• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gamma goat only goes Thirty Miles an hour..

Joe Gamma

I took my goat on the roads of Plymton mass today rumbling around pretending to not enjoy the attention...My goat was definatly in high gear but when I kicked it to forth it seamed to plateau and just panned at thirty...Govenor???It was definatly in High gear two wheel drive...

Thanks Guys ..

Joe C

goat whisperer

If the engine sounds good and doesn´t smoke at 30 mph you´re riding in the lower gears...
You should check the transfer case again. At 30 mph in the fourth higher gear the engine runs nearly at idle speed and couldn´t work well. Switch the transfer case from the upper to the lower gears and see if there is any difference.

Joe Gamma

I have have a pretty exp milsurp guy rebuiling it and he put it through some shifting between low and high and felt it was in high. Tranfer case just sounds exp do they break often and are they tough to fix?
Sorry for the misspells I am texting from my blackberry

Thanks guys

Joe

Joe Gamma

I dropped off the right fuel filters tonight so I will give you guys an update tommorrow...It will look cool in the Veterans parade pulling our Post American Legion WWI gun!

Joe

Joe Gamma

My Goats crept up to forty now and the man restoring it feels the more I run it the faster it it get. I have taken it out five times and it is a ton of fun rumbling aound the town. Goats drive like nothing else so I took the time to learn how to stop the thing which in an emergency can be an art.

As always thanks for your guys help.

Joe

Joe Gamma

So where are the pics of the parade? Just wondering.
Some things were not ment to be. I was going to flat bed it the week before but got tied up with some fuel filter issues. The day before the parade my friend was going to load it up but it rained like **** so all he could do at the end off the day was load his two vehicles for another parade. The parade morning I get up bright and early and drive like heck through five towns and get there (I may have two hrs driving a goat) but when I started it and took off it thudded like heck like a tie rod went of something. I pull over and called my friend(Who is really old and refuses to cary a cell phone and his wife said I missed him by two minutes and he had left. The problem was ofcourse that the tires I am told have to warm up and this was the first cold morning I actually ever tried it. If i was more exsperienced I just would have known better. Its all prepped for next year and will go into storage at the end of this month. I have a image of it attached to the cannon and the front with decalse if anyone would care to see them. The Gun did look cool behind it.083.jpg

Attachments

Joe Gamma

I replaced all the fuel filters but the Goat seams to hug about 40...Hmmmm

Any ideas and maybe its just a tired engine.....On a lighter note I rumbled around Norton Mass with it to day and at this point I feel coMfortable driving it anywheres....

Goat!!!

/Joe

1958 M274

Hi Joe,
While driving your gama goat, if you run it wide open until it hits the governor, how fast does it go in first, second, and third gears? (high range, two wheel drive, of course)
Joe

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced all the fuel filters but the Goat seams to hug about 40...Hmmmm

Any ideas and maybe its just a tired engine.....On a lighter note I rumbled around Norton Mass with it to day and at this point I feel coMfortable driving it anywheres....

Goat!!!

/Joe
I was a 'Goat driver back on the 70s at Ft. Campbell (M-102 howitzer battery) and I could peg the speedo at 60-65 mph level ground and saw 70 mph downhill.

Not able to help with ideas but wanted to tell the group a 'Goat could move out pretty quick...

1958 M274

Joe C,
If you can reach the listed maximum permissible road speeds in lower gears, then you know it isn't the governor holding you back. Sounds like you have already changed your fuel filters so you know that isn't the issue.

Does it start easy and have immediate throttle response when you rev it up? If not, it may be sucking in air as others have suggested.

Have you checked or changed your air filter? If you look down in the air filter base with the air filter canister removed, there is a screen wire over the inlet to the blower. Be sure to check this for any foreign objects that might be restricting air flow.

Have you checked your throttle linkage to ensure that the throttle lever on the governor is moved it's full range of motion when you actuate the foot throttle?

If you have done all of the above without any success, have you adjusted the valves and set the injectors? Do you know what size injectors your engine has in it? It should have N50.

Does it smoke much when starting off or when accelerating while running through the gears?

Out of curiosity, is your engine the one originally installed in the factory and has it been rebuilt? There is usually a data plate on the passenger side of the valve cover with rebuild info if it has been.

Good luck,
Joe S

1958 M274

I was a 'Goat driver back on the 70s at Ft. Campbell (M-102 howitzer battery) and I could peg the speedo at 60-65 mph level ground and saw 70 mph downhill.

Not able to help with ideas but wanted to tell the group a 'Goat could move out pretty quick...
No doubt that a goat is faster than people think they would be. I made this video on the way home from the Steel Soldiers Georgia Rally a few weeks ago...

Gama Goat Cruising at 60 MPH - YouTube

This one too...
M561 Gama Goat 0 - 60 MPH - YouTube

I hit a slight uphill grade on the last one and couldn't quite make it to 60...

Gamagoat1

Two things to check that most overlook.
1. The carrier bearing on the drive shaft is most probably crap and could be locking up.
2. Feel your brake drums after a run. Goats have notorious brake problems. Just a slight drag of one shoe can really slow you down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks