than moored balloons, kites, unmanned rockets, and unmanned free balloons, which are governed by part 101 of this chapter, and ultralight vehicles operated in accordance with part 103 of this chapter) within the United States, including the waters within 3 nautical miles of the U.S. coast.

(b) Each person operating an aircraft in the airspace overlying the waters between 3 and 12 nautical miles from the coast of the United States must comply with §§91.1 through 91.21; §§91.101 through 91.143; §§91.151 through 91.159; §§91.167 through 91.193; §91.203; §91.205; §§91.209 through 91.217; §91.221, §91.225; §§91.303 through 91.319; §§91.323 through 91.327; §91.605; §91.609; §§91.703 through 91.715; and §91.903.

(c) This part applies to each person on board an aircraft being operated under this part, unless otherwise specified.

(d) This part also establishes requirements for operators to take actions to support the continued airworthiness of each airplane.

rideni

it's my property I'd like to see them do something about it.
Though I'm not dumb enough to let myself operate an aircraft, kind of like how I won't let myself operate a boat. Also I doubt I could afford an aircraft, though if I found one for free or cheap I wouldn't much care for FAA, like the FCC there is probably not much they can do to an unlicensed person.

Stalwart

Though I'm not dumb enough to let myself operate an aircraft, kind of like how I won't let myself operate a boat. Also I doubt I could afford an aircraft, though if I found one for free or cheap I wouldn't much care for FAA, like the FCC there is probably not much they can do to an unlicensed person.
:rofl:

Think confiscation of your prized toy.

Heath_h49008

They just send a bunch of C students with guns... The same thing they do if you don't pay your taxes, or try to build homemade firecrackers or machine guns.

I'm quite certain the local cops would LOVE to brag about this crazy guy with an unlicensed GUNSHIP they got to arrest.

Seriously, I hate the FAA. I was accepted to Embry-Riddle and dreamed of working in aviation. But in the mid 1990s, the number one employer for engineering graduates of the best aviation school in the world was Disney... as "Imagineers." There is a reason civil aviation is basically dead in this country, and it's the FAA. (Yes, I went mechanical instead of aerospace simply for the job prospects and the cost of ER.)

But, just because they are a bunch of idiotic bureaucrats, it doesn't change the fact they can, and will happily crush your life if you buck them.

If you want to fly, just be prepared to spend waaaayyy more money than is reasonable, and jump through every little hoop they put in front of you with a smile on your face and a quick "Yes sir!"

Welcome to the New America... learn to enjoy licking boots.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a lot of friends that fly. I used to own an FBO. Had a friend that ran a huge helo service and he let me fly a few times. flew a bell222 and a jet ranger. WOW I had a guy I knew that flew for years, flew IFR and all and never had a license.
What did a bird like that cost you if you don,t mind. How much did you have to restore?
Mark

ProviderDriver

You could register the Huey as an Experimental with an Air Racing/Exhibition restriction. (It's a BS restriction) It allows you to operate the aircraft "in participation of air shows, air racing and any exhibition event, and practice for said events."

I'm always practicing for my next air show. Most of the time they will restrict you to a certain distance from your "Home Base" and if you need/want to go beyond that, you just call your local FSDO and ask for permission and they will fax you a letter. Sometimes they will give you a blanket letter. Most of the time you cannot fly over densely populated areas, or in Class B airspace. Densely populated areas are depicted in yellow on Sectional charts.

It would actually be quite easy in the grand scheme of things... I can hook you up with the right people if you were interested. The lack of serial numbers shouldn't be an issue nor the lack of logs. It would be as if you built it from the ground up yourself.

You would have to call it something other than what it is. It would no longer be a "Bell Helicopter" It would be a (for example) "decodeme UH-1 replica, S/N 001"

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Decodeme2
How in the world do you go about getting a ship like that. What do you do, go to the graveyard, bid on it. I know they sell some aircraft without any instruments, or engines, but what all do you have to go through. 20 years ago I had the chance to buy a 727 for very cheap, (like $20,000.) but because of the sound regs you had to replace engines and exaust, and that cost more than a much newer aircraft. I would love to find an albatross.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
how do you get one

Decodeme2
How in the world do you go about getting a ship like that. What do you do, go to the graveyard, bid on it. I know they sell some aircraft without any instruments, or engines, but what all do you have to go through. 20 years ago I had the chance to buy a 727 for very cheap, (like $20,000.) but because of the sound regs you had to replace engines and exaust, and that cost more than a much newer aircraft. I would love to find an albatross.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks